• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Take delivery of FN SPR...or send to GAP?

BaileyMoto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
Basra, Iraq.
www.mk12.net
I just purchased my first dedicated long range bolt rifle (have a couple semi autos and for this purpose) and now I am trying to decide if I should take delivery of the FN SPR (A4 stock and 24" barrel in .308) in standard form...or have the dealer send it to GAP to have it re-barreled with the following:

20" threaded Bartlein Barrel in .308
Chamber and crown barrel, True bolt, lug and blueprint action
Cerakote finish on barrel, action, bottom metal and scope base

I know the FN SPR's are relatively impressive out of the box, but what would YOU do? I'm really on the fence on this...

Re: Take delivery of FN SPR...or send to GAP?

seem like paying for two rifles right off the bat. why not just have one built on their action

other wise i'd wait to you shoot out the original barrel.

SHoot it first. You might be surprised how well the FN performs out of the gate

Unless you just want to tinker, have money to burn or are set on a 20" barrel, I think you will find the FN shoots really well.

And... Unless GAP has Bartleins in stock you will be waiting awhile. I ordered one in January and it shipped Monday.

I think you could get it cut to 20" threaded and re downed for around 125. Shoot that bitch see if you like it. Also the triggers are real easy to work over yourself. I'm fairly sure you'll be happy with what you have comming. The FN s that I own are shooters right out of the box.

Either buy a fn and shoot it or get gap to build you a new rifle from scratch

Take delivery and shoot it. Then send it to GAP for an overhaul.

Thanks for the advice. That's more or less the direction I was leaning.

I did get a decent deal on the FN..with the GAP overhaul listed above, I'd be looking at about $2500 total into the rifle. The FN comes with the McM A4 stock and DBM for under $1500..so really a decent price, imo.

Perhaps I will visit this at a later date.

thanks

Yep, shoot it. Mine posted .435" groups with Federal GMM 168's from the factory. It now resides in a McRee Chassis,......sold the McMillan with the CDI bottom metal to another Hide member.
Steve

I would send it to Gap and have it bedded and trigger job done then shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you buy something you dont even want. </div></div>

Deduction...you fail at it.

For comparison, the FN SPR with the GAP upgrades listed above would equate to roughly $2300-$2400 total investment into this rifle.

A GAP "Base Custom Rifle" rifle built on an McM A4 with a 20" Bartlein and pillar bedding would start around $3300

Shoot that bitch. We had about 25 FNs donated to the ASC match last year and I don't think any shot over 1/2 inch. When the
barrel is toast, send it in and have it worked over.

I've decided to shoot the SPR that way it is. On that note..one of the reasons I was considering sending it off to GAP right off the bat, is that they would probably have it done before I return from overseas. It'd be nice to return to a GAP built rifle and forgo the wait if I then decide to send it off to be reworked.
smile.gif

Keep it. Shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more. In my opinion, you should've just ordered a custom rifle since the beginning. Considering how great they shoot out of the box,you are burning your money by sending it to GAP. It just doesn't make sense to do what you want to do. Now, if you put 8,000 rounds through it and accuracy fades, then by all means have it rebarreled to your liking.