• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taken Hostage!!!!

ogonzalez13

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Laredo, Texas
As I write this, I know of a Hide Member that has been taken HOSTAGE!!!!! Wait, before you go and call the authorities, he has been taken hostage before and has always come out of it ok. Come to think of it, I have been in the very same situation myself, several times in fact. I am certain that most of you gun nuts have also been held hostage a time or two.

The problem with this type of hostage situation is that it can be a real burden on both your personal and professional life. You miss days from work, you tell your wife to go to hell, you break promises to your kids and swear to them that you will take them to this place or that place next time, but not today!! For the LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, when will it stop.

When your new bolt gun is finally ready, the one you have been waiting impatiently for months or even years, Is finally set to be delivered. Your blade boils as you know that it is on one of those damn UPS, FED EX, or USPS trucks, and all you can do is curse the computer as the updated tracking page cant load fast enough as you hit the refresh button in shear panic!!! Then Finally, as your about to give up all hope, the door bell rings. At LAST, your baby is home and the Hostage situation is over. The tears flow down your face, you are overcome with joy as you cut the packing tape with the kitchen knife that you spent all day carefully selecting for what might very be it whole reason for being. As you finally get through all that damn packing tape that your custom rifle builder used, clearly a cruel joke, a calm comes over you. A smile is finally put on your face as you gaze upon perfection. You take it into your hands and weep like a sissy baby, you caress it, work the bolt in and out, dry fire it, check the spacing of the barrel between the stock barrel channel. Its perfect!!! It was all worth telling your boss that your grandmother had passed for the fifth time this year.

You hiders are a bunch of sick puppies!!! You need to get a life!!

I would love to hear your stories of when you have been taken hostage.

This is exactly what happens every time ANYTHING firearm related is ordered. This should be a Sticky for all new members so they know what they are getting in to. Maybe even put this in the "Terms of Agreement" section for the new guys!

Last edited:
Yes, I waited all day for my AO .260 to arrive today. It killed me to see my boys' faces. It was their day off from school, and they asked me around seven in the morning if we could go to the movies, eat out and bike around the park, and all I could tell them was that as soon as the UPS guy gets here we can go anywhere they'd want to. Almost thirteen hours later I find myself bathing them to put them to bed. I feel crappy. Sort of. :D

They know I'll make it up to them. :)

I have been known to drive around looking for the UPS driver. I know his route pretty good, where he stops first, and where he stops for lunch quite often. First time I approached slowly and cautiously but he knows me now.

Imagine this. You sell tons of stuff to buy your first "tactical" scope (NF) and then when you get it, you (I) mess it up by unscrewing the screw in the magnification ring (I know I know...). Then NF tells you "No problem, send it in and we will get it right back to you." So hunting season starts and your without a scope. A week goes by and NF sends it (UPS) back to you. It comes all the way across the country to the UPS hub that is 30 minutes from your house. Then for whatever reason, UPS sends it on a joy ride/tour (Plane, Train, and Truck) across the country to at least a dozen different states. UPS tells you they will try to intercept it and send it to you every 1-2 days but it continues its scenic tour for a full two weeks. I called UPS and NF almost daily and honestly NF couldn't really do anything about it. I was FURIOUS!!!!!!

Ok, so why did I unscrew the screw in the magnification ring? My scope had the NPR2 reticle and it was so fine that I thought surely there was a way to adjust the reticle other than the paralax knob. So I started messing with everything...don't do that. That screw should NEVER be messed with. After a few turns it popped out and would not go back in. With it out, you can turn the magnification ring over and over and over... I hated the reticle as it was always too fine/thin for me. Even in broad daylight I would have to look away and then get back into the scope or the reticle would get "washed out" or disappear.

When my first custom rifle came it, I was living in government housing aka barrack and they could not deliver on base. So i sat at my best friends house literally all day for 2 days. Luckily I knew a doc that would give me SIQ's if such a situation arrived. My rifle arrived on a Thursday, needless to say I was SIQ for 4 days total. It was better than Christmas to see what all that hard earned money had turned into.

I am positive that when I start the next build there are a few things I will do differently but this is not one of them. I may be 'sick' for a week next time just to go shooting everyday.

I don't know if I'm nutty enough, last week I bought a new 1911 on my lunch break and didn't skip out of work that afternoon. I did bug out about an hour early but now that you all are talking about this I'm not sure if I'm normal or maybe just not strange enough?

