• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Take a friend shooting and share your toys

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
I took a friend to the range a few hours before our weekly BR fun shoot to help him zero the scope on his new/used Savage MkII tacticool rifle. The scope was running out of up adjustment so I had him remove it so we could shim the rings and lo and behold it had three shims under the front rings. We pulled them out and it zeroed in a few shots. But he noticed that the bbl was very dirty. He had not cleaned it after the purchase, lol. I had forgotten my cleaning kit as well. He proceeded to attempt to shoot at 50y and it was struggling to shot 1" groups. I have a MkII and they are not that bad. He was getting frustrated so I offered to let him shoot one of my Winchester 52B rifles which has an Unertl 20x vintage scope on it. I call her the ugly girl cause you can feed her anything and will still get lucky, lol. She is a proven match winner and often shoots perfect scores and is not ammo sensitive.

We began shooting the match practice tgt for fun and after three shots he says, "How much do you want for this rifle?". He had shot three clean 10x's all into one hole. I told him to forget mine and go find his own. He only had CCI std ammo so before the match I gave him some Eley Black to try and another shooter gave him a box of Eley 10x. He went on to shoot a 2450 on the ARA factory tgt. At our fun night once each month you can shoot any tgt you want. The Winchester is not legal for sanctioned ARA factory matches but it proved why with such a fine performance on a windy day. He shot the ARA unlimited card for the 2nd match and scored about 1650 which is so so but that is a very tough target and it was windy. He was raving about how accurate the rifle was. I told him to imagine how good he would shoot with a rig that was adjusted to his eyes and not mine. My point is that in one outing he went from a shooter who thought he was not that good of a marksman to near perfect just by getting his hands on a good rifle and some good ammo. He will not stop until he finds a 52 of his own. His enthusiasm went thru the roof. And he will clean his rifle before the next outing.

Great job! We could increase the number of shooters in the country if we'd all do something like this for someone we like, but who is borderline when it comes to shooting regularly. Only downside (right now) is the 'ammo shortage monster' has raised its ugly head again...

I took a friend to the range a few hours before our weekly BR fun shoot to help him zero the scope on his new/used Savage MkII tacticool rifle. The scope was running out of up adjustment so I had him remove it so we could shim the rings and lo and behold it had three shims under the front rings. We pulled them out and it zeroed in a few shots. But he noticed that the bbl was very dirty. He had not cleaned it after the purchase, lol. I had forgotten my cleaning kit as well. He proceeded to attempt to shoot at 50y and it was struggling to shot 1" groups. I have a MkII and they are not that bad. He was getting frustrated so I offered to let him shoot one of my Winchester 52B rifles which has an Unertl 20x vintage scope on it. I call her the ugly girl cause you can feed her anything and will still get lucky, lol. She is a proven match winner and often shoots perfect scores and is not ammo sensitive.

We began shooting the match practice tgt for fun and after three shots he says, "How much do you want for this rifle?". He had shot three clean 10x's all into one hole. I told him to forget mine and go find his own. He only had CCI std ammo so before the match I gave him some Eley Black to try and another shooter gave him a box of Eley 10x. He went on to shoot a 2450 on the ARA factory tgt. At our fun night once each month you can shoot any tgt you want. The Winchester is not legal for sanctioned ARA factory matches but it proved why with such a fine performance on a windy day. He shot the ARA unlimited card for the 2nd match and scored about 1650 which is so so but that is a very tough target and it was windy. He was raving about how accurate the rifle was. I told him to imagine how good he would shoot with a rig that was adjusted to his eyes and not mine. My point is that in one outing he went from a shooter who thought he was not that good of a marksman to near perfect just by getting his hands on a good rifle and some good ammo. He will not stop until he finds a 52 of his own. His enthusiasm went thru the roof. And he will clean his rifle before the next outing.
Yeah agree, I often take friends or family to the range and all enjoy. But it usually takes more guidance and leaves less time shooting. But then again every range visit I anyways talk maybe half an hour if there is someone experienced.

I have gotten one friend to upgrade his scope to Midas TAC and is still thrilled about it. Another bought T1X that shoots way too good and a new guy that is about to buy his first rimfire / firearm

A good friend of mine who had never been into shooting before inherited some guns from his grandpa when he passed away. He called me wanting to get some prices so he could sell them, but before he did I convinced him to shoot some of them that I already had ammo for. He got absolutely hooked. Since we were going out anyway, and I had just got my T1x back together after the barrel swap I took it and let him ring some steel at 300 yards and give a few barricades a shot.
Ultimately he did end up selling some of the stuff that he did not have an interest in, but reinvested that all of that money into ammo, a T1x, and an optic. Now he constantly hounds me to go out to the range with him. Honestly, I couldnt be happier to get someone into the sport.

Great post Irish!

I have 2 friends that had similar experiences. Though in different times frames, the first friend got the opportunity to buy a Anschutz MPR, he struggled greatly to part with the money, then at last he caved in. He still tells me its the best purchase he's made since he shoots rimfire more than anything else.

The other friend held out longer. Up came a deal on a early Anschutz 54 that was supposedly new. I kept the pressure on him to buy it, he caved too. Same thing, he loves that rifle dearly!

I have more work to do on other friends that have dismal rifles, lol.

Reactions: Asared
I took a friend shooting at the range a couple of months back. Taking up shooting doesn't suit them at them moment but I'd love to see her return to it in the future. She'd never even held a gun before but really wanted to try it out and loved it. Started off with some clay pigeon shooting, then the pistol range. After that she used my rifle on the rifle range. Began off the bench to get used to the gun. Then set up prone off the bipod. She was shooting well so for the last shots of the day I put up a competition card, 5 shots at each bull from 50 metres. A really talented and experienced member at the club always maintains that ladies make great students as often times they listen more than the men and tend to have less preconceptions. Anyway I was very impressed for a total and absolute beginner. 10 ring = 10.4mm (0.41"). 9 ring = 26.4mm (1.04") for reference.

IMG_20201011_144507.jpg

IMG_20201011_162425.jpg

IMG_20201011_162429.jpg

IMG_20201011_162437.jpg

Imagine inviting groups of liberal college students to the range. My kids (who went to college close by) would ask me to teach some of their friends about gun safety and shooting.

So we would meet at the range, have a short safety lesson, then off to the line. Now realize many of these kids are from Jersey or the Northeast. So many have never fired even a BB gun.

For more than 9 years, I bet we had 60 kids at the range. We had a few that just didn't want to be involved but most loved the sport. So much that through the years, we had a couple join the rifle club.

I had a good time and my kids looked up to me and actually thanked me. The kids continued to shoot, some going to an indoor range on their own. It was fun.

One of my favorite things to do is introduce people who have misconceptions about what it's like to shoot and handle firearms to the shooting world. It can be a little frustrating with some of them who have learned all they know for the television or their games but in the end teaching them that firearms are completely safe when handled properly and getting them comfortable with shooting and plinking only adds another pro 2A person. We've brought several people out to shoot with us that wouldn't allow firearms in their home prior to coming out and getting comfortable with how they function but now own a number of their own and are teaching their friends and family about responsible gun ownership.