• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tactical stock choice......

shootdoc

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2011
missouri
would like your thoughts on choice of stock for a tactical bolt gun build....before you jump in, some qualifications. The build is on a surgeon 591 action, .260 rem, hart 24" bbl., jewel trigger, unknown rings yet, march 5-50 x 56 tactical scope, Lapua brass is prepped and ready. Regarding the stock, don't give a darn about brand name, or used or new or what's the coolest trend. I care about 1 shot long range hits and small groups, so if the price is $50 or $1000 I don't want to spend 1 more nickel than will improve the results...Now have at it...and thanx for your thoughts

Re: tactical stock choice......

thanx for the thought, I knew AICS would come up really quickly, why do you think performance would be improved enough to justify the extra cost over say mcmillan, B+C, manners, HSprec. etc.

excuse my ignorance, elaborate on the troll thing, (maybe about my x-girl friend??)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">excuse my ignorance, elaborate on the troll thing, (maybe about my x-girl friend??)</div></div>

complete your profile

They are all good, its personal preference by feel and fit for you.

I like the way you can adjust the length of pull and comb height on the AICS. If you are really looking for the type of accuracy you desire then a properly fitted stock is a huge step in that direction.

Some people bitch about the weight, and I'll say, the AICS are hefty, they feel hefty. Get used to it and it won't bug you. The weight also helps with recoil management and bipod hop. Which leads us to the next consideration. The bipod. I noticed improvement in bipod hop going to the AICS with a harris from an HS precision stock. It was night and day when I put an atlas on my AICS with a spigot. Much easier to load and manage the recoil with a high end bipod.

Now my crosshairs rarely come off target when i fire, and if they do, its because I botched my NPA. You won't go wrong with the AICS. One consideration to keep in mind, if you plan on running a DBM system, you're looking at easily over 300 for the mag and bottom metal and another 50-100 for shipping and inletting. Its a standard feature on the AICS and one of the principle reasons I went with the AICS over a McMillan stock. The AICS has a better cost/benefit ratio.

Some people say skim bed the AICS, I say try it first and see how it shoots. I can pick mine up and get it to shoot half moa without any real effort at 100, I can get it to shoot in the low .3's if I'm as diligent with my shooting form as I should be. Never saw the need to bed mine.

Rich

Manners stocks makes excellent stocks and you should take a good look at them before making your choice. I have a few and love them. With their new molded in camo you can have some nice choices in colors as well. Different styles of stocks for whatever feel you like.

If you want a DBM then you can get their DBM Mini Chassis system which is a bolt in system just like the AI. Here's some info
http://mannerstocks.com/mcs-dbm-mini-chassis/

Some people, myself included, don't like the feel of the AICS so you should try to feel one ahead of time if possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners stocks makes excellent stocks and you should take a good look at them before making your choice. I have a few and love them. With their new molded in camo you can have some nice choices in colors as well. Different styles of stocks for whatever feel you like.

If you want a DBM then you can get their DBM Mini Chassis system which is a bolt in system just like the AI. Here's some info
http://mannerstocks.com/mcs-dbm-mini-chassis/

Some people, myself included, don't like the feel of the AICS so you should try to feel one ahead of time if possible.

</div></div>

+1 the thumbhole on the AICS didn't work for me at all. I have larger hands and the pistol grip was just way too small. Never could get comfy behind that thing.

Take a look at the McRee TMAG, either fixed or folder depending on what you prefer.

Like previously posted, it comes down what you like. Thumbhole stocks don't do it for me. I like straight drops with a nice swell. Go to a local shoot and start talking to the shooters. Most will let you check out the stock and give you more info than you want about them. Just make sure you ask before you touch.

When i first got my 5R i was dead set on a MCM A5 and thats what i have, i do love it. But re-thinking it i'd have a hard time choosing between MCM A4, Manners T2A, Manners T4, or AICS. Turns out the MCM fits perfect though, palm swell is good, stock shoulders very well. I got to handle a bunch at my local gunsmith's store he had plenty of MCMs to try out. I imagine a smith near you would have the same?

Suggest you decide if you like thumbhole stocks or not. I personally don't. Then decide if you want a more traditional stock or something of a spinoff from AR stocks. What opinions do you want? Folding? Nightvision rail? Etc... Do you want a bipod? How do you want to mount your bipod? Are you shooting with a rear bag or do you want to mount an accushot Monopod?

Try to answer those questions first, then you'll get better advice.

I really like the Manners stocks, my most recent is the T5-A which is there adjustable thumbhole model. McMillan and Accuracy International make great products as well.

awesome info, that's what I was looking for, the finer point between stocks you can only get from putting a bunch of rounds through one. Thanx for the time, this will help me.

Thanx for the info, messed with a manners last weekend at an F-class shoot, felt good and was pretty light.

MANNERS +1

I have both. I only have played with the T5A for a little bit before sending it off to the gunsmith. I liked it but I don't have huge hands either. The Manners T4 and McMillan A5 are a push. Pick the one you can get the quickest.

I do like the mini-chassis in the Manners.

I think there is a NIB A5 for sale in the classifieds
grin.gif

manners for sure, or if you want a chassis get a XLR or a AI

if at all possible, get behind as many of the different stocks you are interested in before purchasing. This can often be hard to do if you dont know people with the stocks. You could post in the member link up section an interest in this and I am sure some 'hiders would help you out.

Personally, I went with a McMillan A5, sight unseen. I have been very pleased with it. A new stock that is out and might strike your fancy is the Sentinel from Terry Cross. I got behind one about 2 weeks ago, WOW!

Anyway, I have seen everything from Bell & Carlson's, McMillan's, AICS, H&S's, and others. Like others have said, it boils down to what makes you happy.

Between any McM or Manners with a DBM system weather it is Surgeon, Badger, Seekins, CDI, or any of the others that are out there it is a wash on money. AICS is cheaper if you don't bed it.

I have a 591 bedded in an AICS and it is a hammer. Hate the weight the AICS adds. Have McM, and Manners to swap it out into and it drop at least two lbs off the top.

They are all solid systems, you just have to decide if you want to pay the extra 150-200 to have something bedded to make it better or not. If not then the Manners with the mini chassis or an AICS is the way to go. Otherwise they will all need bedded and you will spend the same amount of money.

I really like the Mcmillan A5 with a thumbwheel adjust cheek piece. This stock fits me really well. I have a second one on order for a build with a Surgeon 591 action. It will be a switch bbl rifle. 1st bbl is 6.5x47Lapua.
I really want to handle some of the Manners stocks. I don't see many at shoots in my local area.

thumbhole stocks help with consistant line up on rifle at all?

+1 for AICS it fitted me well and cost wise worked out cheapest compared to getting any other fibre stock + dbm + bedding (provided you know a gunsmith who know what he is doing)

the guys from KRG also have a new stock for rem700 (and clone) coming out soon, it should work well like AICS but with different shape fell so if the AICS dont fit you well can you try their stock for fit and feel.. got aluminium block just bolt down and ready to go........

One stock won't make any rifle more accurate than another (assuming it is bedded properly and barrel is free-floated).
What does matter with a stock is ergonomics for the individual shooter. If the shooter is able to get into a repeatable and comfortable position, it will help with consistancy of the platform. I'd recommend a fully adjustable stock (whatever make/model you prefer)that that once setup, you lock it in place and forget about it.

Welcome and cheers.