• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me into your favorite R700 Chassis

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I have a custom .300 Win Mag that I want to drop into a new chassis.

I have been looking at the whiskey-3.

I want something with a DBM.

I have looked at the AICS but I don't like the way the skins match up.

I can also say that I really don't like the XLR.

Please post pics and or advise on your favorite chassis and let me know why.

I had an XLR...I had some serious issues with mine...Kyle was good to deal with while there was active communication...When there wasn't I felt like I was talking to a wall.

Ultimately got an AICS AX for my 300wm and I'm extremely happy.

It's light, options are great...Sturdy as all hell and it's very comfortable.

I'm in the middle of a 308 build and I really want to try out the Manners T2a...So might go that route but, not 100% yet.

Whats the primary purpose?
The Whiskey 3 is an excellent choice, and offers great features for the price.
I'm not really a fan of my AICS but the new AICS AX chassis with the right folding stock seems like viable option.
I had a Cadex Strike 33 for my 300. Very comfortable chassis. Now that the Strike Lite is available it fixes some of the complaints about how large the handguard was on the Dual.
The APO is well.

Whats the primary purpose?
The Whiskey 3 is an excellent choice, and offers great features for the price.
I'm not really a fan of my AICS but the new AICS AX chassis with the right folding stock seems like viable option.
I had a Cadex Strike 33 for my 300. Very comfortable chassis. Now that the Strike Lite is available it fixes some of the complaints about how large the handguard was on the Dual.
The APO is well.

This will be mainly for hunting and a lot of target shooting.

I know you said that you don't like the XLR but the carbon chassis would fit the bill here. The APO chassis would be another option. Especially as you can buy the base model and upgrade it as you see fit. My 300 loaded with scope and bipod weighed in at 19lbs. Not something I would want to hump around on a long hunt

Another McRee user. A bit heavy to carry probably, but a great drop in with no shift in zero. I have swapped barreled actions and never had to resero.

I do love my XLR chassis so much that I have several. I do understand that several people do not like the round handguard and mounting their scopes higher because of it. Also some people complain of having to cut their 1 piece rails to fit. If those are some of your complaints you could look into their new Element chassis.

If I were looking for a chassis for a hunting rig, I would most likely pick an XLR carbon, or the new X-Ray from KRG. Both seem to be on the lighter end of the chassis systems available.

Here is the designated crappy picture from my cellular device:

20140330_121616_zpsfc16900b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm interested in this thread as well. I currently have a MK13 clone and I'm considering it for a fall backpack hunt. With the S&B 5-25 it's a pig. The AICS 2.0 is right at 6.0lbs, plus I have the Badger IMUNS which adds another 12 ounces. Sy my current chassis is right around 6 3/4 lbs. I'm considering going with a X-ray or maybe a Mirage ULR. These chassis are in the 3-4lb range and it would be awesome to shave off 3-4 lbs on the chassis alone. If I switch my glass I can save another pound. Opinions would be appreciated. I'm also realizing I don't like thumbhole stocks….

Last edited:
Ashbury Saber Chassis.

I have used this personally and we also use them on our rifles in the shop. The MOD-1 is a little pricey due the the folding stock and push button adjustments. The MOD-0 is a good balance and is still fully adjustable. You can also change the grip angle and LOP for your trigger finger.

-Eric Hendricks
Bergara Custom Rifles

Chassis systems are heavy. I would go with a manners mini-chassis with a traditional grip, such as a T1 or T3. Use a stock pack to get the correct check weld height and save on weight. Carbon fiber options add some to the cost but would save even more weight. They come with a magazine and are drop in, ready to rock, and are spec'd out to your preference and color.

If I had the patience of a saint, I would again go with a JAE-700. I had a JAE on my M14 and really miss it. Heavy? Certainly. Built like a tank and accurate as hell? Yep.

I have looked at the AICS but I don't like the way the skins match up.

What do you mean by "match up"? I cannot wait to get my new build into the AICS 1.5 I picked up. Added the adjustable butt and a couple spacers, and it is quite comfortable. Didn't feel the need to drop a couple hundred (or a few hundred) for folding or a pointless rail system that I'd never use. If in the future I want to go and swap out the skins for a pistol grip, that option is there too.

In any event, if an AICS is still on your radar, get the cheap version and do the individual upgrades to fit you. Unless you reeeeaaaaally feel the need for a rail on a bolt gun and the ability to fold it.

