• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Carbine Classes??

Tango_Bravo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
I am looking at attending a Tactical Carbine course this next summer, and have some questions for those of you that have attended any course on the subject.

1: Where did you go?

2: How well did you feel that the Instructors paid attention to your specific desires regarding class material?

3: Would you recommend the location you attended?

Thanks in advance,

DeltaRomeoSierra

Re: Tactical Carbine Classes??

Beirut on the bayou
laugh.gif
OJT

I am located in the Northeast.

Travel is NOT an issue for me. If the training is high quality, and the Instructors are good, I don't care how far I have to go.

Look at Grey group training, US Training, Tiger Swan. They have a lot of courses to offer

Have you attended any of the courses provided by any of those companies?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beirut on the bayou
laugh.gif
OJT </div></div>

Too true. Dats right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beirut on the bayou
laugh.gif
OJT </div></div>

Too true. Dats right. </div></div>

You know it brother, I gotta make groceries, where's my gat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaSierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you attended any of the courses provided by any of those companies?

Thanks
</div></div>

I just finished with a course from Grey Group with Jason Falla from Redback One, Jason was a fine instructor from the Aussie SAS with combat experience in AFG and Iraq, he has been a pistol/carbine instructor in the US for some time with several reputable companies and now is on his own with his company Redback One.
I have attended the 5 day pistol/carbine, the Advanced Pistol, Ar-15 armorers course, and Carbine Instructor at US Training when it was BW, all of the courses were well instructed and well thought out with training handouts to refer to. They have an armorer on site so if any guns have issues they can be repaired on site and get you back to training. I was having issues with my m4 during the pistol carbine course and had them check it during a lunch break. The barrel was shot out and I had the armorer install a new barrel and I was back up and shooting after lunch. They are a one stop shop for all kinds of weapon training.
I have not attended the Tiger Swan course, but they are next on my list of Go to this training.

I recommend USSA. However I work there as an instructor. You will get either Mike Seeklander or Erik Lund. Both great instructors and shooters. Both have the ability to combine competition techniques with practical reasoning. Erik puts some classes on through us down in Georgia. Our facility is in Tulsa, Ok. There are several good facilities out there. Google them all before signing up. There are a couple that I would stay away from but wont name due to professionalism.

Check out DefensiveEdge. Sully is a great instructor and ocassionally does training outside of MN

I think you should have a serious self assessment before you determine which class you want to take.

If you don't have a strong background and don't work on your chops a bunch, a good basic carbine class with a reputable instructor is probably just the ticket.

On the other hand if you have a pretty strong background your going to run into the limiting factors of the other students in the group and the instructor.

I spent a week with a very well known instructor and caught one mindset tip and a recommendation to run 2 white lights on my house carbine - b/c 2 is 1 and all that. I met some nice people but I can't say I learned anything about running the gun.

I had an outstanding 2 day course with Super Dave Harrington yet we were limited by 3 individuals that had no business being in the class (it was up to a separate 3rd party to screen the class - not Dave). Dave set up some drills that began to work on shooting within traffic and on angle and depth of angle in CQB. Some of these drills involved weaving in front of and behind shooters in a column coming simultaneously from both your front and your rear. You were hot and firing on the move, they were hot and firing on the move, as the pace picked up you were pretty much firing within an arms length of the other shooter as you passed each other. Fire, muzzle down, pass, muzzle up - fire, run, fire, muzzle down, pass, muzzle up, fire....Everyone needed to be able to move at a pace where they did not miss the target (and that varies according to ability), maintained the appropriate footwork to move through traffic, and never ever muzzle someone else.

We had a couple guys who got yelled at - a lot. They became known (to me and Oregon Shooter) as Tard1 and Tard2.

In short, know where you are on the continuum and make sure you, the school, and the instructor are a good match. Remember - don't be 'that' guy.

Good luck

Grey Group training is definitely the way to go. They list classes with some of the best instructors in the country. With the various dates and classes being held you should be able to find something. I have taken classes with Tigerswan as well as Larry Vickers. Kyle Defoor is also a great intructor i have a class scheduled with later in the year. You cannot go wrong with these guys. Depending on your skill level if you are starting off, training with someone local just to get the fundamentals might be a viable option. As you have stated travel is not a concern but most intro or basic classes are one day classes. If you are taking into account airfare as well as hotel,ammo, and rental, it can get expensive just for an intro class. If you are more advanced classes on muliple days with top tier instructors are definitely worth the travel time and expenses. Good luck with your choice and stay safe.

We offer a great class as well.

But we take the carbine to 300yds and still do all the same things others do.

Check out the post I have here in the training pit we have 1 slot still open for the APR class.

John

CSAT was great

Anything under the grey group umbrella will fit your needs