• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Talk to me about muzzle brakes.

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
My remmy 700 slings a big old .300 win mag bullet and kicks pretty hard. I understand a muzzle brake will reduce recoil significantly. Unfortunately, thats about all i know on the subject.

Will the APA fat bastard brake work well for my application or do i not need something that big? My rifle has a sendero contour barrel.

Can i have the barrel threaded for a brake, and then take the brake on and off as i please, or will it have to be torqued correctly and then stay on the barrel?

Re: Talk to me about muzzle brakes.

thanks for the links. i guess i should just head over to the local gun smith and talk to him about it?

Give Jered a call 706-534-1577. He'd be glad to answer any of your questions. You may be able to use the LB instead of the FB.

I have to take my brake off during cleaning (I have a Vais).
http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
He threaded the barrel and did the brake to match it. They work well. Vais has the holes all the way around, so when shooting prone, I have to throw down something on the ground to avoid the dust kick-up.

I havent used this one, but it looks very good, like all his products..
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52

You will notice the difference.

THE best brake out there is a tubb brake,,,i personally use a vias on all my boolit launchers , of course when my young kiddos want to shoot the .300wm, i screw on the shark suppressor, that way they don't have to wear hearing protection.

I have a brake on my 338LM and it recoils less then my 308 with 175s, I also have one on a 6.5x47 and it recoils like a 204, I love them however you have to be aware of your suroundings when shooting. I often have to tell people that are around the shooting bench to put their ears on or stand back. Muzzle breaks are ear spliting loud do not touch one off with out protection. Mine are threaded and screw right on and off, you could have a thread protector made for shooting without a brake wich would be nice to have. APA, Holland, ect make great breaks.

Centershot muscle brakes reduce recoil and are not much louder. I would go muscle brake