• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Tales from selling stuff to the gun crowd....

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    This thread is for stupid shit that you have personally seen while selling stuff to or buying stuff from "the gun crowd"

I shall start:

1. Posted a Larue upper receiver for $200. People start PM'ing me and asking me what barrel and rail length it has on it, and if it has the BCG. Its just the receiver, folks. Anyone selling a $1000 Larue complete upper needs to review their drug intake.

2. Was on armslist and posted a Scar 16....nice gun. Some guy messages me and says he has not ONLY a Mosin Nagant, but also a Hi-point pistol. No shit, he will trade me BOTH of them for just my one SCAR16. No shit. Both.

3. This one wasn't the stupidity of the seller - it was transferred stupidity from the other buyers. I purchase a Vortex Recon monocular with a reticle, and the seller tells me "make sure you know that thing isn't a riflescope. It don't go on a gun - you just look through it". He had obviously sold this before....and gotten it back once.

4. Saw a deal that was too good to be true on a DTA. So I ask the seller for more pics. Pics of the front...the back...underneath...with the magazine in....with the magazine out..on a sofa. Literally watched that asshole scroll through google images and start dishing out everything that was there, even of different color rifles with different optics.

Why dont people read the whole damn ad? If they do they have the retention of a flea.
    For sale ad..... NO TRADES AT THIS TIME.... "hey I have a (fill in the blank) I'll trade ya...
    or scope has a mil-dot reticle....."what reticle does it have?"

After missing or ignoring my "no trades please" clause, I was once offered my choice of either a five-person Jacuzzi, or a home-gym for the rifle I had for sale.

I was in PX section and saw someone who posted No trades please. Someone offered up some items for trade in a post ahead of me. I may have been drinking and thought it was a good idea to keep stiring the pot. I think people around here don't have much of a sense of humor in the PX section. I got a pretty nasty response. I just laughed it off. I guess that's what the Bear Pit is for?

What do you know, I even got that wrong!!!

A while back I had a Mini14 forsale and had a buyer contact me. We arranged to meet up. It's an hour drive for me and I arrived at the appointed time and place. He finally showed up about 20min later (I was just about to leave thinking he flaked). He inspects the rifle and likes it, then says "Do I pay you now? I didn't bring any money.........." WTF!!!

I think that was the last time I tried selling anything.

When you post an item for sale with a "firm" price and inevitably you get that PM "what's your bottom dollar?".

Posted a Giraud trimmer for sale. First PM was "I'll take it." Second was a lowball offer. I posted SPF. Got a second PM from the lowballer complaining I didn't give him a chance to up his offer.

I had one of my NF or S&Bs for sale once. Some dude here with a lot of post offered me up some high end fishing gear in trade. lol But generally I hate putting stuff up for sale since it's just a free invite for people who have garbage laying around to try to trade you their junk for your gear. Hey man, would you take a Millet 1-4 and a Leupold 3-18 for your S&B 5-25MSR? lol I just had a NF ATACR 5-25F1 FS/FT, everyone was wanting to trade a 1500-2K dollar scope straight up, no cash on top. I know everyone wants the killer elite deal, but lets be realistic here people. Another one was when I had a simple set of Badger M40 USMC rings for sale and a guy wanted to make sure it was a 4 digit serial number on the rings.

When I post firm on the price and people start wheedlin jimming me I just up the price $500 and let them know they can talk me down to the price in the ad. Or I respond in Russian, and when they ask WTF I say "you don't natively speak English so I decided to guess what language you do speak. Firm isn't really a word in Russian. They use the phrase "svetlanas titties" instead...."

when i post firm on the price and people start wheedlin jimming me i just up the price $500 and let them know they can talk me down to the price in the ad. Or i respond in russian, and when they ask wtf i say "you don't natively speak english so i decided to guess what language you do speak. Firm isn't really a word in russian. They use the phrase "svetlanas titties" instead...."

are those "firm" priced?

I posted a 6.5-06 for sale on a local forum. Had multiple pm's asking what caliber it was. One guy got belligerent that I was attempting to scam people because the 6.5-06 did not exist because nobody carried factory ammo. Fast forward a few years I posted a build thread on my 6mm creedmoor same guy gets irate in the thread because the 6 creedmoor couldn't exist and I was obviously building a 6.5 creedmoor. And had made a typo.

The I have yz to trade you for x even though you explained you weren't interested in any trades kill me.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

I posted a 6.5-06 for sale on a local forum. Had multiple pm's asking what caliber it was. One guy got belligerent that I was attempting to scam people because the 6.5-06 did not exist because nobody carried factory ammo. Fast forward a few years I posted a build thread on my 6mm creedmoor same guy gets irate in the thread because the 6 creedmoor couldn't exist and I was obviously building a 6.5 creedmoor. And had made a typo.

