• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Talk Me Into Or Out Of A Chassis

surffly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2013
So I have a R700 AAC-SD in .308 I have been shooting for a bit now.
Focused a lot on "bang for the buck" when putting it all together. Didn't want to use the term budget, more focusing on spending money to add to the shooting.

Set up is as follows
-SWFA 10x side focus
-SWFA low rings
-TPS 20moa rail
-US optics Anti Cant level
-Harris 6-9 swivel bi pod
-Extended swivel lock
-AAC single chamber brake

While I do not have the strong hate for the houge stock that some have I am looking at it as the next think I would like to upgrade.
Thinking is that with the stock change I would like to add a detachable box magazine. After looking around and again trying to focus on value the Bell&Carlson stocks seem to make their way to the top of the list. But when looking at the price of the mag kit and stock I can't help but think a MDT LSS is more the way to go. I think it actually would be cheaper! I don't want some huge/ugly folding stock, or something with a million rails for God knows what so the LSS really peaked my interest.

So after such a long winded post the real question is "is the LSS worth it as an upgrade and competitively priced to give me the value I am looking for?"

Not sure on what butt stock to use. Never really liked the collapsable stocks as I felt they "wiggle" to much. Maybe I'm being stupid.

So any and all advice is welcome
Thanks

Current set up because pictures are fun
6F7F667F-BCEA-40F0-8336-EB34A1107653_zpscmugnkz3.jpg

Just put my savage fcp 10 .308 in a xlr chassis couldn't be happier, I wasn't really a folding stock guy but I decided to give the xlr folder option a try, this thing is rock solid ,no slack, no play, check them out just another option as there are many

The MDT seems pretty nice for a minimalist chassis, and its only a bit over the cost of a badger M5 DBM and inletting cost. The cool thing is you can just drop your barreled/ scoped action right in and no need to change rings.

XLR has also come out with a similar base chassis, and you can integrate various folding or fixed butt stocks.

XLR Industries | Element-chassis

I know you said the "MDT LSS," but I only have experience with the Kinetic Research Group; Whiskey 3 (Gen 2, Gen 3 & now Gen 4) chassis's. Here is my take on the whole Chassis vs Conventional Stock dilemma.

BUY THE DAMN CHASSIS!!! Here is why; if you buy a mcmillan or manners stock (both great stocks, have owned and shot both), you need to also purchase a DBM system, if you want adjustable cheek rest; you can have it (but its gonna be an upcharge), if you want an adjustable length of pull; you can have it (but its gonna be another upcharge). God forbid you want to add any of those 3 features after the fact and have to pay a gunsmith or machinist to inlet and install any of those (not that I am against either trades).

If you buy a chassis, it will have (at least the Whiskey 3) a DBM system incorporated, an adjustable cheek rest, and also adjustable length of pull.

The other thing to keep in mind, chassis do not need to be bedded.

If you were to add all of the $50 here, $120 there, $95 here, etc. Chassis's look really damn cheap when it is all said and done.

Maybe it is me being biased, I am a welder/fabricator, I love metal. It is consistent in all weather conditions (not that other stock materials are not), it repeats settings extremely well, and they are getting pretty dang lightweight when comparing apples to apples (features) now-a-days.

With all that being said, once I started shooting these Whiskey 3 chassis, I have not looked back. Lightning quick adjustments, repeatable adjustments, folder, comfortable, lightweight (my new build weighs 12.5# with scope "Bushnell XRS", loaded mag, bipod). Hope this helps.

**I personally do not care for the AR buttstocks on precision rifles**

Why one light weight chassis over the other?
MDT seems like the cheapest, and I have preferred the style too.

6 in 1, half dozen in the other.

For me, XLR is a Colorado company and Kyle backs his gear up.

MDT may be a good choice, but have not heard any feedback on the company or chassis.

I have a chassis addiction but I always tell people to try one before you buy, they are not for everyone. With that said I have has the McRees, AICS, KRG X-Ray, MDT, Axiom and XLR. I now just run XLR, AICS and the KRG X-Ray. All were great but these three are my personal favorites. I find the chassis to be comfortable to shoot, cost effective and easy to upgrade with rails, NV attachments etc. and if your shooting changes you can take all that crap off and still have a nice clean look. I really don't see myself moving from a chassis anytime soon and with the new lighter XLR and KRG's at around $550 a pop they are really cost effective.

