• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Talk me out of a Leupold VX-6 HD 2-12x42 TMOA

SolidCopper

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 8, 2018
Looking at at lighter-weight scopes. I can get a hold of one of these for around $1200. I'm not sure I can do better for the price. This scope will go on a 600ish yard hunting/all around rifle. I'm not sure I can do a 12x scope of this quality with illuminated reticle, at this weight, for better than this price. What am I missing?

I use the 3-18x50 version on my hunting rifles and love it. I like have the slightly higher magnification, but at that price I’d buy that one

Reactions: SolidCopper
I’m a big fan of all around rifles. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. That said, you have make a list of most used purposes and go from there. How would the rifle get the most use?

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of all around rifles. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. That said, you have make a list of of most used purposes and go from there. How would the rifle get the most use?
Considering the rarity of >200yd ranges in my area, it would be targets out to 200 and hunting, hence my not prioritizing greater magnification.

Do it.
The VX6hd is a fantastic scope and the 2-12 is a fantastic magnification range for a hunting scope.

I have appreciated Trijicon Accupoints for hunting. But the 2.5-12 is 22 ounces. Cheaper, but heavier. I think the Leupold is a solid choice. When it comes to weight, it or the Swarovski scopes are going to be tough to beat.

Considering the rarity of >200yd ranges in my area, it would be targets out to 200 and hunting, hence my not prioritizing greater magnification.
In that case also consider the Meopta Meostar's in either 1.7-10x42, 2-12x50 or 2.5-15x56. All of these are on sale with us at the moment betweem $1,049.99 and $1,199.99

I’ve run the 2-12 vx6 last couple years on my mountain rifle. Very happy. Lots of good features. I would do it again

Looking at at lighter-weight scopes. I can get a hold of one of these for around $1200. I'm not sure I can do better for the price. This scope will go on a 600ish yard hunting/all around rifle. I'm not sure I can do a 12x scope of this quality with illuminated reticle, at this weight, for better than this price. What am I missing?

OP, what did you end up deciding? Did you get it?

I have not yet made my purchase but I have decided to go with the above mentioned Leupold.

Reactions: Rebels010
Have you tried the Leupold VX-6 HD 1-6? I have this optic and its absolutely amazing! (light, illumination, crystal clear, size ok, 1-6 power) I think this is all you need for your intended use. If you are mostly shooting at less than 200 yrds, higher magnification is a waste. The 1-6 can get you out to 500-600 yrds!!!

I have not yet made my purchase but I have decided to go with the above mentioned Leupold.

Nice. Let us know how it goes. They are discontinuing some of their reticle choices for it and I noticed a few places you could get one under $1200, assuming you like that reticle. Interested to hear what you think. A 2-12 scope is extremely versatile.

Nice. Let us know how it goes. They are discontinuing some of their reticle choices for it and I noticed a few places you could get one under $1200, assuming you like that reticle. Interested to hear what you think. A 2-12 scope is extremely versatile.

Looks like they are just keeping the Firedot duplex and Tmoa, which are the only two I'd want to buy personally.
Wish they still did the Firedot Windplex.

Quite frankly, I missed the fact that the 2-12 lacks a parallax adjustment. I would prefer to have the adjustment. I may have to go 3-18 to get it or go with. Nightforce NSX 2.5-10 to keep the weight down. Pricey, those...

Again, I profoundly appreciate all of the feedback you guys have provided. Thank you.

"Mar 10, 2019
Quite frankly, I missed the fact that the 2-12 lacks a parallax adjustment. I would prefer to have the adjustment. I may have to go 3-18 to get it or go with. Nightforce NSX 2.5-10 to keep the weight down."

Yup, my opinion also. I got a 3-18x42 tmoa for about $1350. If I could get the 2-12 for ~$1000 I might consider - dunno. I can't help but think you need parallax for out to 300 yds.