• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TACTICAL Rifle Competitions in Australia

immelmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2012
Australia
Hi,
looking for information in regard to Tactical Rifle competitions here in Australia, preferably at steel / gong / reactive targets. Not necessarily on a conventional rifle range, no flags etc.
Possibly including navigation components, scenarios and sleeping out also.

Please PM me if you don't want to post here.
Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg

If you're prepared to travel a little more there are a couple of options.

I run the Gunslinger Practical Long Range Shooting competitions in New Zealand, and there are several types of competitions. Details at Long Range Shooting in New Zealand - Gunslinger Our 2014 schedule will be posted in a few weeks.

There is also a group in New Caledonia who run 'Silhouette Sniper' competitions. I went a few months ago with a group from New Zealand to one of their shoots. Silhouette Sniper - Match Report

Both are primarily shot on metal targets, and are field style shoots.

And both groups can provide advice about the paperwork to enter and exit with rifles and ammunition. New Zealand and New Caledonia are 'hunter friendly' so bringing rifles isn't difficult so long as the documentation is done properly.

Regards
Shane

Thanks Shane, I've finished reading and it all looks awesome!
Both links have some excellent kit write-ups and competition reports.
I will be sure to include some of these events in my calendar - Thankyou.

Last edited:
Hi Greg there is a Tac match held in ACT fairly regally there where a few other clubs trying to get something off the ground.

A few guys that are involved in the match are active over here on the hide.

What part of Au are you from ?

Gunslingers match in NZ looks like a lot of fun. One of my mates brought the matches to my attention the other day I'm pretty interested in shooting.

I'm moving from Darwin to near the QLD Gold Coast very early next year. It's a shame Mt Isa is so far way, we could have trained together!

I participated in Precision Shooting Australia's Practical Rifle course this year in ACT and we had a 'Pr/T actical' competition.

I am hoping to find out more from the AIHPA High Power guys about what they have got on at Belmont in Brisbane this year as the 'Tactical Match' and 'Hard Core Tactical Match' interests me, even if it is Figure targets and on a square range.

I plan to do some orienteering to brush up on my navigation.

I've been told of a few invitation only competitions in Australia on private land but there are so many haters out there that they are being kept very quiet. Until I'm on the ground in those areas I don't think I'll hear much more.

Last edited:
Yeah we are being regulated out of shooting in this country.

A fair few ranges have been closed down in the last year or so due to not being able to comply with stupid rules.

It's pretty bad, and shooters seem to want it.

Just booked my flights yesterday, $303 with Jetstar incl 25kg luggage
Lookout NZ! See you at the end of May.
COF

The gunslinger events are great. Shane runs a tight ship with plenty of challenges to keep competitors entertained.

Couple of other shoots in NZ if Australians want to make the trip:

Yeah, no website for me - computers and websites is not a skill of mine :) Word of mouth advertisement and a couple of forums (one you linked above) only at this stage. Youtube channal has a few videos on it that demonstrate what events we are involved in.

More than one event at the moment. I think i was involved in running about 8 or so shoots over the last summer/autumn period and managed to attend another 4 as a competitor. No all long range events and a couple of rim fire events in there as well.