• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Invovations and Feddersen what the H***

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
So I purchased a Tactical Innovations 10-22 receiver and matched bolt. I also purchased a Feddersen 10-22 heavy barrel. I went to put the two together. There is no way that this barrel will go into the receiver the way that they built the rail. Has anyone else ran into this problem.

Ive heard of needing to lightly sand the barrel or using a rubber mallet to get the barrel to seat but wow dont think either of those will help. Have you tried contacting tactical innovations to see what they say yet?

A friend of mine puts the barrel and action into the freezer and he says they fit better.I have installed Tactical solutions barrels into ruger receivers and all had to be lightly sanded.

A friend of mine puts the barrel and action into the freezer and he says they fit better.I have installed Tactical solutions barrels into ruger receivers and all had to be lightly sanded.

I've put 10/22 receivers in a warm oven and barrels in the freezer, usually when using a barrel designed to be a tight fit, like one from Kidd. It often makes what would be a press/interference fit at room temp into a relatively easy assembly.

Reactions: bhoges
I've put 10/22 receivers in a warm oven and barrels in the freezer, usually when using a barrel designed to be a tight fit, like one from Kidd. It often makes what would be a press/interference fit at room temp into a relatively easy assembly.

Yep, I've done this with impossible to fit barrels and it works perfectly.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
A-rob and Aggie are right, Do it the easy way and use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) on the receiver to expand the opening. I've done this on a few hard to fit 10/22 receivers from Ruger and PWS. Works both for barrel installation and removal. You can also put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours, but the heat gun method has been 100%. Put a little anti-seize on the barrel tenon during install.

Reference PWS's manual for barrel install, page 19 https://manualzz.com/doc/6763862/t3-summit-user-manual---shade-mountain-armory

Don't sand parts to fit, the tenon is the critical mating surface area between the two parts! If the barrel is loose then the scope/rail/receiver POA won't be consistent with where the barrel is aiming and it will not be consistent. This is another example why I no longer buy used items of unknown history.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
A-rob and Aggie are right, Do it the easy way and use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) on the receiver to expand the opening. I've done this on a few hard to fit 10/22 receivers from Ruger and PWS. Works both for barrel installation and removal. You can also put the barrel in the freezer for a few hours, but the heat gun method has been 100%. Put a little anti-seize on the barrel tenon during install.

Reference PWS's manual for barrel install, page 19 https://manualzz.com/doc/6763862/t3-summit-user-manual---shade-mountain-armory

Don't sand parts to fit, the tenon is the critical mating surface area between the two parts! If the barrel is loose then the scope/rail/receiver POA won't be consistent with where the barrel is aiming and it will not be consistent. This is another example why I no longer buy used items of unknown history.

Heat gun, or oven at 200 degrees. This is what I used last time for a match AR barrel and a heavy wall upper that would have been impossible to fit without dama
From looking at the pic he needs a cutting torch, not a heat gun.

It should be relieved for the barrel under the rail extension. If there is some funky machining there blocking the barrel then that's a different story. Can we get a picture of the receiver head on without the barrel in the way?

Reactions: Bradu
Did you get it to fit? Can't imagine heat/cold would make that much of a difference to get it to fit right.

Have you called the companies and asked about compatibility?

Heat gun, or oven at 200 degrees. This is what I used last time for a match AR barrel and a heavy wall upper that would have been impossible to fit without dama

It should be relieved for the barrel under the rail extension. If there is some funky machining there blocking the barrel then that's a different story. Can we get a picture of the receiver head on without the barrel in the way?

I would like to see a picture as well. OP, have you measured with a set of calipers to get an idea of how much of a difference there is between the barrel OD and receiver ID? As mother heat and cold method will work well depending on the fit. As far as removal I believe Kidd has a little to for this should you ever need to remove the barrel provided it will actually fit.

I measured the opening with to a .921 and the barrel to a .923 I hope heating will give me the clearance I will need. How much force is too much.

.002 interference fit is getting into the range where you might want to consider cooling the barrel along with heating the reciever. Proper alignment will be important along with working quickly. An old millwright type trick is to cool the one part with "redneck liquid nitrogen" (crushed/pelletized dry ice mixed with isopropyl alcohol forms a gel, it sublimates cooler than frozen C02 but not as cold as the real thing). Obviously proper PPE /safety procedures/common sense fo a long way with this course of action

I've installed tight barrels several times on my Crooked Ruger*. The secret is to be fast as possible as you only have seconds to make your move.

Of the two elements, the heated receiver is the most important. Get the barrel end of that bad boy HOT! and then insert fast. No dawdling. You only need to heat up the barrel end of the receiver.

The cold barrel is less important. I usually wrap my barrel up in some sort of insulating material prior to freezing with just the tenon showing. I stage the barrel nearby to the receiver by covering it with bagged ice or blue ice packs.

My technique is to use the heat gun to heat the receiver end, drop the heat gun, and as fast as possible insert the barrel.

Now to my Crooked Ruger reference. The bore of my receiver is tilted left by about 12 MOA. The less-than-straight-aligned tenon bore is fairly common. So when you insert don't try just straight in only, wiggle it around at different angles to see if that makes a difference. When I moved my barrels to the side, the insert went easy.

Usually, it takes me a couple runs to finally get the barrel installed. So don't give up!

BTW .... Installing the Feddersen barrel is WORTH THE EFFORT. I started with a Fed barrel, then dumbly sold it, and then moved to try several flavors of Kidd barrels. I'm back with Fed and very happy. The difference in accuracy is very visible between my runs with Kidd barrels and the Fed. The Fed is approaching Bolt Action accuracy. If my Crooked Ruger wasn't off center, I'd bet the Fed would match my CZ452.

One thing I've learned is that Match Barrels won't extract live rounds on my Crooked Ruger. I shoot Appleseed so extracting live rounds consistently is necessary. That's why I changed barrels so much. If I had known about the Crooked Ruger issue, I could have saved a ton of money by ditching the Ruger received and simply go with an aftermarket receiver. Someday, I'll get a Feddersen receiver.

PPS .... you are smart building a 10/22 with all aftermarket parts. Long term, you'll save a ton of money and grief AND have a better rifle. My Crooked Ruger has soured me on all Ruger products.

Reactions: A-Rob and Tx_Aggie
How about an accuracy update once you shoot it? I have a Fedderson on my CZ 455 and it shot bugholes once I fixed the headspace issue (CZ's problem, not the barrel's). I wish they still produced them.

Reactions: Bwana John
Glad to hear it worked out for you.The 10/22 is a fun gun that will bring you a whole lot of smiles.

It shot better than my new Tikka T1x at 50 yards. I need to get a trigger for this thing. It has a junky BX25 trigger. I have feelers out there for the Kid two stage. This gun shoots. Feddersen barrels will be my new go to. This scope was horrible as well. I am putting a Conevant 7 on it in about a week. Waiting on rings.

Reactions: Nouseforaname01
Nice stick,my fedderson in a titan shots great with cci standard also...
I put a Kidd single stage trigger in it....my favorite trigger ..
It should feel close to a tikka single stage.

Kidd triggers are something else, smooth as silk.