• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Walls - Anyone have one with feedback?

Redmanss

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Northeast Wyoming
Most all of us have seen them advertized and drooled about having that standby AR and handgun hidden in plain sight, but does anyone actually have them and can give some feedback? I'm particularly looking at the shelf type units. I'm moving into an apartment where I can drill and hang stuff on the walls, but of course can't go cutting between studs. Being able to secure a rifle and handgun(s) inside the apartment where accessible while secured away from my kids' curiosity is my goal, while at the same time not being obvious in what's stashed in case I take a burglary.

Shelves | Product Categories | Tactical Walls

I dont have any feedback on that product but that looks cool as hell.

I would be worried about how it secures to the wall (dry wall anchors or lag bolts???) as all it says is "hardware included". Worst case scenario, if the wrong people find out what it actually is and they manage to get in I'm sure they could just rip that whole shelf off of the wall?

Looks good though!

You could make that yourself for 50-75 bucks......totally not worth it
I hear you there but again, I'm in an apartment and an upscale type one at that. Don't exactly have a wood shop out back.

Weight load is more concerning to me than theft security as far as wall anchoring. If they know what's in there, it's gone no matter how it's anchored anyhow. I'm looking for inconspicuous here, better than a lightweight gun cabinet in the closet or a strong box under the bed.

The valuable stuff is off site in secured storage, this is for HD and convenience in the hacienda while keeping it out of my kids' access. I'm just wondering if the quality is there to justify a fairly steep price of the product.

As per the video I just watched of their shelves....I say buy it n try it. However, you'll be screwed if you can't anchor it into studs or brick n mortar.

That's why I'm hoping to find someone who has one already. I wish they had a shot of the backside of it where it mounts up.

Tag to see if anyone ACTUALLY has experience with these. My wife pointed these out, the prices are reasonable, and they look super functional and decorative. When the wife likes it, you score big time.

When I was remodeling part of the house I built something similar. I don't have experience with this particular brand, but the concept has worked out well for me.

... and even his walls are TACTICAL... ;)

(sorry... couldn't help it...)

Someone above had mentioned this screwing into brick veneer which I would strongly discourage against. You could possibly do it if you purchased the correct fasteners (the fasteners you get are intended for wood I would assume), but it is generally a very poor construction practice to subject fasteners in brick to direct tension for many reasons. These shelves look awesome, but I am a little skeptical based on the price. I would think there would be a huge markup for something like this making me question the quality of the material. On another note, it seems like there are a number of adjustments you could make yourself. If you don't mind how it looks, it would definitely help putting in some architectural wood chocks, that would screw into the stud on the vertical leg and the top of the case in the horizontal leg. You would have to worry about people leaning on it still but it would makes feel much more confident.

I would really like to know how these perform as well. The concept is absolutely awesome!

Jesus man just buy it.....it's 300 bones and your moving into a "high end" apartment.

And to the guy above, what is " brick veneer "....i've been in construction for 14 years, never heard of that. Maybe it pertains to "fake" brick...? Which is not brick n mortar

I have one of their shelves. Looks like a high end mantle hanging on the wall. Has sturdy foam in it that you can cut like the pelican case. It's cool and all, but I originally got it for that "stand by" type scenario. In case of emergency I didn't want to have to run downstairs to my safe. Problem for me is, it doesn't exactly open too quickly. If you're just looking for an out of the way spot to store your AR without anyone knowing then it should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus man just buy it.....it's 300 bones and your moving into a "high end" apartment.

And to the guy above, what is " brick veneer "....i've been in construction for 14 years, never heard of that. Maybe it pertains to "fake" brick...? Which is not brick n mortar
It's the brick face of the wall which is usually hung by structural angles and tied back to the studs intermittently...not something you'd want to attach to because (1) it is not structural (2) there are no reliable fasteners to brick, (there are some great fasteners for 3000+ psi concrete that can be drilled and tapped or even hold-down and adhesive anchors) and (3) it is essentially impossible to meet the edge distance requirements for brick so you would likely crack your façade. In general tapping brick is not something you'd want to do unless it is hanging a flag sign or something

I'm probably going to get one, if for nothing else than the badassery that comes with it, but I believe will serve a nice purpose as well in the HD realm. Thanks DS6 for the first hand info as well. Now I'm hoping they throw the thing on sale or something because I just picked up another GDI mount.