The I have yz to trade you for x even though you explained you weren't interested in any trades kill me.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

These are the types that love to get hold of new shooters at gun stores and ranges and "teach" them all about guns and shooting.

I wish I could remember more of the details of this story.
    Copper Creek's Josh shared a story he had with a customer.
    The man wanted 308 ammo for a "mission" for a one shot one kill at 1k.
    The customer was obviously off his rocker.

Another was at Cabela's, had a employee tell me his bud could hit a beer can at a mile with his 308 every time.

R

Another was at Cabela's, had a employee tell me his bud could hit a beer can at a mile with his 308 every time.

R

My grandpa shot a duck that fell and killed a 14 pt buck that was drinking from a tank. when he pulled the bucks head out of the water, his horn speared a world record bass. No shit.

My favorite with low ball offers is to reply, Yes, I accept your offer plus 'x' amount to ship it (where the shipping price makes up the difference). Most don't reply after that but one guy wondered why shipping was going to be just over $350 (when it would've been $50), lol.

Had a buddy selling an HK tactical in 45 super with threaded barrel and all kinds of goodies. Had a guy ask if it had "super tactical" engraved on the slide. My buddy simoly respinded "i wont sell it to your kind".

Ok here is something from me a buyer asking a question/s about a item for sale seeing how the add is vague in description and has been posted for a while
    Question 1 First off do you still have the item If so then
    question 2 xxxxxxxxxx
    question 3 xxxxxxxxx
    question 4 xxxxxxxxx
    the x's represent question asked about the item that had almost no description

ANSWER yes I still have it
    WTF are people unable to read past the first question
    If the add was complete questions would not have to be asked

Went to Cabelas was looking at a Tikka I took the bolt out. A friend had a question about the gun she was looking at. I had the guy the tikka and set the bolt on the counter. I get two steps away and the guy says sir sir I need you to fix this. He didn't know how to put the bolt in...

I made a thread a while back asking why a large portion of buyers on many sites (not just this one) are fucking retarded. Bogey and I literally make fun of the stupid shit we've gotten over PMs and emails from buyers on a daily basis. Selling things on websites makes me question how most people get out of bed in the morning and manage to put their pants on correctly. Listen, I'm decently intelligent but I never thought I could cure cancer, or go to the moon or invent time travel or some shit; but the more I deal with people buying things on the internet, the more I am convinced that I have to be one of the 10 smartest people on this planet.

A few examples:

- You have a BNIB item for sale. You say its exactly that item, in the box. It's nothing exotic. It looks exactly like the 897897097809 images on google that come up when you search for it. Buyer shows up asking for pics. Fine, here are some pics of the BNIB item; you know, the EXACT fucking thing that you thought it would be before asking for a fucking picture of it.

'Oh, let me think about it'

WTF are you fucking retarded? How about you 'think about it' before you waste my motherfucking time?

- Post an ad with NO TRADES right at the top so even the people that apparently get ADD after reading 5 words read it.

Almost immediately, I get trade offers and asking if I'll take a trade. Additionally, 90% of peoples' trade items are complete and utter shit. I've witnessed people that try to piece together a trade offer (that I didnt ask for) using not only shit items (that I dont want) but then also trying to substantiate my asking price against the FULL RETAIL VALUE of their shit items. I literally got shit like this, and the best part was that they were totally fucking serious. It was like they looked around their single wide for any random piece of shit they had that 'could go' added up some imaginary full retail cost of each item and figured they would magically barter it for a high end rifle.

"I see you have a new KAC SR25 for sale. Would you be interested in a trade? I have an old ALICE pack, a Glock 19 I hand stippled the grip on, a tasco scope with rings, 650 rounds of 45GAP, 300 once fired 300 Weatherby brass, an iphone 4, a Lee handpress, a Black & Decker hammer drill, 47 30 cal ammo cans with some rust on some of them, 2 sets of 1 inch rings, a Casio watch, a Bushnell golf rangefinder, some 30 carbine RCBS dies, a Brunton compass, Lee and Sierra reloading manuals from 2012 and an electric foot massager my wife's feet were too big for. If you pay shipping I think we'd have a deal."

I once had someone offer to trade me some old fucking Ford Tempo for a $7k KAC rifle. Sorry bud, you inside that Ford Tempo still aren't worth the KAC rifle.

- Ask for 778637809890809 pictures of an item that I described accurately and then ask for more and then either A. don't even fucking respond or B. come up with some bullshit like 'oh, well I'd need to sell some stuff first'.

