• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Bolt Action Rifle Suggestions

bacaw

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2013
Hello all,

I realize that "Tactical" is a completely loaded term and this question has been beaten to death, but I am trying to get into long range shooting and am at a complete loss! Hopefully the wisdom of this forum will eventually rub off on me :cool:

Anyways, my goals are to build a 'tactical' rifle which is capable of becoming an absolute hammer. I should let you know I have experience with handguns, shotguns and the ak platform - however I have never even fired a caliber larger than 7.62x39. From my reading I seem to have settled on the .308 (which means I can still shoot 7.62x51 right?).

I would like to stress I am NOT looking for the cheap way out! I am willing to spend my hard earned cash to buy something I can use for years and come to depend on.

Qualities I look for:

- Ruggedness
- Shooter Comfort
- Precision
- Very smooth action
- Barrel ready for suppressor
- Enough rail to support night vision -> this is probably an unrealistic desire, but I would enjoy the capability

I live in the southwest, so Id like to be able to bring this rifle out into dust storms and difficult weather of all types and not worry about rust, deterioration, and general rifle degredation. I want to take care of my rifle, but I don't want to stress out if water or dust were to touch it. I see the XLR chassis highly sought after on this forum and it seems like a great base to build from, but I feel my lack of knowledge would prevent me from building a solid rifle from the ground up.

I am currenltly looking at a Sako TRG 22, Building some custom Remington 700 with XLR chassis, or the Savage 10 series of rifles. AI rifles seem slightly out of my price range, however I could swing the cash if you all thing I should buy once cry once.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Hopefully you will be able to help me out.

Thank You!

Love my Savage with XLR chassis, and you can't argue with the results. My opinion would be to get whatever you like, just about anything will shoot well these days, as long as you do your part. Just don't spend so much you can't afford to shoot it.;)

1st: TacOps xray 51(buy once cry one)
2nd: Ga Precision(buy once cry one)
3rd: Remington 700 5r 308
308 is fun to shoot, and it's easy to find the ammo.

My best advice would be to try stocks until you find one that you love, and fits. There are many great deals on the PX on custom 308s, AI's, 700's, and many others. They will all most likely shoot better than your abilities. I would find one with the stock you like, or get a barreled action and have it fitted in that stock. Ultimately, it's about what you want. Just find a stock that fits, and any of the actions out there will work. I prefer Defiance or a custom 700 by one of the great smiths here on the hide GAP, SAC, ect. (Just the two I have had great experiences with.) It is a fun experience, and a very expensive and addicting sport. We haven't even talked about optics yet...

Did you also check out the AI AE?
Much cheaper than the AW or AX models.
That would be my first choice.

Close 2nd the sako trg22.

After that, any action you like + quality barrel + chassis system.
I would, considering budget, not get the Remington or Savage offerings, but go for a custom action as my 3rd choice. Preferably something with a remington 700 footprint, so you have plenty of chassis systems to choose from.

My advice would be to find a local gunsmith that you can chew this over with. He may have several stocks and even some rifles for you to man handle...... If there isnt anything local, give GreTan Rifles a call or Scott Harrold with Quarter Minute Magnums a call. I have a rifle from each of them and they are superb. Good luck!

I would not buy a Tac Ops or other custom 700 if durability and reliability is your major concern.

First, I'd see if I could get an AI AE MK III in my price range. If so, that would be choice #1. If not, the TRG-22 should do. Then after that, I would consider a factory 700 and the best glass I could find, with the intention to learn and upgrade with the knowledge I gain wearing out that first barrel.

I agree with Tylerw02, my AIAE MKIII will do anything any of my customs will or have done and maybe do it better. As far as price they are right in line with most custom rifles. There is nothing wrong with building a rifle but for me if I could only have one the AI gets my money.

Desert tactical, I love mine and with caliber conversions you can go many directions with it all on the same platform. Check them out at desert tactical arms.

I got into long range precision shooting about 5 years ago, taking my time to learn by trial and error. I used a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and an Remington 700P in .308. I found I totally enjoyed long range shooting and upgraded a few months ago.

I purchased a Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25x56 scope with all the bells and whistles.
I currently am waiting for my custom GA Precision Hospitaller in .308.

I think the .308 is a really good round. It is very accurate. Reloading for it is forgiving and you can find many variations for Match Grade Ammunition. I live in Reno, NV, which is similar to your conditions in the Southwest. I have encountered dust storms and high winds during my rifle competitions. It did not seem to affect the rifle.

The only thing I can stress is how important good optics are. Get a single or double turn turret to avoid getting "lost in the turrets", front focal plane so you can range more effectively under varying conditions and the highest quality glass you can buy. You will not regret it.

That is my two cents worth. Welcome to the wonderful world of long range shooting, you will love it!

AI AE MkIII

So I am interested in the possibility of the AI AE MkIII, as I feel its quality is regarded highly by this forum. One question remains - This rifle has no front rail for night vision?? Is this something I would be able to add on at a later date or does that become impossible? I don't wish to limit myself in this regard.

Thank you

The new AI do, thought they have a full rail? But what are you going to use night vision for is my question.. The only NV worth wasteing any more of my money on is 9000 bucks.

AI AE MkIII

The only thing is, the 4000$ base rifle cost seems pretty steep. Would I be sacrificing a lot in quality to move to a Sako TRG 22??

The ai just has alot of nice features for shooting, its pricey but if I had the money Id be more than happy to spend it on a rifle like that. I never shot a sako, but the hunting rifles i have used i disliked but Im a picky guy, im sure if I used it more and more Id be happy with it, but I have a remmy and their like the AR of the bolt action world, all sorts of goodies for them..

The only thing is, the 4000$ base rifle cost seems pretty steep. Would I be sacrificing a lot in quality to move to a Sako TRG 22??

The base AE is $3600 i believe, $4000 is for the folder model.
If you need a folder, the TRG is actually WAY more expensive... Like $6k or so?

Both are quality pieces. I'd say try and find some reviews comparing the two.
Also see: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...l-aiaw-vs-sako-trg-22-my-experience-both.html
It mentions the AW not the AE. Only real difference is the bonded action.

DTA SRS Gen 2 or wait for new A1 in 308. Many other barrel caliber conversions for same receiver. One stock and one scope with multiple barrel conversions and 0.5 MOA accuracy or less in package 12 inches or more shorter than other rifles. As mentioned above, find someone who will let you shoot one. Perfect balance and comfort for me. Have A1 on order, which should be here in the next few months. I'm in Scottsdale, AZ and let you shoot mine once it's set up. Just PM me if you're near buy and I'll let you know when I'm ready to go. Really can't beat this package!

Honestly- if I were you, I'd get a Remington 5R or AAC-SD, and spend some time on it. Use the time to network and go hands-on with other people's rifles, and by the time you've shot that barrel out you'll know exactly what you want and you won't have to either settle with a rifle that doesn't fit your needs exactly or take the hit from selling it and buying something different. All of these rifles being discussed fit people differently and have different advantages, you need to know what works for you before dropping the coin.

This option may not provide the instant gratification of a high-dollar purchase, but will provide 90% of the utility immediately and a much better solution later. Quality glass can move from the learner rifle to the big purchase when you make it.

Last edited:
+1 for getting a rem 5r or similar to start. my first rifle was a rem 700 VS and with match 308 loads shot great.

as for AI rifles:
there was a video floating around on AI rifles, the rep in the video shoots a group at I think 200 yards, takes the rifle apart including the barrel, re-assembles it and shoots another group over the first one.