• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Taking apart a harris bi-pod

Raven 6

Minuteman
Oct 29, 2006
Blue Ridge
Have any of you been crazy enough to take one apart? If so got any pointers? I'd like to Cera-Kote to match rifle.

Re: Taking apart a harris bi-pod

Yep, is it a swivel? (mine was a swivel)

I just unscrewed the bolt that keeps swivel tension (if using a podloc.) and when that's loose, on the other side opposite the bolt there is a pin inserted crossing thru the axle or peice that allows swiveling. Pull that put and your good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you been crazy enough to take one apart? If so got any pointers? I'd like to Cera-Kote to match rifle. </div></div>

yeah, I tore one apart just to do it once when i was bored. I used dental floss to pull the spring back through the leg.

I've taken apart two to Cerakote now. The ones with the notched legs are much easier to get back together.

My advice? - take good notes when taking it apart... I didn't coat some of the parts, like the upper half of the swivel that has the springs riveted on and the leather pads glued on. I also didn't coat the inner parts of the legs.

P1160015.JPG

This one was actually one of the cheapo copies. It was a pain getting the retracting springs pinned back in the legs but it was possible.

P1150298.JPG

Thanks everyone, looks like I have a weekend project.

The hardest part is getting the rubber feet off. They have roll pins that are put in by the Hulk. Once you have them out, you can use a small rat tail file to open it up a little so the pin goes back in easier. For the springs, I use a small curved hook (getting them off is the easy part). The dental floss is a good idea though. If you really want to take it all the way apart, shoot me an email and I can walk you through it

A paper clip that you put a hook on one of the ends works great for those springs.

I have one that is apart right now and has been that way for a couple of months. It was interesting getting it apart. Can't wait to try to put it together after that amount of time. Just can't remember things like I use to.