Sully

Why one light weight chassis over the other?
MDT seems like the cheapest, and I have preferred the style too.

Cheapest isn't always best. Also, add a buffer tube, stock, etc to the MDT LSS. Maybe look into the XLR Element, which can be ordered as of yesterday. KRG xray looks great, but who knows when you would actually get your hands on one.

X Ray and element look like nice options.
Guess I have to figure out what the pros and cons of each are.

I put my Rem 700AAC in a MDT LSS and love it. Only problem I had was the action fit to tight in the chassis and I had to relive it some. With a Magpul CTR collaspible stock it makes a great brush country hunter. That new XLR does look sexy too.

I have two XLR and one McRee ... I prefer the XLR but think the McRee has a better folder design. Preference on features will point you towards the right Chassis.

I'm leaning LSS as it seems the smallest and gives good options for what I want.

Did read something about not being able to remove the bolt or something?

I have two XLR and one McRee ... I prefer the XLR but think the McRee has a better folder design. Preference on features will point you towards the right Chassis.

Sapper, do you have the old style folder mech or the new one? I have the new one and it locks tight as a drum and the button has the right pressure so it will not unlock on its own. Had the Mcrees folder and this is actually a better design and much easier to unlock.

Sully

X Ray and element look like nice options.
Guess I have to figure out what the pros and cons of each are.

I have the X-Ray and what I can say is it is light, half the weight of my AICS, solid and has perfect ergonomics and lots of goodies you can attach. It is by far the overall best chassis I have used. In a VERY tight second is the XLR, but I do not have the element. I have no doubt it will be as excellent as the other chassis Kyle produces and between the two you can not go wrong. I was not a fan of the MDT although I did not have the LSS. It looked cool but did not feel right. I also upgraded to a heaver barrel/recoil lug and changed the trigger out and the action would not fit properly back into the chassis. I could have modified it some but decided to just sell it as I was not happy with it to begin with. Also the LSS does not include the tube and but stock additions so more cost there where the XLR and X-Ray are drop and shoot.

Sully

For the best bang for the buck, the Mcree chassis all the way. Ive had mine for close to two years and have zero complaints. I also have a Manners t4 mini chassis and a Mcmillan A5 but out of all of them.. I like my Mcmillan the best.

Wouldn't that be customizable?

Not really. You will have to put a stock on it to try to resolve the cheek weld issue, which normal AR stocks don't do. (A magpul PRS, or aftermarket add on can do that).

But then look closely, the attachment point for the stock is quite a bit behind the traditional attachment point for an AR stock - So length of pull is going to be different, possibly a big problem depending on the stock design. An adjustable stock here will fix that, but you'll want one that resolves the cheek weld issues I mentioned before. Then make sure this buttstock you've selected will let you remove the bolt without a majior issue.

I got behind one, didn't like it (sight picture/cheek weld was off).. Got behind an XLR, it was pure gold. I now own an XLR carbon.

If you are thinking about using a folding adapter, the attachment point for the AR stock adds a couple of inches to the overall folded length over say, the XLR.

Something to think about.
I just assumed the riser from magpul solved the issue. And the LOP was solved due to the adjustability of the collapsable stock.
Cheek hight looked the same on all. Wish some place local had some as I would really like to get behind a few to really know.

Not looking for rails or folders.
Just a simple, light and small chassis

my vote is for xlr, and based upon your needs/wants the new Element chassis fits that bill. i had same basic wants/needs in a chassis and he element hit EVERY point. No unneeded thrills, adju cheek riser, and LOP and at a GREAT price. Also VERY hard to beat Kyle's CS at xlr

Another +1 for the XLR. Kyle sends out top notch gear. If you are still leaning towards the LSS, I believe you can fit one of Kyle's butt stocks to it. I would confirm before you make the leap though.