I have way too many guns to be taken hostage anymore, I buy then forget about it till it shows up, life is a lot better that way and it works for me

I once left for a 3 hour drive back to the FFL during the Christmas Holidays to pick up a
GAP Crusader 6.5 Creedmor only to pick it up and drive right back. (Relatives house). Worst part is I lied to EVERYONE and told them I needed some time to myself and was going to a movie. IN MY INLAWS CAR. Talk about some sick shit.... I'd go out every once in a while and pet it... Snuck it in our car, none the wiser

Yes, all of us avid shooters have to lead double lives, but certainly better than trying to hide a mistress and probably a lot cheaper! Our friends and family do not understand the passion we have for this sport and the pure excitement of receiving a long awaited new rifle or scope. I feel like a kid at Christmas, but my wife does put her foot down and will not let me sleep with my new acquisitions. I generally need to retreat to my office or garage to fully enjoy my new items (detailed inspection and owner's manuel review, usually done online prior to even receiving the product). Cleaning and dry firing new weapons, scope mounting, leveling and laser boring sighting at 25 yards in the backyard before heading the the range for that first shot excitement and, hopefully, pleasure rather than pain and disappointment. Luckily, I have not yet been let down! Well worth all my covert activities. Seems to just make my aging life complete.

These stories are great as I can relate to most of them... I suppose we could bring up Class III/NFA items as well:mad:

These stories are great as I can relate to most of them... I suppose we could bring up Class III/NFA items as well:mad:

I say all shooting sports related shenanigans is fair game.

Let's not forget about all the secret bank accounts we have or money caches.

Sick bastards I tell you, just sick!!

Ha!!

At age 9 I slept with my first .22 for a few days before my mother interceded. I was not ever allowed a BB gun
and went thru so many conversations and frustrations for what seemed a lifetime at that age. Grandfather finally
interceded and Dad traded some U-control model airplanes for that cherished Mossberg.

I have way too many guns to be taken hostage anymore, I buy then forget about it till it shows up, life is a lot better that way and it works for me

Top Gun - You've lost that loving feeling - YouTube

I feel bad for you, I have way to much stuff and more guns than 95% of the people on here. I get all excited everytime I get something related to shooting (doesn't have to be a gun). Maybe I am immature, I don't care it is what I work hard for.

I'm in the bath the other night bathing my 8 month pregnant wife and we are discussing our day. We start talking about what we need to do this week and what things need to be taken care of. We discuss a little bit about the weather and what we are gonna do on our days off.

I start day dreaming about my Short Action Customs build that should be finishing up this week. It's a 6.5 Creed Alpha 11 Deviant thats been melonited and bedded in a Manners folder :) While day dreaming my wife is talking about being pregnant and how she can't wait for our FIRST born son and how she wants to do this and that to the babies room. I'm still daydreaming and not really paying her much attention and look up and say......I can't wait for my new rifle to get here....she was less then supportive.

Hi, my name is Taylor and I'm a rifleholic.

I imagine I'll be labeled as gay or something, but I had a new Les Baer, and a new Ed Brown, with my initials engraved in it for gods sake, sit in the safe for a year and a half before I shot them. I think the wait time soured my appetite for the things. I recently had a full house build C. Dixon gun sit for 2 months before I got around to shooting it, and actually dismantled the thing after five hundred rounds, letting the barrel go, and giving away the McMillan stock also. It wasn't for accuracy reasons either, before anyone asks.
Shit, I've had so many new guns in my 55 years, it's harder to get fired up about any of them anymore! But once they're up and running, barrels don't seem too last long.

Last edited:
I once left for a 3 hour drive back to the FFL during the Christmas Holidays to pick up a
GAP Crusader 6.5 Creedmor only to pick it up and drive right back. (Relatives house). Worst part is I lied to EVERYONE and told them I needed some time to myself and was going to a movie. IN MY INLAWS CAR. Talk about some sick shit.... I'd go out every once in a while and pet it... Snuck it in our car, none the wiser

Well played, Sir

Well, I'm newly addicted and am waiting...today...for my new (to me) .260 Stiller Tac30 A/W in Manners T4A w/chassis to arrive at the FFL. Bad part is that we are in the midst of an outside audit at work and the earliest I'll get to the FFL will be Thursday. And yes, I'm losing sleep...is that wrong?

It's my first precision bolt, and as a virgin I'm a little bit nervous. What if I'm not good enough? Will it hurt if I mount it wrong? If my wife finds out, how much will it hurt? So many questions...

My last project took 18+ months. The last seven months of that was spent waiting for the stock from McMillan. They quoted me five. It took seven. So, I spent two months checking my bank account every ten minutes and pacing back and forth in between.

Rat's, I was doing OK and feeling pretty good except the shipping notifications started coming in.

