• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Tactical Comp Practice?

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Hey guys, looking to get seriously into competing in the coming months. Setting up a permanant steel range out to 1k this weekend. Can anyone give me some ideas on what kinds of drills I should be running and courses of fire I should put myself through in order to get some good practice in? I will have a spotter most of the time. Thanks in advance...

-SBS

Re: Tactical Comp Practice?

Positional, barricade, awkward positions, weakhand, hold over and unders. Do the above under the clock for stress addition to the training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Positional, barricade, awkward positions, weakhand, hold over and unders. Do the above under the clock for stress addition to the training. </div></div>

Well alrighty then! That gives me plenty of things to work on! Thanks for the help Rob!

-SBS

Whatever you do, do it under the stress of clock or a limited round count. I find that shooting without clock or with unlimited ammo, the training does not realistically prepare me for tactical comps. Make the stupid errors in training.

Other stuff to practice - UKD, movers, up/down slopes, CBS, urban prone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, do it under the stress of clock or a limited round count. I find that shooting without clock or with unlimited ammo, the training does not realistically prepare me for tactical comps. Make the stupid errors in training.

Other stuff to practice - UKD, movers, up/down slopes, CBS, urban prone.

</div></div>

I'm still trying to figure out how to do movers at the new range I'm putting together, I had thought of time limits and limited round counts, now I'm gonna do it for sure. A few questions though. When you're shooting UKD, are you given the target size? What is CBS? And what's the difference between urban prone and shooting prone in the woods or desert?

-SBS

Generally yes you are given the sizes of the target when ranging for a UKD match. CBS stands for cold bore shot and it is generally the first couple of rounds out of the barrel. Some rifles have a shift in the point of impact between the first round and the successive shots after that. This is where a data book comes in handy so that the shift can be recorded and referred to later on.

I think what he means by urban prone is where the rifle is at a 90* angle so that it can get lower to the ground vs. a standard prone position. Now, with the rifle at 90* the impact of the rounds will shift low left if the rifle is laid on its left and low right if the rifle is laid on its right side. It's something to at least practice a few times so that you know how much of a shift your rifle will have and add it to your toolbox.

Other than that Rob's list is a pretty one to use to start getting ready for matches and it sounds like you have an excellent training range. Another thing to practice, and it might sound silly, but dope out some really close shots like 10-50 yards. I've been to a couple of matches where there were shots that were under 30 yards and it might sound like an easy shot but plenty of people have been humbled by it. Hope it helps and good luck.

1st and foremost go compete!!!! IMHO best way to get a feel for what you need to practice and any modifcations required for your kit. A large amount of the comp's have classes tied in with them which can be very helpful even for the seasoned pro as its a perishable skill

I will offer a bit of a contradiction
Do your initial barrier, awkward etc drill slowly. Learn them and get somewhat comfortable before doing them timed. A good way to screw up a newly learned tactic, position etc is to fail to fully understand it then try to add stress.

What does Rob know about a match? Has he ever shot one? I find reading a lot of stuff on the net about comps and complaining about the stages makes me the better comp shooter. And make sure to by a barrel burner and all the cool support gear with 5 mags.......Or you could do what this ROB guy suggests.

Shoot 3/8" dots prone at 100 until your trigger control is perfect. Add time limits and make sure to do it also from your weak side: One shot in eight to ten seconds from standing; five shots in ten to twelve seconds from behind the rifle.

Then sling-up and shoot 5" dots at 300, sitting and kneeling, until that's not a real problem anymore either. Don't worry about time limits on this one. Do practice the same thing from the weak side, though.

With those two things down, move to 700 and shoot cold-bores at 1 moa steel.

That'll get you started.
wink.gif

Dang fellas, thanks for all the input. And yes, I do realize that doing an actual match will be one of the best ways to figure out what I need to work on, just didn't want to go in blind. I'm more than willing to put the time and rounds in to get better, and I've got a pretty nice kit. Just wanted to get my practice sessions nailed down so I can improve as quickly as possible. Thanks guys!

