• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking the Creedmor for a 1300 yrd test drive

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
Got a Gap Crusader with a 27" bartlein #7 8.5 twist with a NF NXS 5.5x22x56 mildot. I have come up with an awsome load with the 140 berger vld. 42.4 h4350, 2.140 to ogive, fgm210m, at 2755. using the g7 it will put me out to 1385 yards given atmospheric conditions. The longest I have shot it was at 520 yards and 3 shots hit 3/4" apart. I was shocked in a good way...
As a birthday present my buddy is setting up my ar 500 plates at 1000, 1150, 1300 yards. Will be interested to see if the data I've come up with holds true. If I can hit a 2x2' plate at 1300 I'll be a very happy guy indeed.
Also gonna try the 178 bthp hornady out of same rifle platform just a .308 with a 23". They are singing at 2770 with 47.9 power pro 2000 mr. JUST EXCITED..............WE SHALL SEE

Re: Taking the Creedmor for a 1300 yrd test drive

As long as your bullets are above the speed of sound you should be fine.

I've shot my 6x47 Lapua out to 1200 yards. I'm running 115gr. Berger Vld's at 3030fps. and my rounds where still coming in above the speed of sound. According to ballistic calcs and actual range performance the gun was right on the money. I cannot remember exactly with out looking at my data book but I had right around 35moa up from a 100 yard zero.

According to the data the round should still be just barely above the speed of sound at 1400yds.

Looking at your velocity numbers you listed for your 140Vld's you should be able to be above the speed of sound at that distance as well. Again temperature, humidity, air density, elevation above sea level etc... are going to play a part.

Let us know how it works for you.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

interested in your results. I am in the middle of a caliber decision in the 6/6.5 categories. I was leaning on .260 but an opportunity may have come up with a 6.5CM.

I'm sure it'll work out. The CM seems to be quite the laser.

I've been wondering how a 260 AI would go like?

My 6.5 had little trouble hitting plates at 1200-1400 last year when I had it out. The 140 Amax isn't packing much, but it's enough to hit steel and just barely hear the ding back.

The caliber will make it, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Happy Birthday.

Appreciate it fellows. Will post results next week.

I shoot in the mountains in tricky winds over a valley with little visual cues. I really struggle beyond 1100 yards in this setting with my 260. Usually when I struggle, so does my buddy with his 168gr VLDs out of his 7mm RM. When I go home to OK it is mucho easier. Your luck will probably depend on the conditions, the terrain features, and your ability to read the wind.

Good luck,
TKAB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToKeepAndBear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot in the mountains in tricky winds over a valley with little visual cues. I really struggle beyond 1100 yards in this setting with my 260. Usually when I struggle, so does my buddy with his 168gr VLDs out of his 7mm RM. When I go home to OK it is mucho easier. Your luck will probably depend on the conditions, the terrain features, and your ability to read the wind.

Good luck,
TKAB</div></div>

Appreciate it. Conditions are going to fairly calm. Clear with 5 to 6 mph winds. I also bumped it up a little and are pushing them 2800 with even better accuracy. I shot 7 shots through my chrony at 10' at a target at 120 yards. I promise on my good name those 7 shots measured .207" center to center. Don't believe me.... Ask Milo-2. 1k should be fairly easy. Transonic stage is when it'll get tricky. 1150 will be difficult 1300 will be very difficult

Hell, if it gets too windy I'll just pull out the .300 win mag and push the 230 bergers. Got em rolling 2900 fps out of a 30" broughton 5c

1,300 yards for the 6.5 Creedmoor is cake! With enough time on the trigger you'll be ringing steel at 1 mile!

I am glad to read these reports on the 6.5 creedmoor. I want to shoot mine out to 1000 one day. I'm at 600 with great results but my goal is 1000 and beyond.

Thank you Kevin

I've noticed you mentioned you have your 140gr rounds measured at 2.140" at the ogive? are you sure that is correct on a 140 grain? that bullet is seated compressed for a heavier 140gr. The 120gr is closer to your measurement. Please verify your COAL to be at 2.820" and measure your ogive to base of the case length just to be safe. Please let us know any updates, thanks...

I have taken my 6.5 creedmoor out to a mile... it takes 38mills.. it does ok.. at 1500 it does awesome.. so strech it out lol...

P.s.mike vegas can confirm my hits with my 6.5 creed..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocky Mountain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been wondering how a 260 AI would go like? </div></div>

140 berger at around 2920 from a 260 AI will go sub-sonic at about 1650 yards with at 750 of altitude. I haven't tried this distance yet but 1150 yards with around 3500 feet of altitude was super fun. With a long barrel and throat, the AI can definitely get some great velocities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've noticed you mentioned you have your 140gr rounds measured at 2.140" at the ogive? are you sure that is correct on a 140 grain? that bullet is seated compressed for a heavier 140gr. The 120gr is closer to your measurement. Please verify your COAL to be at 2.820" and measure your ogive to base of the case length just to be safe. Please let us know any updates, thanks...</div></div>

I'm sorry fellows. Didn't get to shoot that far. Turns out my buddy was full of shit. 526 yards...... I told him thank you for the b day present and went home and got drunk. But I do have some reports... I shot in a 600 yard fpr match yesterday with this load and had a really good go..... 582 with 29 x's. conditions sucked. Came in 3rd but was happy. 2885 fps confirmed at the match. And to answer your ? Yes, it is 2.140 to the ogive. Some are 2.797" some are 2.805". Figured who gives a damn if they shoot. No op at all. In fact I checked head space this morning and the case only grew 1.5/1000" to 2/1000" from head to datum. Chamber must be really tight. I think I'm gonna say the hell with f/tr and just shoot f open. It's cheaper and I feel much more confident behind the creedmor

Oh yeah. I also gained a shit load of speed after the first 200 rounds then lost about 20 fps. I calibrated my ballistic programs and 2885 confirmed my 600 yard dope. Don't know what happened but that sucker is hauling ass