I bought my MDT LSS before the XLR was available. An easily adjustable buttstock was a necessity for my type of hunting so that made the Lss work for me. Added a Magpul CTR with a cheek riser and that gives a good cheek weld. I also filled my buffer tube with 71/2 lead shot which helped the balance some and tammed down that 16.5 inch barrel jump. I don't mind the added weight. This stock setup is not as nice as my PRS stock on my MDT TAC21 but this is a hunting rig so compact and adjustability is a big plus. This setup produces very good accuracy for hunting conditions.

I've done the store demo of the AI chassis (2.0 and AX), and went to XLR's shop in Colorado to get behind their product. While I really felt good behind the AI system, there were a few things that made me consider the Evolution Carbon to be the better chassis for my needs. I did see the Element while I was down there, and it is a gorgeous piece of machining! My goals with purchasing a chassis system for my Rem 700 was to allow for better fitment, having a folding stock option for ease of cleaning with the high cheek weld, additional flexibility with mounting points, and getting magazine compatibility.

I decided to go with the XLR carbon evolution chassis for the following reasons:

-With the evolution of this platform, I think that it has developed into an amazingly adjustable platform. One of the things that I wasn't aware of before meeting with Kyle, is that the stock assembly (by virtue of effectively being mounted on a buffer tube type assembly) can be adjusted and locked into a non-vertical position. This can help get the cheekweld positioning just right, since if you have a skinny or fat head, you usually don't have any options for adjustment other than raising or lowering the cheek rest. The butt plate adjustment on some of the stock options will then allow for some adjustment of the butt plate back to vertical or an alternate cant position.

-The smooth round forearm piece is more comfortable to hold in my hand than a squared off bottom when doing non-prone shooting positions. I also like the full barrel surround, as I will use that as support/mount point for mirage shrouds in cold weather shooting.

-For having a longer barrel shroud (15.5" for my 26" barrel), the weight of the chassis isn't overly heavy, and if you sacrifice some stock adjustability, you can get even lighter. Unfortunately, the one thing about XLR that is lacking right now is their website. It doesn't show half of the things that they can do, so you will want to check the threads or talk with Kyle about what is possible.

-I also appreciated that Kyle continues to evolve the design of his stock to work better. If you keep a close eye on the pictures within the long thread about XLR stocks, you will notice a recent change that appears to have happened recently around the forward end of the magwell to make loading magazines easier.

-The pricing relative to similar levels of features seemed to me to be more competitive than the AI and KRG.

-I appreciated the fact that Kyle is based in Colorado and that he would accommodate my travel schedule and be willing to meet me on a Saturday afternoon, when I happened to be doing something else in the area.

Personally, I prefer more discreet looking stocks and thus looks were not part of my overall consideration. I got here because I was really unsatisfied with how the HS Precision stock fit me and I really want to be able to dial in the fit. That left me with far fewer options, and thus went with the XLR.

Good luck in your deliberations!

i have had or still have one of every name chassis out there: AI,AX,Mcree, XLR, Whisky, Manners, MDT, i know i missing one or two (i like playing barbie with my long guns). in my opinion the chassis that fit me and my shooting style/location is the Ashbury International, i know they are expensive (you can get a pared version now) but they are light years ahead of the others. i have never shot my 338's with less felt recoil and more comfort than with those; it can be set up so you really can "fall asleep" behind the rifle.

the folder is rock solid, LRA bipod is strong enough that with a heavy barreled gun there is no unwanted wiggle in the legs and there are enough adjustments to float any ones boat.

that being said they sent the wrong screw pack with the shipment so i was going crazy putting it together over a long weekend but after a phone call they ups'ed down the correct ones.

i am actually in the process of looking what rifle will get the APO next, i think it will by my 300 win mag.

as once told from an old-timer...buy once cry once.

I use a couple different chassis’s and regular or conventional stocks like B&C and Manners. Depending on where you live and the conditions in which you shoot one down side I have found with a chassis is the cold. When it is cold out, especially when it below freezing, anything made of metal that you or your gloved or hooded skin touches is going to have heat sucked out of it and not be too much fun. Just something to keep in mind...

That aluminum chassis does get COLD but it does everything I want so I can tolerate it. Course I am in south Texas where 35 is cold!