Last edited:
The seams on the skins can have a sharp edge. some light grit sand paper helps. for me its very noticeable on the trigger guard and is a bit of a distraction

The seams on the skins can have a sharp edge. some light grit sand paper helps. for me its very noticeable on the trigger guard and is a bit of a distraction

I agree that it's a "distraction". When I got my AICS 2.0 I was a bit disappointed with the skins. Super nice chassis but the skins not meet up perfectly and it's annoying and cheap feeling. I'm looking to get something else as a replacement.

I agree that it's a "distraction". When I got my AICS 2.0 I was a bit disappointed with the skins. Super nice chassis but the skins didn't meet up perfectly and it's annoying and cheap feeling. I'm looking to get something else as a replacement.

Last edited:
I agree that it's a "distraction". When I got my AICS 2.0 I was a bit disappointed with the skins. Super nice chassis but the skins not meet up perfectly and it's annoying and cheap feeling. I'm looking to get something else as a replacement.

My thoughts as well. I like the way it looks buy for what you pay, I have seen too many skins that don't match up well.

This is what's takes me to the whiskey 3.

Chassis systems are heavy. I would go with a manners mini-chassis with a traditional grip, such as a T1 or T3. Use a stock pack to get the correct check weld height and save on weight. Carbon fiber options add some to the cost but would save even more weight. They come with a magazine and are drop in, ready to rock, and are spec'd out to your preference and color.

The manner mini chassis was on my radar. I just can't find one. Do you know where they can be order with a shorter lead time? Everything I see says 6 months to a year.

The manner mini chassis was on my radar. I just can't find one. Do you know where they can be order with a shorter lead time? Everything I see says 6 months to a year.
Keep checking the classifieds here.
Check Stocky's Stocks.
Check Manners ready to ship page.
Check Bullets.com
Order your own and wait about 4-6 months (that's what most people do).

If I had the patience of a saint, I would again go with a JAE-700. I had a JAE on my M14 and really miss it. Heavy? Certainly. Built like a tank and accurate as hell? Yep.

I concur but do have 2 JAE on order and will temp the new Stiller Spectre in a Manners with mini chasis that I will order next week

What do you mean by "match up"? I cannot wait to get my new build into the AICS 1.5 I picked up. Added the adjustable butt and a couple spacers, and it is quite comfortable. Didn't feel the need to drop a couple hundred (or a few hundred) for folding or a pointless rail system that I'd never use. If in the future I want to go and swap out the skins for a pistol grip, that option is there too.

In any event, if an AICS is still on your radar, get the cheap version and do the individual upgrades to fit you. Unless you reeeeaaaaally feel the need for a rail on a bolt gun and the ability to fold it.

Clean a rifle in a AICS with a nonfolding and one with a folding. You'll wish you had spent the cash for the folder. With the fixed stock and cheek piece removed you still drag your knuckles over the butt spacers and the cutout in the skins for the cheek piece and you will lose skin, guaranteed.

The fixed stock also means you either need to carry a hex key at all times in case you need to remove it or use the thumb screws which suck. You can't get them tight enough by with your fingers and they're constantly loosening, next thing you know your cheek piece is missing. With the folding stock you can use the Allen screws and tighten the hell out of them and not need a wrench in case you need to remove the bolt for whatever reason.

Folding the stock around is also extremely nice to reduce a few inches for transportation. Even with a 26" barrel it will fit in a carbine length case which fits much better in trunks than a 50" case. You can also run a long barrel with a can and still fit it in a 50" case without removing the can.

Those are all benefits to the folder, I can't think of one single benefit to the fixed version except it might weigh a few ounces less. Is it worth the extra $200? Every last dime of it.

Those are all benefits to the folder, I can't think of one single benefit to the fixed version except it might weigh a few ounces less. Is it worth the extra $200? Every last dime of it.

Rather take that $200, get an Otis kit and spend the rest on ammo. I imagine you don't pack your full-length cleaning rod into the field with you, and if you do what issue would there be having a hex key along with it? But again, had I the patience and desire to toss money into a product with no reasonable delivery time, I'd be rocking another JAE.

Last edited:
Folding the stock around is also extremely nice to reduce a few inches for transportation. Even with a 26" barrel it will fit in a carbine length case which fits much better in trunks than a 50" case. You can also run a long barrel with a can and still fit it in a 50" case without removing the can.

Plus one. I used the XLR Carbon on a hunt last year in Nebraska. Went with it because of the weight reduction and the folding capabilities. can't say how nice it was having a more compact package riding around in the truck. Easy to just hop out and pop the stock into place, and extremely solid.

