• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of a folder

Hawkeyemm

Private
Minuteman
  • Apr 30, 2013
    Kansas
    This would be my first bolt action precision rifle. Looking for opinions on a folding chassis or rigid. Specifically an MPA. Does the hinge actually handicap the accuracy of a rifle with regards to stiffness?

Doubtful. It tends to extend the LOP, but I'm sure it's plenty strong to withstand the forces of recoil.
    Thanks Minnesota. I didn’t mean to imply it wouldn’t withstand recoil. Rather, if there might be enough play as to affect shot mechanics. I know it’s a $100 upgrade but it seems that I see a surprisingly small number of folders.

My experience has been they all get a little play in them at some point. It’s probably just a matter of time. Mpa could be the exception but there’s only one way for you to find out for sure. Congratulations on your build and good luck 👍

I bought a folder (MDT ACC) but mainly because I wanted to be able to shorten the rifle for transport and bags and if I decide to carry it longer distances.

Looking at the mechanics, I would doubt it would develop any play unless it was seriously abused (more so than run of the mill abuse).

This would be my first bolt action precision rifle. Looking for opinions on a folding chassis or rigid. Specifically an MPA. Does the hinge actually handicap the accuracy of a rifle with regards to stiffness?

If a given chassis system (or rifle) is produced with folding and non-folding variants always buy the folder. There is absolutely no compromise to precision potential of the rifle because of the folding feature. If you decide to sell, you have a larger market since most prefer folders to fixed stocks.

The caveat is that the manufacturer in question is a competent maker of chassis systems. MPA (what you’re considering), AI, MDT, Barrett, Cadex are a just few such manufacturers.

Last edited:
    Once you go folder, you never go back. ...providing you buy from a quality manufacturer...and don’t move to a place that has stupid laws that prohibit folders.

No data on my end to suggest this has any perceivable impact on accuracy. I have 2x folders (KRG and AI), both are super tight lock ups. I do admit, traveling/storing them are more pleasant than the full length stocks.

If the folding mechanism and hinge have enough play in them to hurt accuracy then you have a problem that should have been addressed long before that point.

Reactions: jcmullis2
    From what those who own them are saying you have nothing to worry about. The owners of fixed chassis are just hating on the guys who have folders. The engineers probably figured out a design to prevent the problem. I’ll find out soon enough because I’m expecting a Krg Whiskey 3 folder in a couple of days. I sure hope you guys are right 😂

Probably the lightest of all the chassis listed in this thread is the XLR Carbon folder I'm using and there is nothing flimsy about it and locks up tight when properly adjusted.

My experience has been they all get a little play in them at some point. It’s probably just a matter of time. Mpa could be the exception but there’s only one way for you to find out for sure. Congratulations on your build and good luck 👍
    Thanks for the sentiment. I’ve got the scope. Bipod on the way. Now all I have to do is settle on a caliber, choose an action, determine what barrel to go with, and wait for the reloading fairy to magically leave some reloading components under my pillow.

I bought a folder (MDT ACC) but mainly because I wanted to be able to shorten the rifle for transport and bags and if I decide to carry it longer distances.

Looking at the mechanics, I would doubt it would develop any play unless it was seriously abused (more so than run of the mill abuse).
    If a given chassis system (or rifle) is produced with folding and non-folding variants always buy the folder. There is absolutely no compromise to precision potential of the rifle because of the folding feature. If you decide to sell, you have a larger market since most prefer folders to fixed stocks.

The caveat is that the manufacturer in question is a competent maker of chassis systems. MPA (what you’re considering), AI, MTD, Barrett, Cadex are a just few such manufacturers.
    Once you go folder, you never go back. ...providing you buy from a quality manufacturer...and don’t move to a place that has stupid laws that prohibit folders.
    If the folding mechanism and hinge have enough play in them to hurt accuracy then you have a problem that should have been addressed long before that point.
    And thanks to everyone for all the input. I was pretty sure I wanted a folder and you guys settled it. I still would like to get behind a few different chassis before I purchase but at least my fears about a folder have been assuaged.