Gun going out today
Ammo shipped today or yesterday
Scope and accessories shipped yesterday

I'll probably get it all by Monday. Considering taking Thurs PM and Friday off just to answer the door when they show up.

Hostage? I guess.

Like the rest of you sick wierdos, I have done many of these things. Brought my very first custom home on my wife's birthday (coincidence) she wasn't pleased there. Snuck out of a friend's wedding to pick up a barrel. Watching through the window all afternoon waiting for UPS, FedEx, USPS. It's a sickness only understood by fellow carrier's.

I chased down a UPS driver and thought I was going to have to run him off the road to get one of my rifles. His word were DUDE your nuts. I said no I want my shit so give it to me! Wife said I'm a crazy jackass. I said yep.

I took my wife to the gunshop to pick up my Gap rifle on our wedding anniversary.

IMO, we are the normal ones, it's the rest of the world that's messed up (it ain't denial, it's just a fact).

I have read these books before... I do have to say that after doing this for way too many years (and I am only 35, got hooked early on ;) ) that gets easier to deal with. After many many sleepless nights over many many firearms trades and purchases you some how learn to calm down some. But you see that is when it gets dangerous because then it really becomes fun, and even more addictive...

I once drove 5 hours to my gunsmith while on the clock only to drive "around" his shop for another 4 while he finished my rifle up. Then another 5 hours home....

I was not going to be denied. I probably would have stayed at a motel in his town if he hadn't finished that day. My wife just shook her head when I walked in the door.

Sometimes in those rarest of moments, when my wife is really excited about something, I will blurt out as if I have turrets "i am buying a new gun".

She will again, shake her head and say "It is really all about you asshole". She still doesn't understand me after all these years....

Last edited:
You know I think all our trials would have been boring, if we were married to an understanding gun loving wife! Part of that great suspense would be missing from our lives. Just think the we're the lucky ones. The harder the challenge the sweeter the prise.
And yes, who's to say we're not the normal ​ones and the gun bashes are screwed up!

My wife is gun loving, she just don't understand all my trades or selling something for something better. But she
Lets me get away with spending money. I don't wanna sound like a sap but she loves me so much I think she can't say no sometimes. Lucky me.

Last edited:
hell, I dont know where to begin, I have ordered guns while deployed, and picked them up before seeing family. I have created a new math system to justify/ balance out the money spent versus what was traded and or sold. It is referred to in my house as Matt's Math and it never adds up. Vacation talk comes up, and I openly disclose that I would rather buy a new - insert whatever style here- than go here or there.. Been married almost 11 yrs and have taken one vacation( according to wife) as visits to family dont count.
I have my FFL dealer on speed dial, cell number, etc and He always answers when I call with.. Hello Matthew, when and what is coming,,, while encouraging me to just get my own FFL..
I can list the nearby( 3 hrs) shops of worthwhile interest of all locations I have been( family / work related) but have a hard time remembering if my anniversary is the 21 st or22nd..
A new gun is like christmas or cake for the fat kid any time of the year.
I have been told that " I am glad you are into firearms as a hobby.. as if it was like this with women you would have 200 kids" Not a gay comment here.. happily married and fulfill that role ..
I have been told that " you dont smile at me like that ... shortly after a new purchase... To which I have yet to find the answer...
My son gets excited almost as much as me when a new firearm comes home,,, He is now 5 and I have him claiming any green firearm in the house as his green maggie( his word to describe since probably 2 as he would read the shooting times Magazines and determined that the rifles and handguns were maggies as they were what the magazines at the house were about) Would like to add that at 3 He has more common sense/ respect and safety instilled in him around firearms than most adults.

It is expected that on any new destination the phone book will be searched for gunsmiths, firearms, sporting goods dealers, pawn shops etc for a possible deal that is too good to pass up. Just an FYI you cannot purchase items when on a carnival cruise and actually expect to get them home without alarge purchase at the gift shop for the wife
I have left from thanksgiving dinner( a day early ) to go and pick up a rifle .. not a big deal until the wife found out it was a 6 hr drive each way ...

me and my girlfriend went to my dads, while me and dad walked down to the range his girlfriend asked mine if she liked guns. her response was well i dont know. my dads girlfriend then told her " well you're getting into the wrong family" hahaha true story

My Smith was nice enough to get mine done in four days... But luckily I only live four miles from my smith.. :) but when I build my 7X300 Win it will be a different story..

Thank goodness I am not alone either!

I got a 300 ultra mag 2 years ago and it came in before my razor hd did. I live out in west texas and there is nothing around where I shoot. I couldn't stand it, I didn't have an extra scope to mount on it and really didn't want to take one off any of my other rifles, so I went and shoot it without anything but the barrel to aim with. What an idiot I am.

