• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing talk about bad luck....

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
Ok so I inherited some money and got the go ahead to get some new toys.. So I get a300blk upper and a308 ar that was a home build. The 308 was built with everything I would have used to build my own so I bit and got it. Now the problems.same on both of them.the barrels spun in the extension while trying to remove the flash hiders from the barrels. I want using retard strength on them.so now they need to go to a Smith for repair.

Re: talk about bad luck....

I'm so mad I can't see straight and am terribly disappointed. Once they have come lose can they be rr torqued or am I screwed? Both are well past their inspection period so no recourse from seller. I've already shoot apa an email and am trying to find the new shop some of the former employees formed when they left apa as well so I call them for their opinion as well. Thanks.
Oh and all the bolts on the jp hand guard were torqued so much the head rounded out as well.so ive gotta get new screws for that as well.

If you just unsceawed them, no big deal.

re-torque, check headspace, install and move on with life.

I can see that it sucks, but its not the end of your project(s)

Not quite that easy.
By the way you have written your post, I am going to assume these are both AR uppers.

If the barrel spun, you have most likely damaged your gasa tube (not a real big deal). You will need some tools, but it is actually a fairly easy fix.

Since you apparently have both an AR15 and an AR10, it may be easier to find either a smith or a local "Ar builder" with the tools and pay them to do it.

There is no "headspacing" on an AR barrel, the barrel is fully chambered, there is really no torque either. Snug the collar as tight as possible, but the hole must be aligned to allow the gas tube to pass thru.

If they are "AR's" and the barrels "spun", then the index pin is bent or broke or the slot in the receiver for the pin is gouged out. Only way to know is take it apart and look.

Barrel nuts should be torqed to 35-80 foot pounds, unless the manufacturer of the barrel nut suggests otherwise.
But as far as the barrel "spun", sounds like the index pin broke. An AR barrel doesnt "spin".

Yes I have both platforms. The blk barrel is spun in the extension. I can see it.the 308 I've Goya drill and extract the screws from the jp hand guard.once that's done I can remove it to inspect my screw UPS. I'm thinking it will be cheaper to get the tools and do it myself.rather than send them out.thanks for the help guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel nuts should be torqed to 35-80 inch pounds, unless the manufacturer of the barrel nut suggests otherwise.
But as far as the barrel "spun", sounds like the index pin broke. An AR barrel doesnt "spin". </div></div>

I think you mean 35-80 <span style="font-weight: bold">FOOT</span>-pounds....??

Yup ft. the extension is the problem part. The blk upper was racked as well. Have a new Ext on order & well. Talk about buyers remorse.....

Should have heated the flash hider before trying to remove it.

You should be able to put some heat on the jp screw to get them out rather than trashing things. Are you sure the flash hides aren't pinned? If they aren't pinned then heat them too.

Heated the screws on the hg. Got them out. Big relief there. Gonna tear the rest of it down for repair when I get back to mY work.have heavier vices and an acetylene torch.saw no signs of a pin on the the 308(vltor). The other one was something stronger than loctite but did give in after the damage was done.

The bulk barrel is going in for a new extension though. I hated the dicked up looking feed ramp Anyways. Since the upper was total I striped it and replacing it as well. Nice expensive lesson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel nuts should be torqed to 35-80 inch pounds, unless the manufacturer of the barrel nut suggests otherwise.
But as far as the barrel "spun", sounds like the index pin broke. An AR barrel doesnt "spin". </div></div>

I think you mean 35-80 <span style="font-weight: bold">FOOT</span>-pounds....?? </div></div>

Oops. My bad. I knew it was foot pounds. No idea why I typed inch...

Also a good idea to put the barrel in a block in a vise when dealing with flash hiders or muzzle brakes. This way the barrel isn't going to possibly 'spin' in the receiver like it might if just using a receiver block.

Propane torch is sufficient, no need for oxy/acetylene unless you are trying to cut it up.

I'm assuming that you did not use a barrel block and a vise?
AMER-001.gif

Not trying to postmortem your goof.
I just added the comment so that your post can be a learning one for others.

Using an action block to work on FH is asking for trouble.
The method that I prefer is to remove the forearm and use a barrel block in that location.
That way all the torque is transferred to the vise and the upper receiver is not stressed at all.

On flash hiders, use of a propane torch is a good place to start.
You do need to check to make sure that the FH is not pinned first though.
If heat does not work, then RockSet was likely used.
With RockSet, the heat won't help in loosening it.
You will need to use a hot water soak.

As far as stuck screws / bolts go, try placing the tip of a soldering iron on the head for a few minutes prior to loosening.
This effectively transfers the heat to where it is needed.

I was a dummy.didn't use my barrel blocks even though I have them. I can't see why rock set on a16"barrel. But given my luck i'm sure it was. How hot does the bath have to be? I can set my posts washer at work to almost 300 degrees f.

5 to 10 minutes in boiling water will do the trick...
You will start to see a white haze coming from the flash hider.

If that makes you nervous, you can let it soak for an hour in water that is as hot as your water heater can get it.

Or overnight in cold water...or soak in WD40 iffin' your skered of water
smile.gif

Thanks. Not scared of water at all. Will do it after work and report back.got the upper rotten down to the outer barrel nut just gotta get a strap wrench to get that off to inspect the upper.the barrel screwed right out of the extension and looks fine.

That is good news!

I would recomend cleaning both sets of threads on the barrel & barrel extension.
Mount the barrel in a vise. (Using a block...)
Then apply some Rockset and torque down.
There is way too much heat in that location to trust Loctite and unless you have a barrel extension tool, you won't be able to apply enough torque to trust it not to come loose.

You can order a small one use tube of Rockset from Midway USA for $2.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746260/...single-use-tube

While you are waiting for your Rockset, go ahead and remove your flash hider and prep the new one for install.

By the way, you are going to love the 300 BLK!
It is a really fun cartridge.
P1010272_WEB.jpg

Suppressed use is even more fun...
wink.gif

Thank you.I willorder the rock set and the extension tool today. Better safe then sorry. Not taking any chances. And yes I will use my blocks!

Another technique for removing stuck flash hiders/muzzle brakes.
-cut through the flash hider on the top and the bottom with a cutoff wheel. The line of the cut should run parallel with the barrel. Do not cut through the base of the flash hider, where the barrel threads into it, a deep groove will work.

-secure the assembly and drive a cold chisel through the two cuts in the muzzle device. It will start to peel apart like a banana.

This is how I remove pinned on devices.

Ok heres where i'mat. flashider is pdf with only minor cosmetic damage. Barrel is out and gtg. Extension is out and gtg. Outer nut is off and upper is gtg.the outer nut is toast. Calling jp in the morning for a new one. Haven't gotten to the blk yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup ft. the extension is the problem part. The blk upper was racked as well. Have a new Ext on order & well. </div></div>

NO!
Don't try and swap barrel extensions.
There is no standard thread timing.
The original barrel extension sets where the top of the barrel and hence the gas port is located.

You are gonna want to keep the original barrel extensions with those barrels and just re-torque them back together.
Hit me up offline if you need more advice.
I specialize in all aspects of AR15 barrel work.