I know you said you weren't looking at XLR, but when hunting, the weight of a chassis can get to you, thats why I went with the XLR carbon. Now my rifle is at Krieger getting a 22' barrel and truing. it will be lighter and outshoot my skills anyday. My "perfect" hunting and target setup. ; )

Trevor B.

Plus one. I used the XLR Carbon on a hunt last year in Nebraska. Went with it because of the weight reduction and the folding capabilities. can't say how nice it was having a more compact package riding around in the truck. Easy to just hop out and pop the stock into place, and extremely solid.

I know you said you weren't looking at XLR, but when hunting, the weight of a chassis can get to you, thats why I went with the XLR carbon. Now my rifle is at Krieger getting a 22' barrel and truing. it will be lighter and outshoot my skills anyday. My "perfect" hunting and target setup. ; )

Trevor B.

Trevor,
What barrel contour are you running in the XLR Carbon Folder? Do you know the weight of your setup? What caliber?

Rather take that $200, get an Otis kit and spend the rest on ammo. I imagine you don't pack your full-length cleaning rod into the field with you, and if you do what issue would there be having a hex key along with it? But again, had I the patience and desire to toss money into a product with no reasonable delivery time, I'd be rocking another JAE.

Like I said, the first time you clean it you will be wishing you spent the extra money. It's $200, it's not lot of money. I just paid $400 for the folding option on my AT and I would have done it if it cost twice that because it's worth it. Once you have the folder you won't have it any other way.

Like I said, the first time you clean it you will be wishing you spent the extra money. It's $200, it's not lot of money. I just paid $400 for the folding option on my AT and I would have done it if it cost twice that because it's worth it. Once you have the folder you won't have it any other way.

Very true. I've had a Cadex, AICS and latest was a Manner's folder. There's no going back.
The TF2 from Manners has been by far the best stock I have had my hands on, that being said the Whisky 3 is high on my list as well as the XLR carbon

Trevor,
What barrel contour are you running in the XLR Carbon Folder? Do you know the weight of your setup? What caliber?

When I carried the rifle on my hunt it was a stock 700 action and 26'' barrel with a vortex 4-16x44, weight came to 10.9#s.

I'm doing the #14 heavy Palma in a 22'' 300WM setup, fluted.

Total weight should be right at 10#s. Which I dont mind for its versatility to work in both fields (Hunt/Target), have the folding stock, chassis benefits, target barrel, and a little weight makes a 300WM feel like a 308. Scope will be a Leupold MK6 3-18x. Only 11'' long and 23.5 oz ish?

Not my mountain rifle, but for many hunts and target, I'm going to love it (fingers crossed).

Trevor B.

When I carried the rifle on my hunt it was a stock 700 action and 26'' barrel with a vortex 4-16x44, weight came to 10.9#s.

I'm doing the #14 heavy Palma in a 22'' 300WM setup, fluted.

Total weight should be right at 10#s. Which I dont mind for its versatility to work in both fields (Hunt/Target), have the folding stock, chassis benefits, target barrel, and a little weight makes a 300WM feel like a 308. Scope will be a Leupold MK6 3-18x. Only 11'' long and 23.5 oz ish?

Not my mountain rifle, but for many hunts and target, I'm going to love it (fingers crossed).

Trevor B.

Thanks Trevor! This is great info to know. My MK13 clone with a S&B 5-25 weights in at 16.2 lbs. I need something lighter for hunting.

I agree that it's a "distraction". When I got my AICS 2.0 I was a bit disappointed with the skins. Super nice chassis but the skins didn't meet up perfectly and it's annoying and cheap feeling. I'm looking to get something else as a replacement.

I got my hands on a chassis with viper skins for the AI. Loved the feel. They are a huge improvement over the AI skins.

I would love to put one on order and ride it out. The $400 downpayment for such an outrageous lead time is what keeps me from doing so.

The wait is not something I would have preferred, however the JAE is the chassis that I decided I wanted.
I did not enjoy any part of the wait, but once I received my order it is absolutely the best chassis I have ever put my hands on.
It has the whole package; looks, ergonomics and performance.

I filled the time I had to wait by getting a mid-range stock and enjoyed shooting while I waited.
Now that I have it, I'm ecstatic. I intend on passing it on to my son when I can no longer use it.

All I can say is if you want it, it is worth the wait. And it was a long wait.