• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Talk to me about the USO Spotting Scope

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Was looking for a spotter and this was in the budget I had for one; I haven't heard a lot about it as either most people end up with a Leupold Mk4 or something else.

Any cons to this versus the Leupold, or any other spotter in this range? I'm partial to the USO as I would like to utilize its MOA reticle rather than a mildot.

Thanks

Re: Talk to me about the USO Spotting Scope

It's crappy as a spotter, but fantastic is a field scope, and all that it implies. It was designed to be beaten and abused but a grunt in the field. It gives up optics, resolution, etc. in order to perform admirably as a durable, reliable field scope. It is not the same as a spotter designed to see holes at 500 yards, and you should consider that when looking at it. What are your needs? If you think you might need to beat someones head in with it, or javelin it from your deer stand through the head of an unsuspecting buck, this might be the scope for you.

I think that if im in a position where I need to use my spotting scope as a weapon, i have bigger issues.

As I said, my main draw to it was that it had MOA reticle options and USO is quality, however I wanted something that could be a field scope with a decent FOV yet also be able to see hits/holes. Im mainly shooting at steel at anything over 400 yards, so that may not be an issue if I or whoever is spotting can see the hits on steel. My other intention was to go out with a friend of mine who likes to coach wind and watch, and have him and I estimate distance with the reticle and compare notes.

What other (better?) options are there with a MOA reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-hd-30x-wide-angle-eyepiece-with%20moa-ranging%20reticle </div></div>

My google fu turned that up as well, but unless Im misunderstanding how that works, I would have to buy that part in addition to the 1700$ razor spotter. Or am I wrong?

Also, what ruck is that guy wearing? Looks interesting.

I have a USO field scope and while I like it and it works well as a ranging scope it definitely doesn't have the optics quality of their scopes or for that matter some other true spotting scopes.

I keep going back and forth as to if I should sell mine and go for a better spotter but I have to admit that I like having the same reticle in the USO field scope as I have in my SN-3.

Can you direct me to where there are vortex hd spotters for $999?

I had one. I liked it other than the fact the field of view was horrible. I got rid of it in favor of a regular spotter. I think the guy I sold it to said the same thing and he put it up for sale.

The FOV is probably directly related to extremely long eye-relief of this scope. It was designed for military service, and the user might be wearing a gas mask.

I think USO just made some recent changes to the spotter. Supposed to have a better FOV and see better than the previous version.