• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactics ...for dialing 911.

AnschutzNerd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
World Traveler
tjpil.jpg

Re: Tactics ...for dialing 911.

It would be funnier if it wasn't so tragically true.

I spent 20 years as a cop in a mid size ciety (250-300K), I can't remember how many times I hit the street and was given a list of pending calls, some hours old.

I came up with a standard response:

"If you want a crime investigated, call 911, if you want to prevent a crime, get a revolver".

I retired and live in a rural area now, I figure is the sheriff was setting in his car, ready to roll, best case would be a 20-30 min response. Of course it he's on the other side of the county, all bets are off, even if I told him "I shot the gun in my shed".

The sad part is:

If these events were to actually transpire, the caller would probably be charged with filing a false claim and get a ride in the back seat of the cruiser next to the burgulars.

AnschutzNerd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent 20 years as a cop in a mid size ciety (250-300K), I can't remember how many times I hit the street and was given a list of pending calls, some hours old.

"If you want a crime investigated, call 911, if you want to prevent a crime, get a revolver".

I retired and live in a rural area now, I figure is the sheriff was setting in his car, ready to roll, best case would be a 20-30 min response. Of course it he's on the other side of the county, all bets are off, even if I told him "I shot the gun in my shed".

</div></div>

Quoted for truth. If it is like that in the city, now imagine how it is in the county where an officer is responsible for hundreds of square miles. Kraig's post sums up why many rural people have a totally different attitude towards cops than others, and you see it played out in a lot of threads.

Most rural people look at cops as a threat to freedom (as in they have the power to arrest me) and bank account (because of having to defend yourself in court) rather than as a protector. They know there is no way they will arrive in time to solve your problem, and once they DO arrive are going to start asking questions about what you did. Thats why often the cops won't even get called...a lot of city folk on this site probably have no idea how many times in rural areas a landowner takes a warning shot at someone and no one calls the cops. Happens all the time. They dont want cops involved, because then you get the whole "warning shot" discussion on the other thread. Hell as a kid my own neighbor drew down on me when I was playing a prank on his land...he knew nobody ought to be there (thank god he eventually recognized me) and I learned you don't walk through a farmers property at night without announcing yourself if you wanna keep your life.

Its not that country people don't like cops, is just that they aren't much use to them since they won't be there when needed and almost never recover stolen property for you. Our county police spend all their time both fighting against and at times participating in the marijuana/meth business, or responding to vehicle accidents, with a smattering of domestic violence/family dispute stuff. That leaves very little time for protecting community property, not that they can do that anyway. Not their fault, its just an impossible task, and after the fact they aren't going to spend much time trying to find/recover a few hundred dollars in tools from the barn.

You live out in the county, you are on your own, and should plan accordingly. Some call the cops if they will attempt to use insurance to recover their losses, others don't. I assume the vast majority will call if they actually shoot someone, but honestly you never know...always pays to stay out of other people's business around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent 20 years as a cop in a mid size ciety (250-300K), I can't remember how many times I hit the street and was given a list of pending calls, some hours old.

</div></div>

Quoted for truth. If it is like that in the city, now imagine how it is in the county where an officer is responsible for hundreds of square miles. Kraig's post sums up why many rural people have a totally different attitude towards cops than others, and you see it played out in a lot of threads.

Most rural people look at cops as a threat to freedom (as in they have the power to arrest me) and bank account (because of having to defend yourself in court) rather than as a protector. They know there is no way they will arrive in time to solve your problem, and once they DO arrive are going to start asking questions about what you did. Thats why often the cops won't even get called...a lot of city folk on this site probably have no idea how many times in rural areas a landowner takes a warning shot at someone and no one calls the cops. Happens all the time. They dont want cops involved, because then you get the whole "warning shot" discussion on the other thread. Hell as a kid my own neighbor drew down on me when I was playing a prank on his land...he knew nobody ought to be there (thank god he eventually recognized me) and I learned you don't walk through a farmers property at night without announcing yourself if you wanna keep your life.

Its not that country people don't like cops, is just that they aren't much use to them since they won't be there when needed and almost never recover stolen property for you. Our county police spend all their time both fighting against and at times participating in the marijuana/meth business, or responding to vehicle accidents, with a smattering of domestic violence/family dispute stuff. That leaves very little time for protecting community property, not that they can do that anyway. Not their fault, its just an impossible task, and after the fact they aren't going to spend much time trying to find/recover a few hundred dollars in tools from the barn.

You live out in the county, you are on your own, and should plan accordingly. Some call the cops if they will attempt to use insurance to recover their losses, others don't. I assume the vast majority will call if they actually shoot someone, but honestly you never know...always pays to stay out of other people's business around here.
</div></div>

Interesting post and something to think about from here on out. Being a cop in a rather large, urban environment I can honestly say, I've never thought about it from this perspective.

good way to put it... that's exactly how I feel... I just nver thought it out as much as you (even being in LE for years)... it's really not that I don't like LE, I just have very little use for them.

I live at the end of a dead end, with a security gate, and a good watch dog. I would like to think that if anyone broke in with me here, I would just shoot him, crank up the loader and put the body in a hole.
Then call the sherriff to report an abandoned car blocking my drive....