• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of a 308

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    So, most of my shooting is done at 2 matches... and then practicing for those matches.
    match 1: 50-500 yards.
    match 2: 400-1015 yards

I’ve used a 223, grendel and my 6.5 bolt gun at match one.. all we’re fine. The semi auto 223 was beast, except when gusts of wind came through. Also did well with my 6.5

Match 2, strictly my 6.5 bolt gun.

ive been wanting a 308 for match 1, more energy than the 223 And still very cheap to load for. I have 600 pieces of brass, 200-250 168gr bullets, 8# of H4895.... But I’m feeling like since I have the 223 and the 6.5, the 308 is kind of left without a home.

my friend, whom is a smith, has a 308 long action he built, said he would sell it to me for $700. In a stockys stock, trued action, shilen barrel. Less than 500 rounds fired. Has some kind of switch lug on the barrel, expensive ass bottom metal (don’t recall brand)

he wants $700 for me.... ugh!
    Do I buy the rifle and go 7 saum and scrap the 308 idea... or what?

i'd argue that practicing with a .308 can make you better with everything else that recoils less.
    you also have to be better at reading wind with a smaller margin for error.
    it covers up nothing and exposes everything.
    plus everyone should own a .308 in case everything goes to hell and you have to scavenge ammo. jmo.

i'd argue that practicing with a .308 can make you better with everything else that recoils less.
    plus everyone should own a .308 in case everything goes to hell and you have to scavenge ammo. jmo.
    I agree.
    That’s about the only reason I agree with having a 308, which makes me want to grab a cheaper rifle, ruger American predator and put it up.
    I know if I get this long action, the 7saum and new glass will be close behind.
    05763E99-F35D-4F0A-A130-A60A2FF128B4.jpeg

Reactions: Jgunner
    Nothing wrong with a .308. Good barrel life, great round, all the benefits listed above.

All these low recoil rounds, it's a little bit... bullshit... heavy rifles, brakes, shit there aren't even many slung positions in the comps anymore it seems. Learn to drive the rifle, that's half the fun.... there's a difference between having skill and placing in a competition. BUt I say that as someone who wouldn't have a chance at placing in a competition because I don't carry by bedding around with me....

Reactions: XP1K
    No.

You should buy a .308. Everyone should have a .308.

Get a .308. Because, well, otherwise we will make ruthless fun of you for not having a .308.

That's all I have to say about that.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. You come to the Bear Pit with that question and think we are NOT going to tell you you need a .308? Well, we'd do that in Bolt Action, too. Because you need a .308. Everyone needs a .308. My cats each have a .308!

I have three 308’s and really they’re my go to hunting rifles on my property. I believe 308 fills a very good niche for hunting and medium range for my applications. If you reload, 308 is a dream to reload.

Look at the shelves right now. 308 as well as all other "common" calibers have been sold out for months. 9mm, 5.56 and 308. I can still buy as much 6.5 as I want. I agree everyone should own a 308 but the logic of scavenging ammo doesn't hold up in the real world. Those ammos are the first to sell out.

Reactions: jphil108
    You know, .308 would be a GREAT name for a cat... I already have two... but like rifles, you can never have too many...

Just out of curiosity why would a long action be chambered for 308?
    1) Savage. Cause Savage.
    2) Army hoping a manly generation will come along to handle win mag.
    3) parts on hand so let's do something that doesn't make sense.

The stock works well, the (looks like r700) action sucks compared to others and some shilen barrels are exacto-deathrays.
    If I had a scope or willing to buy a scope I'd be tempted for $700. May be the best pussy you ever get!

• Haha
    Reactions: Redmanss
    I started on 6.5 CM and I'm not interested in 308...it's a great round and is superseded now IMO. Soon, 6.5 CM will be the Dog. Me? I'm lusting for .338 but need to go be poor somewhere else.

VooDoo

• Haha
    Reactions: Zorrosdens
    Look at the shelves right now. 308 as well as all other "common" calibers have been sold out for months. 9mm, 5.56 and 308. I can still buy as much 6.5 as I want. I agree everyone should own a 308 but the logic of scavenging ammo doesn't hold up in the real world. Those ammos are the first to sell out.
    when i say everything goes to hell and you might need to scavenge, i don't mean from your local gun store or favorite online retailer.
    i mean going house to house or farm house to farm house looking for supplies. you'll find all that sold out ammo in those places if SHTF.