And it will be hung on standard drywall/stud anchoring, but thanks for the tips on that one. Not going to be a mantle piece over a fireplace or anything like that. I'd rather have an open rack on the wall in a minimalist cabin in the woods, but when going into a child custody fight you want to have the right image all around...

I'm probably going to get one, if for nothing else than the badassery that comes with it, but I believe will serve a nice purpose as well in the HD realm. Thanks DS6 for the first hand info as well. Now I'm hoping they throw the thing on sale or something because I just picked up another GDI mount.

And it will be hung on standard drywall/stud anchoring, but thanks for the tips on that one. Not going to be a mantle piece over a fireplace or anything like that. I'd rather have an open rack on the wall in a minimalist cabin in the woods, but when going into a child custody fight you want to have the right image all around...
They offer up a bit of a mil discount, just shoot them a email. I have to agree that you could build one yourself for far less but having bought both product types I can say the shelf in my opinion is better than the wall insert/ mirror combo. The mirror face for me had to be sanded down almost a 1/3 of a inch because the tension on the mirror was causing it to drag across my wall.

Make sure if you do buy the wall insert, plan out where you want it to go ahead of time. Take the time to actually make sure it's suitable no electric, water, gas as well making sure your studs are 16 on center and square. Not that these items would be the fault of Tacticalwalls but it was a pain finding out my clever spot wasn't going to work.

All and all I dropped about 1k for everything, magnets, lights, large shelf and mirror combo.

Another member here and I have designed and are just getting ready to produce these. We're doing a pre-order for all the local guys right now while we get the website up and the shipping box completed. We should be selling in earnest in 30 days at the most. The first production run of 50 is happening as I type this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t3YQ2K2sRnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The magnetic latch is designed to be a latch, not a lock. The intent is to keep it closed from the casual observer. It is intentionally not a lock. We deliberately designed it so you can defeat it with a very hard yank. If something goes bump in the night, I want to be able to get my blaster out even if I can't find the magnet.

We are offering them in 5 different finishes. Three are a wood grained melamine that is very, very cool in person. The colors are shown below. We also offer painted black and a primed version ready for you to paint whatever color you like.

Prices below are tentative and do not include shipping.

Pistol size shelf

Wood Grained Melamine $200
Primed, ready for paint $225
Primed, painted satin black $250

Rifle size shelf

Wood Grained Melamine $225
Primed, ready for paint $250
Primed, painted satin black $275

In the wood grained melamine, you can choose from Summit, Basalt, or Vail. They are shown below from left to right. (Note that none of these are the green shown in the pics. That color is not being offered.)

Under indoor lighting, they look like this.

Rifle Shelves

Wood Grained Rifle Shelf
Outside dimensions are 42.5" Wide X 13.75" Deep X 6 1/2" Tall
Inside dimensions are 38.5" Wide X 11.25" Deep X 3 3/4" Tall

Primed and Painted Rifle Shelf
Outside dimensions are 42" Wide X 13.5" Deep X 6" Tall
Inside dimensions are 38.5" Wide X 11.25"" Deep X 3 3/4"" Tall

Pistol Shelves

Wood Grained Pitsol Shelf
Outside dimensions are 22.5" Wide X 13.75" Deep X 4 1/2" Tall
Inside dimensions are 18.5" Wide X 11.25" Deep X 2" Tall

Primed and Painter Pistol Shelf
Outside dimensions are 22" Wide X 13 1/2" Deep X 4" Tall
Inside dimensions are 18.5" Wide X 11.25" Deep X 2" Tall

Only issue I have is that home decor requires queen bee approval. A wall insert out of sight gets a pass :)

Then just get the primed version and she can finish it in whatever fru fru crap color she wants. My wife refinishes ALOT of furniture...

TimK that's a cool design. As a cabinetmaker many moons ago, I have to ask: How do you keep that thing from sagging? How much weight can it hold? I could see that drawer box failing at the back corner. Is that joint dovetailed, doweled, or something else? Just curious, PM if you don't want to disclose publicly.

TimK that's a cool design. As a cabinetmaker many moons ago, I have to ask: How do you keep that thing from sagging? How much weight can it hold? I could see that drawer box failing at the back corner. Is that joint dovetailed, doweled, or something else? Just curious, PM if you don't want to disclose publicly.

Drawer joints are glued and screwed with confirmat screws. I haven't piled one up with weights till it broke, but they feel extremely sturdy. I'd guess 25# on the small one and 45# on the long one is easy.