I can't stand it when I order anything. I bought a new primer hole uniformer the other day and had to chase down the ups truck to get it like 30 mins before he got to my work, 25 dollar tool and I can't stand to wait an extra 30 mins.

I hate when you get something new and can't use it for a week or two like a new scope or something. I'll read the box, every manual included, look and play with the scope for hours at a time. Then dry fire my rifle a couple thousand times inside my house where I can't even see anything thru the scope. I can't believe I haven't broken one screwing with it so much.

I set at my front door, which has a glass storm door on the outside and dry fire my rifle at objects down the street . The neighbors are probably gonna call the cops on me one day if they see me. Luckily it's a very small town so I'd probably be ok.

Luckily my wife also loves me and puts up with this behavior and she also shoots some which helps.

Hahaha, this just happened to me, except Fedex ground tracking is useless. Now that I've completed load development, I'm resolved to shooting a boring .2" bughole until the end of time (at least until the end of the barrel). Between shooting into that 1 target forever, I can finally get back to my life...until Hammer (that's her name, she's a flaming dike) get's a new scope, at which point the hostage situation will continue...

When I bought my Surgeon, I had it shipped to the local pawn shop FFL. After the few days it took to ship, it finally arrived and I did everything I could to get off work early to finally go pick it up. I had ammo and glass just waiting to be mounted on the new stick so I could go to the range and take her for a test drive. I managed to get off at 4pm so I raced across town to pick up the new rifle. I walked into the shop, told the nice lady who I was and why I was there just to have her tell me the guy that does the transfers was out for the day and wouldnt be back till the next day. All I could do was open the box and drool at the sight of the rifle (as did the couple other guys in the shop) but go home empty handed. I think that was the longest 16 hours of my life, and yes I was there at 8am when they unlocked the doors.

You guys are sick! Whatever you have is contagious, though, and apparently can be spread over the InterWeb, cause I got a bad case of it myself.
I placate myself a lot by playing with my Barbie Dolls, a half dozen ARs that I move optics around on all the time, then laser bore sight them in on a target that resides full time on a nick nack shelf in the living room. My wife just ignores the target now.
I've been known to sit at the kitchen island with a bipod mounted rifle taking imaginary shots at leaves and such, always with the excuse to my wife "I'm testing something out".
I usually manage to keep the "bang" noises in my head, too, but occasionally one slips out, and she gives me a look of pity. She just doesn't get it.

I know you guys get it.

Joe

Got my first long range rifle and then all I could do is cycle it over and over, then basically tearing my eyes out waiting for it to get rebarreled even though it was a lot shorter than you guys are use to (1week) and then when I got home the fun began I started to get it in the stock, mount the scope clean it, cycle the bolt a couple hundred more times. Then when I don't shoot for a while I tend to have rifle ocd. I'll clean my rifles action, barrel, bolt, inside the bolt, shroud, cocking piece, and even make sure theres no burs. Yup I get bored. I even polish the cocking pieces (where they slide on, the surface they slide and up on) to make the lift cleaner on my stock guns. I find ways to take them apart faster. I even think about building rifles I don't need. I just whenever I can just go to the gunshop and drool over the rifles I can't afford by holding them and acting like I'll buy it :(. Some people don't understand but its ok, its a healthy hobby and a awesome one too. too bad some people don't seem to like it as much as we do.

Hello my name is LRN I'm a rifleholic.

This is the god's honest truth! I did the same thing, I had vacation scheduled for a year and Marc Soulie called me saying that the rifle was done and shipped. I think I checked Fedex's tracking website every hour on the hour for a week. Well as the days dwindled down to when it was time to leave for Ohio Fedex decided it wouldn't deliver until Monday which in it's self is no big deal other than the fact we were scheduled to go to Ohio from South Carolina on Sunday. Literally the rifle sat 15 minutes from my house for the entire weekend. On Saturday night I told my wife and kids I wasn't leaving the Charleston area until I had that rifle in the truck. We sat and waited until 6 pm to get the rifle before we stepped off on our 10 hour drive to Ohio. Needless to say the trip was miserable getting in at 4 am and my wife looking at me telling me that I wasn't right in the head and that if I cracked my head open little rifles would pop out. I am sure when the next rifle gets built it will be the same thing all over again though, I can honestly say I don't know if I was more excited to get laid for the first time or waiting on that rifle!

As I sit here right now, I can hardly wait to leave work an hour early to go pick my first precision bolt up from the FFL. I came in an extra hour early to try and make sure I can get free for this.