I had an AICS chassis that was a folder. I am building a new rifle and folder is now on the dealbreaker list. Sure is nice esp. when running a 9 inch can......

Reactions: jcmullis2
    X2 on the MDT ACC. I have one and when it locks up it locks very solid, no play. It also locks folded so there is no flopping or movement there either. I like that it folds to the bolt side to minimize thickness when storing in a hard case..

Reactions: straightandtrue
    The MPA folder locks up pretty good. The only drawback for me is the hinge digs into my chest when I have it slung in front.

Cleaning alone makes a folder worth it. I think they’re all about nice in their own ways. Many different systems out there. Similar premise on most. KRG has a rather different approach which I like quite well. Has not caused me any accuracy issues. Some systems are tighter than others.

Reactions: Holliday
    I have 3 folders and 2 non-folders in the MPAs. No detriment to accuracy as mentioned already, but I have to say MPA really doesn't have the best folder out there. Definitely better than XLR but the AI folder mechanisms are simply the best that I've used.
    Can you tell me, specifically, what you don’t like about the MPA folder?
    Thanks

Can’t talk you out of one unless add’l cost is a deal breaker. They are functionally versatile for transport and cleaning.

The Gen 2 XLR folder can be adjusted to lock up tight. The KRG W3 folder locks up better than the XLR, but the hinge protrudes more.

Glad I came across this. Was in between myself, only folder type being my MPX and an AR. Happy to see it's not just a hyped feature.

What is your favorite reason to use the folding feature? Or when do you use it most?

I went fixed on my AI AT. Figured if I was gonna pay that much for the left side folder I’d be better off buying the AX right side folder and swapping. That hinge was over $500 more for me.

For my MPA chassis I went with the folder. So much easier when cleaning. Don’t have to touch the cheek piece to remove the bolt or run a rod in. Can use my 46” drag bag vs the 52” when transporting. This makes things a lot more convenient. Completely worth it.

Reactions: straightandtrue
    What is your favorite reason to use the folding feature? Or when do you use it most?
    It just makes cleaning, bore (obstruction) checks, bolt removal, storage, and transport much easier/user friendly. Is it needed? No. But it’s one of those things that once you use, it will become a requirement on wish lists for future purchases lol.

Its passable but the hinge screw can loosen and develop play in the hinge when you're not paying attention. The new version eliminates the springing release button. It's much better. But it also relies on a set screw to eliminate play in the hinge when it wears. You back it out to close the gap. It will eventually eat into the soft aluminum of the chassis and develop play again. And then you'll back it out some more. And so on. Worst case your stock will be slightly cattywompus.
    I wonder if MPA warranties such things as that. Perhaps I should drop them a line.

Resized_20200501_132509.jpeg

Love mine, it adds a little more weight, but i love how compact it can be

Folder is worth the extra money, the ease of cleaning without adjusting your cheekpiece is an awesome added bonus.

Reactions: n2stcks
    Go with the folder. And like others have said, they’re worth it . Mine fits in a standard AR case

Last edited:
    I have an MDT ESS rigid and my friend has the same chassis in a folder. I’ve shot them side by side and can’t tell any difference in the mechanics or rigidity. Any good chassis manufacturer would make sure that their folder is extremely rigid otherwise it would negate one of the biggest advantages of a chassis in the first place. For me it was just a matter of cost.

Barrett MRAD has a folding stock that locks up like a bank vault. No adverse impact on accuracy, precision. Chosen by USSOCOM for their new ASR as MK22. Shortens overall length for packing around, reducing case size, weight. Folds right side locking, protecting bolt handle from hard knocks, and essentially doesn't increase overall width folded. Extended serves all positives of a fixed stock. Love all of mine. Know of, but not familiar with MPA folder. Phil builds good stuff. Would expect it to be first class, as MRAD.