-SBS

SageBrush I wish I still lived in Fernley. If I hadn't moved away 3 weeks ago we would have got hooked up.

For your information Palomino Gun Club has a Long Range Varmint shoot on the 25th of this month. This will be a good way to get your feet wet and have a blast at the same time. The competition can be very stiff at these shoots.

If you have never shot an event before this is the best place to get started. They are very Newb friendly and will do what they can to help you get started.

If you decide to go get ahold of Scotty he runs the event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SageBrush I wish I still lived in Fernley. If I hadn't moved away 3 weeks ago we would have got hooked up.

For your information Palomino Gun Club has a Long Range Varmint shoot on the 25th of this month. This will be a good way to get your feet wet and have a blast at the same time. The competition can be very stiff at these shoots.

If you have never shot an event before this is the best place to get started. They are very Newb friendly and will do what they can to help you get started.

If you decide to go get ahold of Scotty he runs the event. </div></div>

I used to be a member there about 10 years ago, did BR matches. Then I moved to Vegas for almost 7 years and didn't shoot at all down there. Now I'm looking to get busy again. I will look into the varmint matches, I din't know they would be similiar to tactical matches. Thanks for the help.

-SBS

For the movers-

Get an old garage door opener, one of the ones with a chain drive and with a remote control. The remote control allows you to put a guy in a safe spot to run the mover. Simply run the chain w/ target on it out and then back and you have a mover.

On the UKD-
You can practice this dry - all you need is a reticle and a known target size. Mill it w/ the reticle and then laser the target to see how you did.

Urban prone is 90 cant. Do a few of these and record the change in dope to get you on target.

(Just like others have already mentioned)

I usually practice for matches by taking stages from different comps and dry firing them or run them using my .22 trainer. When your practicing go slow and make sure your technique is correct. Once you start getting the hang of it shoot at small targets under a time limit. Another good way to practice for matches is to shoot matches.

Common stages are;
Movers
Support side
Various ranges
Angled shots
Range estimation (some matches)
Port side
Barricades
Dot drills
And things you didn't even know you had to practice.

SagebrushShooter, try picking ScottyS's brain. He is in the Reno area and has been shooting matches for years. He even puts on matches at the Palomino gun club. I believe they are having a long range clinic this weekend and will be covering F-Class, Benchrest and Practical rifle matches.

I may have missed it but, something to practice is getting your heart rate up and learning to control your shots in this condition. Example lay rifle down then run 25 yards and shoot at a fixed target say the dot drill, repeat 5 times. Give your self a time limit it to make it harder....

Wins come from the wind practice,practice,practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st and foremost go compete!!!!
</div></div>

A lot of good stuff has been posted, but getting to some matches is the best thing. You can get all distracted here on line about what you need and what you need to do, but all that may go out the window FOR YOU when you actually get out there.

Run what you brung until you really see what works for you.

On the practice-a lot of good has been mentioned. Its all elementary:
-practice basic marksmanship
-practice standard stuff (positional, barricades, etc) and once you have that down, at time/physical exertion
-look at match threads for pictures of stages and ideas on what kind of crazy shit you may encounter
-understand that match directors are always thinking of new ways to mess with your head

As I told a buddy of mine-plan for everything you can think of, then be ready to throw your plans away and adapt for what you haven't thought of......

Solid fundamentals will take you very far in adapting to everything else.

Oh, GET THAT RIFLE OFF THE GOD DAMNED BENCH!!!!

In addition to all of the above, be mindful of picking one set-up and running the hell out of it. I am guilty of trying to build THE rifle, THE scope, and THE load over and over again. In reality, the only way to get better is to get your equipment down, and then burn the barrel out with one load. It's taken me alot of money and frustration to realize that...