- Ask 790808 questions about the item that aren't specific to its condition but rather shit that could all be answered with a fucking google search. These tards also usually just disappear or make up some bullshit.

(Vincent Hannah)Stop wasting my motherfucking time!(Vincent Hannah)

- WTS brand new scope. with all details and link to manufacturers site showing the scopes details, MIL/MIL with MIL-R reticle brand new in box

'What reticle does it have' 'How long have you had it' 'how many rounds have you shot with it' 'do you have the box?' 'will it fit on my Remington 700' 'why are you selling it' 'is this better than X scope' 'does it have a range finder' 'can you take 47 pictures of it' 'does your cost include overnight shipping to taiwan'' what can you tell me about this scope?'

Bottom line, if you aren't willing to read (and comprehend) the ad, you just look like a fucking moron when you PM/email me. Also, if you decide to be one of those lookie loos that want pictures and then disappear without even a thank you, or 'have to ask your wife' or 'need to sell some stuff' or whatever bullshit you want to try and pass off due to your lack of backbone; just save yourself some time because as some of you may know, the price just went up should you decide to resurface with your bullshit. I've had someone actually pay 25% more because of this shit once where it was like the 4th pass of their lookie looness and the next step was to literally beat their ass.

If you're not willing to buy the item assuming everything is as advertised, when you IM/PM about it, you're wasting my motherfucking time and you are the reason I am looking to invent some sort of technology that allows me to stab you in your face through my computer screen because you deserve it. It'll be like a brand for internet forum idiots.

ETA- No Frank, I'm NOT complaining about the EE section. I know what you're going to say :)

Last edited:
    I hate it when you buy something that "has only been to the range once" or "it sits in the safe the whole time" and when you receive it...well...they lied. Oh, and people need to learn how to use the right tools for the job. A butter knife or a damn flathead screwdriver is NOT a torque wrench ya damn jackass!

So, there IS a reason to ask for pictures that isn't stupid. Even of a BNIB item. When you ask for pictures, and someone provides them, you can then search Google Images for those pictures. If it's a scammer, chances are VERY high that you will find that same picture on Armslist or something like that.

If you think that someone is a scammer, you should ask for pictures that are somewhat uncommon. Like "can you send me a picture of the label on the box?" Most scammers can't or won't send them. In fact some of them become complete assholes and say "are you gonna buy this fucking thing or not? I'm not sending you pictures you douchebag, its BNIB".

I have dodged dozens of scammers this way. There are a huge number of them that post shit that was on Armslist on Gunbroker, and vice versa. Just at half the price of the real auction.

- You have a BNIB item for sale. You say its exactly that item, in the box. It's nothing exotic. It looks exactly like the 897897097809 images on google that come up when you search for it. Buyer shows up asking for pics. Fine, here are some pics of the BNIB item; you know, the EXACT fucking thing that you thought it would be before asking for a fucking picture of it.

'

So, there IS a reason to ask for pictures that isn't stupid. Even of a BNIB item. When you ask for pictures, and someone provides them, you can then search Google Images for those pictures. If it's a scammer, chances are VERY high that you will find that same picture on Armslist or something like that.

If you think that someone is a scammer, you should ask for pictures that are somewhat uncommon. Like "can you send me a picture of the label on the box?" Most scammers can't or won't send them. In fact some of them become complete assholes and say "are you gonna buy this fucking thing or not? I'm not sending you pictures you douchebag, its BNIB".

I have dodged dozens of scammers this way. There are a huge number of them that post shit that was on Armslist on Gunbroker, and vice versa. Just at half the price of the real auction.

Right, but my point is more in the direction of, (assuming its legit) its exactly what you thought/knew it was going to be. So unless the next step is you buy it, you're a fucking moron wasting my time.

Why ask for pics for an item when you have no intention of buying the item?

Kinda related...
    I had a few minutes to kill so I went into a coffee shop to grab a coffee and sit. I'm wearing a Magpul truckers cap.

The guy behind the counter says (very loudly so all the hipsters in the place turn and stare LOL), "Magpul! They make best damn scopes in the world! I was, blah blah, blah, blah, for the state of GA and the Magpul rep came out and told our crew, these scopes are made for one thing...that's to kill! Then more blah, blah, blah,"

Holy shit that guy was a ricky retardo. I just smiled and said yeah, they're good. Looking around the room after that was hilarious, the hipsters were terrified because they had no idea what was happening.

Thank God I've never told The German I need to check with my wife (for the record, I always have to check with my wife!). No one wants to be stabbed in the throat by someone having a nervous breakdown over internet tire kickers!