That aluminum chassis does get COLD but it does everything I want so I can tolerate it. Course I am in south Texas where 35 is cold!

one more reason i fell in love with the APO, the grip is ar-15ish (soft rubber), cheek piece is plastic which is a hell of a lot better than metal in the cold (seems like the same material as the AICS) and the forearm is carbon fiber. If you ordered the rails on the forearm and it is still too chilly you could always put on the rubber rail covers.

I have a Magpul CTR stock and riser on my LSS which is fine for cold weather. Some Mole hair on that forearm tames the cold some too. I am not a big fan of the rubber stuff because I hunt in leafy camo and the rubber really grabs holt of that stuff. The rubber does feel good though.

Too light a rifle is not always a" fun to shoot a lot rifle". If I had to carry mine all day, I would not want it to weight 10lbs like mine does! lol... But I can shoot many 175's out of it at one sitting without shutting my eyes. Just some food for thought.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but rules out the X ray due to it being plastic/poly

Really down to the LSS and thinking about the XLR.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those chassis. Pro's and con's on both. I am thinking of taking my other Rem TAC 700 out of my MDT TAC21 chassis and maybe try a the new XLR chassis for more of a longer range hunting/ bench gun set up. I just can't leave things alone! lol....

Time will tell but the X-Ray has an aluminum core just like the others. It is lighter and doesn't get cold and I'm guessing would take all kinds of abuse. As for weight, in my mind most people that want a chassis for feeding 10 rd AICS mags will be moving with the gun some, probably in comps. Just getting it from 14 lbs to 10 makes a huge difference carrying, but is still not an issue shooting sustained fire in short action calibers. The gun will still have a heavy barrel and for most, a brake or suppressor. Recoil would still be no big deal. I would not add weight on purpose unless it was a 100% belly/bench gun. As for being anti-polymer, it sounds like what everyone said about polymer handguns like Glocks at first, or pmags, etc, etc. Now they are the standard.

To be clear, I'm not ragging on XLR or any other chassis. Lot's of great options. Justin and KRG have impressed me and will be what I use on the next few builds and as a prototype long range hunting/tactical match gun. Just sharing why I chose them.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned you have to go with what works best for you. For me thats been a Rock Solid chassis

So what are the pros and cons of the LSS and the XLR(element)?
Having a hard time seeing the differences.
Maybe I'm thick.

I do like the forend on the XLR. Maybe a little better for bench shooting off a bag or more grip for off hand shooting. I hear it has a little shorter length of pull than the LSS with a fixed stock. I use an adjustable so that's not an issue for me. I also have no issues removeing the bolt as some claim. I do however have to pull my buttstock off when cleaning due to the higher cheekrest I installed but no big issue. I want a XLR element so I can say I have both! lol... The only thing I can say is what ever you buy, drop your action in it, snug it down, take it back out and check to make sure your not getting contact rubs on the sides, barrel, etc. I did have a fair amount of sanding to do on mine to get it down to the proper bedding areas. My front action screw also ended up a little long and was contacting the bolt head and had to be trimmed slightly. I would imagine the machine work was good on the chassis but like another poster compented on is that not actions of the same model are machined perfect. Mine fits good now and I am going to shoot and enjoy!

So
XLR is $630 for the one I would want
LSS is $360(discounted) plus $150 for the stock and $20 for a grip.

How are the AR stocks? Never had a collapsable stock on an AR.....live in NY.
After giving it more thought the XLR might have a more "solid" feel but still be slim and lighter weight.

I have a chassis addiction but I always tell people to try one before you buy, they are not for everyone. With that said I have has the McRees, AICS, KRG X-Ray, MDT, Axiom and XLR. I now just run XLR, AICS and the KRG X-Ray. All were great but these three are my personal favorites. I find the chassis to be comfortable to shoot, cost effective and easy to upgrade with rails, NV attachments etc. and if your shooting changes you can take all that crap off and still have a nice clean look. I really don't see myself moving from a chassis anytime soon and with the new lighter XLR and KRG's at around $550 a pop they are really cost effective.

Sully

This post pretty much sums it up. The try before you buy is a must and what works for one guy may not be your cup of tea. I still prefer Stocks with DBM.