I agree run/ride it like you stole it!!!! I see guys all the time for every match with the new perfect gun that will fix thier ills when in fact they could have spent the money on ammo and shot more. Built a new MA-TEN and will only run it this year @ matches to get to know it even though I will place lower than I have grown accustomed with my Tikka T3 Tactical. It is the best way to master your kit

Wait, you are supposed to practice for these things?!

Just make sure all your equipment is up to snuff before you drive 17 hours to south Texas!

Seriously, positional is the biggest area that I see most people needing improvement...including me.

I would focus on your weaknesses. Ackward positions with limited time. There is that old saying, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. That goes along way.

I can tell you that ROB knows what he is talking about. Hes been competing in matches for some time and places in the top 10 most of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is that old saying, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.</div></div>

Slow is just...slow.

It's quite true that speed can only result from correct form, and the way to acquire correct form is to <span style="font-style: italic">start</span> slowly. But if you stay slow, you'll be...slow.

Been a couple days since I checked this thread. Thanks again guys. I have been guilty of over obsessing about my gun instead of just shooting it. I realize I have a nice stick, and just need to run the load I have and practice, practice, practice. Thanks again for all the input fellas.

-SBS

Baloons, I like baloons, two different color baloons tied together bobbing in the wind.

One baloon is desinated as a hostage, the other is the bandit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, you are supposed to practice for these things?!
</div></div>

-My biggest downfall is that your statement is a 100% valid one for me. At least I have no less than a match a month to shoot.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Baloons, I like baloons, two different color baloons tied together bobbing in the wind.

One baloon is desinated as a hostage, the other is the bandit. </div></div>

Last year I took some friends out to shoot. I tacked a Helium filled balloon on a string at 600 yards. I bet these guys shot 300 rounds at this balloon before it was finally hit. They laughed the whole time shooting and said that was the most fun they ever had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SageBrush I wish I still lived in Fernley. If I hadn't moved away 3 weeks ago we would have got hooked up.

If you decide to go get ahold of Scotty he runs the event.</div></div>

Hey man, I am in Elko, We should set up a long range practical practice outside of town and we could have some fun. Let me know if you want to

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is that old saying, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.</div></div>

Slow is just...slow.

It's quite true that speed can only result from correct form, and the way to acquire correct form is to <span style="font-style: italic">start</span> slowly. But if you stay slow, you'll be...slow.
</div></div>

this is why.....the pros slam down plenty of monster before the matches, ....it speeds up SLOW..............

In my experience the top ten guys at a match are pretty good at everything (positional, barricades, ukd's, wind, staying calm, etc.), and the bottom ten guys at each match usually had some equipment/dope problem. Everyone else in the middle just has good days and bad days and are good at some things and stink at others. So, I definately wouldn't be intimidated to just go shoot a match to help you learn what you need to learn. As long as you know your dope and your equipment doesn't break down, I can almost promise you you won't end up last, and even if you do, you'll learn so much.... Most likely you'll end up in the middle like the majority of the shooters telling yourself, "If I had just missed a little less and moved a little faster I could have won this thing, man I can't wait until the next match...."

Oh, one other thing to practice is moving in your gear and deploying your rifle/gear quickly. It is amazing how awkward it can be at first to move quickly, climb, duck ,etc. with a slung rifle, magazine belt, pistol, etc. if you're not used to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, one other thing to practice is moving in your gear and deploying your rifle/gear quickly. It is amazing how awkward it can be at first to move quickly, climb, duck ,etc. with a slung rifle, magazine belt, pistol, etc. if you're not used to it. </div></div>

This is good advice. I still remember an old first sgt of mine saying: "we train like we fight." So get all your match day gear together, including the clothes you will wear, and train in that stuff. Amazing how many little things you will straighten out, a collar that is too tight in prone, a battle belt that doesn't allow you to go into seating position, etc.

Set aside time and ammo to run the Sniper's Hide Competition Dot Drill. I have found it to be helpful. Their is a video of Frank running the drill with Jacob shooting floating around here somewhere.