King makes a great point about scammers. But really, there are a shit-ton of sellers (buyers aren't the only people who are annoying or full of shit) who tell you "BNIB". "Really, it's brand fucking new, what do you need fucking pictures for? Look on Smith and Wesson's website you fucking moron!" Yes, it's new in that they've never taken it to the range, or [fill in the blank]. But they leave out the part about how they've fondled their new precious for thirty nights straight before they realized they couldn't afford it or bought the wrong thing. There's now a deep turn mark on the revolver. There's an idiot mark on the 1911 from poor reassembly skills after the "tactical field stripping" they tried. Repeatedly. There's ring marks from the attempted mounting on crooked cheap rings. The finish chip from their kid dropping it after they brought it home and showed it off. All before they "used" it. And while they still think of it (from a moronic seller's perspective) as "new".

So yeah, I hear you on the bullshit and someone putting you through extra effort without having even first thought through "will I actually buy it if the condition is as described". And not reading the description is pathetic. But pictures are often a sound request from a prudent buyer.

Last edited:
    I got entirely out of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 in the late summer and early fall of 2008 during the run-up to BHO's ascendancy. One guy offered me unlimited vegetables out of his garden for the rest of the season for an obscene portion of my stash. Others would show up for FTF sales and then try to renegotiate the price, as if it weren't a seller's market. I had one who insisted on a thorough demonstration of the contents of all the cans, because he couldn't believe that x quantity of ammunition only took up y amount of space. I mean, right down to opening up all the bandoleers and counting. One of the funniest things that happened was pulling up behind the other party in the transaction in a MDonalds parking lot and watching him look up at the rear view mirror and mouth a stunned "Holy shit!" when he got a load of me.

I bought a pregnant hooker once, on purpose.

There's safety in the proper preposition, my friend. One of our more combative tro-lo-lo-lols would be well advised to brush up if he wants to keep on playing at being an expat Brit. That said, "catching a load of" and "catching a load from" don't quite say the same thing, although I might have thought once or twice about frosting his flakes in exchange for the 700 rounds of .357 SIG FMJ I was picking up. Don't tell anyone, but I think I ended that last bit with a preposition.

There's safety in the proper preposition, my friend. One of our more combative tro-lo-lo-lols would be well advised to brush up if he wants to keep on playing at being an expat Brit. That said, "catching a load of" and "catching a load from" don't quite say the same thing, although I might have thought once or twice about frosting his flakes in exchange for the 700 rounds of .357 SIG FMJ I was picking up. Don't tell anyone, but I think I ended that last bit with a preposition.

Isn't there suppose to be an "H" in there? :D

What a bald-faced lie!
    The "once" was a dead giveaway.

He's a popped tart recidivist.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hlsFgDjyePc?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I get really bored with the crowd at a gun show, I will put a new $20 bill on the table with a price of $19 and just wait for the idiots to see it.
    People will pick it up and examine closely and ask "what's up with this"?
    I tell them it's a $20 bill for only $19 dollars, but I can't make change. You have to give me $19 exactly.
    Most just put it back while giving me a funny look. Only had one guy in 17 years buy the $20 bill.

Looks like that $20 has been around for a while...I notice it's been sitting on your table all day...best I can do is $18, it'll save you the trouble of carting it back home...take it or leave it.
    cheapskate-ftr.jpg

Looks like that $20 has been around for a while...I notice it's been sitting on your table all day...best I can do is $18, it'll save you the trouble of carting it back home...take it or leave it.
    cheapskate-ftr.jpg

I am "laughing out loud" right now, awesome

When I get really bored with the crowd at a gun show, I will put a new $20 bill on the table with a price of $19 and just wait for the idiots to see it.
    People will pick it up and examine closely and ask "what's up with this"?
    I tell them it's a $20 bill for only $19 dollars, but I can't make change. You have to give me $19 exactly.
    Most just put it back while giving me a funny look. Only had one guy in 17 years buy the $20 bill.

If you did that at one of our shows, one of the hood rats would have it in his pocket before you could set back down.

I also love it when an old South Dakota Farmer tells me that I'm too high on a Pre-64 Model 70. They usually tell me something like; "I bought one of those in .270 used in '68 for $115 and you want $1200 now, you're crazy". Then I always say that they can have it for $115, IF I can buy some of their farmland for 1968 prices as well. Then I get the "NOW YOU'RE REALLY F@$&ING CRAZY"! And they stomp away shaking their heads.

Last edited:
    I also love it when an old South Dakota Farmer tells me that I'm too high on a Pre-64 Model 70. They usually tell me something like; "I bought one of those in .270 used in '68 for $115 and you want $1200 now, you're crazy". Then I always say that they can have for $115, IF I can buy some of their farmland for 1968 prices as well. Then I get the "NOW YOU'RE F@$&ING CRAZY"! And they stomp away shaking their heads.

Well played.