• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tactical shooting mats.

Herd Thinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
What should I look for in a shooting mat. Im not a tall guy so what size mat. I figure from knees up is standard, correct. Any advise.

A padded mat is nice if your actually Shooting in the field with uneven ground, rocks etc. For comforts sake.
And very light and thin mats is likely to flap or fly off if you shoot in windy conditions.
If you live in a enviornment that has much rain like me, and you actually shoot in such conditions waterproofing is a must too.

As for size anything that does not cover most of your body is a waste if your ever shooting outside in wet terrain fx, knees down at least.

So id say the best mat is determined by your use and surroundings.
Some of them also has some useful features like edge or laces to help support a bipod.
Some tucks compact and are lightweight.
Attachments for tent poles is a useful feature where i shoot as a 10-15 ms wind can make them fly off.
There are a lot of decent choices, you should decide what features you want first and make a choice from there.

Triad tactical, TAB gear, Voodoo, Crosstac, Midway, Creedmore sports, CED, Champion shooters supply etc.

All make good quality mats, although not all of them are 'tacticool', but it really does not matter anyway, a good mat is more important then it's looks every time.

Last edited:
The most important thing will be how the mat will be used. If you are just going from a vehicle to your shooting spot say less than 100yds then I highly recommend the midway deluxe shooting mat. Which you can catch on sale regularly for $50. I've had this mat for 3 years and it is my go to mat. If you will need to haul the mat around to get to your shooting position I would go with the much smaller triad shooting mat.

I have both the Cross Tac and the Triad Tactical mat. I think they are both great products! I'm not a big person so size wasn't really an issue, but I like the size of the Cross Tac and the padding is really great! I chose the Triad so I can strap it to my backpack and the fact that it is padded as well is a bonus. I had considered the Tab Gear mat for its portability but the lack of padding was the deal breaker. I can only speak about the Triad and Cross Tac as these are the only two that I have owned I think they are both awesome products and would highly recommend both!!!

Midway Deluxe shooting mat is a great economical choice that is packed with features. Mines going on a year and it's great for rocky terrain or wet conditions. Quality is on par with mats costing 2-3X as much.

Midway Deluxe shooting mat is a great economical choice that is packed with features. Mines going on a year and it's great for rocky terrain or wet conditions. Quality is on par with mats costing 2-3X as much.

I can second this. I got mine Christmas two years ago and has been going strong. It is very comfortable on both rocks and concrete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Midway is a good affordable option. It has a nice strip sewn in that you can tuck your bipod feet into to load the bipod. Padding is great too.

I put a vote in the for tab it folds up into a great little package and is 70" long and 30" wide aprox just tossed it on the floor and measured but its really well made has padding where your elbow will sit. It is made to have the rifle out in front of the mat so you get a ton of room to actually lay on. I was at the range all weekend with it and it laying on small rocks and concrete it was solid.We had some rain this weekend also and it kept me as dry as I cold hope for.(I am 5-8 and I fit nicely on it )