Scavenging Ammo doesn’t have anything to do with going to the store to find it.;)

when i say everything goes to hell and you might need to scavenge, i don't mean from your local gun store or favorite online retailer.
    i mean going house to house or farm house to farm house looking for supplies. you'll find all that sold out ammo in those places if SHTF.
    Beat me by a second. :p

So, most of my shooting is done at 2 matches... and then practicing for those matches.
    match 1: 50-500 yards.
    match 2: 400-1015 yards

I’ve used a 223, grendel and my 6.5 bolt gun at match one.. all we’re fine. The semi auto 223 was beast, except when gusts of wind came through. Also did well with my 6.5

Match 2, strictly my 6.5 bolt gun.

ive been wanting a 308 for match 1, more energy than the 223 And still very cheap to load for. I have 600 pieces of brass, 200-250 168gr bullets, 8# of H4895.... But I’m feeling like since I have the 223 and the 6.5, the 308 is kind of left without a home.

my friend, whom is a smith, has a 308 long action he built, said he would sell it to me for $700. In a stockys stock, trued action, shilen barrel. Less than 500 rounds fired. Has some kind of switch lug on the barrel, expensive ass bottom metal (don’t recall brand)

he wants $700 for me.... ugh!
    Do I buy the rifle and go 7 saum and scrap the 308 idea... or what?

He comes to this site and doesnt have a 308!!!

1590539863279.png

1590539830989.png

I dunno Creeky.

I have had more than 1 700 that kept up with my CTR accuracy wise.
    Including a factory LTR.

but the Tikka actions are much nicer!

I shoot F T/R with a 308. I have something like eight 308s. I know I run 200 grain Berger Hybrids @ 2550 fps. The thing shoots lights out. I run LRP Lapua Brass, I get ten reloads per case. Some guys are running SRP Lapua and are @ 2600-2650 fps with 200 grain Bergers. It’s pretty impressive, run the numbers and see how far it goes before going sub-sonic. All around if my life depended on one gun, one caliber. I leave with a 308!
    Oh one last thing, my avatar is a five shot group @ 200 yards from my 308 tactical gun. It has actually shot a .180” five shot group @ 200 yards. 308 all the way👍

Last edited:
    I think imma go budget minded on this one. I was going to get a PSA upper for a lower I have but imma just get a ruger American hunter 16”, change the bolt handle and be done with it.

But .308 is so 1995...

And I have three of them. And a couple barrels. And a couple receivers that will get .308 barrels eventually too. And I have my eye on a couple more .308s...

Isn’t it funny everyone says they have a “6.5”, and leave out the Creedmoor after it? Admit it fuckers, you drank the Creed Cream and you liked it, it’s 2020 and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Just buy the .308, a trued R700 receiver alone runs $700.

He did it to allow longer bullet seating and he has all the stuff for 300wm, so he can easily swap barrels and shoot both.
    How would they work, given that a .308 has a .473 bolt face and a .300 win mag has a .532 bolt face? I may be wrong or should look it up, but I don’t think they share a bolt face! Maybe someone can correct me.

I suppose you could have 2 bolts, but that is not economic given the PITA of changing barrels on that platform.

Seems odd.

regardless, buy a .308!

Sirhr

How would they work, given that a .308 has a .473 bolt face and a .300 win mag has a .532 bolt face? I may be wrong or should look it up, but I don’t think they share a bolt face! Maybe someone can correct me.

I suppose you could have 2 bolts, but that is not economic given the PITA of changing barrels on that platform.

Seems odd.

regardless, buy a .308!

Sirhr
    Two bolts.
    Many do same on SA.

R

I’ll never own a .308, I don’t care for .308s. I’ve owned them they perform fine. I didn’t come to precision shooting through the military or tactical shooting. I’m a precision hunter that came through the side door. I think .308s are anemic. Too much recoil, too little performance. Serviceable at everything, good at nothing. If I have to scavenge ammo off of dead combatants, I can probably just pick up the rifle, too. Doesn’t seem like there’ll be a shortage. That said, I agree with all the other posters in this thread, if you don’t get it, you like soccer.

• Wow
    Reactions: Steel+Killer
    I was tickling steel with my 18” 308 the other day after shooting my 6.5 SLR you really have to pay attention to the wind. Not a bad thing

It's a long action? Buy it and make it what it truly wants to be....a 30-06. Then you won't have to worry about flinging 200gr bullets at walking speed. Then you can fling 190s above 2800fps and laugh at 1300yds instead of being like the little engine that could.

Scavenging Ammo doesn’t have anything to do with going to the store to find it.;)
    I know some people that have bought thousands of rounds a year since the 70's.
    Stuff is like vintage wine when you open the can.
    It's nothing to see 100k rounds of 7.62 stored in homes around here

Reactions: theLBC and Maggot