• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Talk me out of using Warne bases & rings.

Ranger413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
SE Georgia - USA
I'm currently putting together the gear needed to outfit a Savage 10FP that I'm getting soon from a friend. I already have a scope - SWFA SS 5-20X - that'll top it off once they start filling their backorders. So . . . .

I'm completely sold on the Warne Maxima bases and rings. Stout, nice and solid attachment, and no ring marks once you remove the scope. Sold, so much so that all three of my T/C Encore barrels and one of my son's G2 barrels have Warne stuff. I also have a customized Savage 338-06 that uses the same set-up. But, I have on hand a set of Badger Ordnance rings that I had used on my M1A EBR and are now collecting dust.

Question is, would I be better off to stick with the Warne stuff that I know and love. Or, is there some compelling reason to go with Badger stuff? It'd be about the same price either way. If I go Warne I'll sell the Badger rings. If I go with the Badger set-up I'll just need to pick up the base to match.

Thoughts guys?

Re: Talk me out of using Warne bases & rings.

I like and use the Warne QD Maxima rings. The QDs are the quick detachable models. The important part of using the Warne rings is to install them correctly which is somewhat different from horizontally split rings.

The two halves must be in full contact and correctly torqued using the four screws between the scope and the base with the scope loose but in place and before mounting them on the rail. Then the rings are placed on the Picatinny (or compatable) base with the top screws still loose. Each ring is pushed forward so the crossbolt is in contact with the edge of the chosen slot and the levers are clamped. Then the scope is ajusted for fore/aft and rotation position. Then the top screws are torqued to spec.

I've never had a scope slip or lose zero using Warne rings even when the scope is detached and remounted. I've never had a Warne QD come loose by accident. The steel rings are my choice on heavy recoil bolt actions up to 338-378 Wby and 50 BMG, but I also like the Warne "ultra high" aluminum rings for AR-10s and AR-15s.

Why QD? In my 30+ years of shooting the only scope damage I've had was when transporting with scopes attached to the rifles. Now I transport scopes in separate padded bags. The other reason for detachables is to switch between day and night scopes. It only takes seconds and both scopes retain zero.

Well machined Picatinny rails and proper mounting of the rail to the rifle by bedding or lapping is important with any rings.
I have rifles with Nightforce, IOR, NEAR, Farrell, and EGW bases mostly chosen for the rifle, height, and wedge. I don't have a favorite.

I am also an avid Warne guy, I like the Maxima permanent rings and also have a QD set for my scout rifle. Rock solid, sleek, and as you have stated "no ring marks". Nothing against Badger rings, but me and my rifle are not fast roping out of a helo, so I see no need for a heavy bulky rings (the Warnes are quality solid rings ).

i have used plenty of warne rings and bases. they work just fine.

but i only use the all steel ones.

Nightforce ulta Lite rings with TI lugs and thier 1913 spec 1 piece base is my suggestion......

Badger rings and base, and if you can't get them just throw rocks. Marty makes dependable stuff and stands behind it.

Nothing wrong with Warne rings. They are not a "cheap alternative" scope ring. Even though the price is lower, they are not cheap. They are priced fair, and are very well built. The tactical series rings are built like a tank. Ive never seen another ring as heavy duty.

Companies charging $150 for a set of rings should be put in prison for raping people. Rings do not have any moving parts and are not that expensive to produce, especially when they are mass produced.

I think the first reply is sound advice. I don't see any reason not to go Warne. Now I just have to decide which ones - TPA, QD, or tactical.