• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Taking you suppressor to an out of state match

glockdan78

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Austin TX
I'm sure this has been answered, but I'm seem to remember reading something about having to notify the ATF if you take your suppressor across state lines? I was wanting to take mine from Texas to a match in Florida. Driving.

As long as it's legal to have suppressors in that state you are fine.

SBRs, SBSs you need to inform the ATF and get permission.

Suppressors are legal in Florida, considering driving does it new to be legal in all the states along the way also or would it be considered transit and ok. On a side note could you please on me about where and what kind of matches are in Florida thank you and sorry about jumping in ok your post

Suppressors are legal in Florida, considering driving does it new to be legal in all the states along the way also or would it be considered transit and ok. On a side note could you please on me about where and what kind of matches are in Florida thank you and sorry about jumping in ok your post

Lit...proper punctuation is the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jackoff a horse. Holy balls dude....

Lit...proper punctuation is the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jackoff a horse. Holy balls dude....

One of the best posts I've seen in a while. Thanks for that.

Taking you suppressor to an out of state match

Consider placing a comma after the first horse. That would be proper punctuation.

But the difference between the proper noun 'Jack' and the verb 'to jack-off' is not punctuation, but semantics.

Last edited:
Consider placing a comma after the first horse. That would be proper punctuation.

But the difference between the proper noun 'Jack' and the verb 'to jack-off' is not punctuation, but semantics.

Thank you for yet another buzz kill. Mr. Know-it-all buzz Killington. Just trying to poke a little fun aaaaand its gone now.

A 5320.20 isn't required for silencers, but I'd do it anyway. If you're quizzed by a cop, it's good to have the paperwork to point at showing the ATF blessed off on taking your can with you.

A 5320.20 isn't required for silencers, but I'd do it anyway. If you're quizzed by a cop, it's good to have the paperwork to point at showing the ATF blessed off on taking your can with you.

+1

To be honest, I would not be concerned about filing any paperwork, it's not required or needed to do so legally. Just carry your copy of the approved form 4 and be done with it. The chances that you have any problems are almost nonexistent. Most of the guys I work with have absolutely no clue about NFA weapons. If I stop someone who happens to have anything like that in the vehicle it usually turns into a conversation about guns and gear.

There is no reason to do it if the law does not require it. I carry my suppressed bolt guns wherever the hell I please and I make sure I have a copy of my form 4 and trust in a nice binder. In case they should question me (which it has never happened).
I have been around Police officers my whole life, I have NEVER had one question me about NFA items. Some of them ask to shoot the item in question more then anything else. Same thing with some ATF field agents, I had my suppressed SBR out in my local store and they were asking me where I got certain parts and so on.

Just carry your paperwork and don't plan on stopping in a state that does not allow them, you are allowed to pass thru.

Kind of unrelated, but if you are stopped by the police are you required to tell them you have NFA firearms in your car? Or only if they ask if you have weapons?

I can speak only for Arizona, but here you do not have to say anything about them unless you are asked. That being said, it's always best practice that you let them know where any firearms are.

The one that always drives me insane is the person who "forgets" they have a pistol in the glove box. They then go reaching for their registration when I see the gun. That's just not cool. Just let us know, most of us won't give you a hard time. Then again, if you're in some extremely liberal place with crazy gun control you may run into some issues depending on who you get stopped by.

Kind of unrelated, but if you are stopped by the police are you required to tell them you have NFA firearms in your car? Or only if they ask if you have weapons?

Nope. They have no right to question the contents of your vehicle unless they suspect you of committing a crime. If they ask if you have weapons in the car, you can tell them you have your bolt gun safely stored in the back of the vehicle in which it is locked up and you are the only person that could open it up.

They like you to be flat out honest, clear, and to the point. If they get an attitude ask them to call their superior officer to the scene.

I agree with the comments here that you don't need to send in the 5320.20 form for suppressors. This is a waste of your time, but more important a complete waste of the ATFs time. Keep in mind that they are already resource constrained and now they have to process all these unnecessary forms when they can spend their time better processing forms 4s for the rest of us. So please don't bottle neck the process with unnecessary form 5320.20s for suppressors. Thanks.