• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk to me, Goose..

Quietguy88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2021
USA
Alright.. I have a mega arms maten mkm receiver set. Their proprietary upper/handguard. With the ambi bolt release. Got it years ago. Been through a few iterations.. the whole time a criterion hybrid m118lr 18" rifle gas nitrided barrel has been hung. Once, it sported a Magpul moe a2 stock and a slash 10oz buffer/ea1095 armalite spring. Now it has a fcd re5f.. a decent a5 receiver extension, kynshot 5oz hydraulic buffer and the same ea1095 rifle spring.

I have run about 4000 rounds through the tube. Sitting on a few thousand more ggg m80. A handful of cases..

So.. I am thinking about converting three or so thousand 7.62nato GGG m80 cases into that six five needs more.. swage the primer pockets(mighty armory?), use 21st century flash hole and neck turning equipment. Sport a fancy tactical brass recovery catcher.

Thinking a custom tapered barrel. Likely a 20" barrel with a +2gas. 3" distal the barrel extension, taper from 1.25" down to .875" prior gas block. From there, become proud, using a .936" superlative arms clamp on gas block. Everything forward of gas block being .875". Flute the barrel on both ends. Run a suppressor.

Not certain if this is a good idea. Have been lurking all the older load data I can find. Thinking to use 130 otm's from berger. Try to bring the velocity up.

If this sounds warm and cozy so far.. recommended chamber? Twist rate? What type of expected velocity? I am suspecting 2700fps with the 130gr hybrid.

Probably run a 5-25x atacr.

I was tempted to go with 18" and +1gas.. still tossing on the idea. Weight and mobility are a factor. In the drool completion world, going to use a 419 keymod arca rail and that dual extension ckye pod. While I can put a Magpul PRS or seekins 10x.. I am kind of leaning to keep the current system. Bcm compartmented sopmod style stock.

So... Is it worth the jump, or should I keep with ole trusty 308? Even the 185 juggernaut seems less than exciting. That 130otm in six five needs more at 2700fps runs the juggernaut at 2500fps.

Looking for some insight. Appreciated

Reactions: reubenski
sounds like you have done a lot of thinking. I am not a fan of the gas block > 0.75" on a gas gun. If you are sticking with .308, 1.20" is fine at the extension. I like BAT extensions and Douglas or Criterion barrels. Most of my 7.62 NATO shooting is with 168 or 175 gr. with 1:11.25" twist, although I have not seen that much difference with the 1:10, and if you are using a lighter pill, the 1:10 is most likely better.

But, those are my 2-c. Sounds like you are much further ahead in planning.

I have a lot in the works, behind scenes...

Did some reading and research. Looks like a 1:8 twist with 0.150" freebore is what I need. On a SAAMI chamber. Will facilitate the 130gr otm's and run most 140gr bullets as well.

Any and everyone with knowledge about various chamber and throat dimensions - chime in. I want to know your real experiences and insights. Not "my buddy's sister's husband's cousin said..."

I am sinking bucks into this. I want it right. As need be, I will share important details. This is not one of those failure to launch bragfest or "in the future" posts.

I literally want people to tell me their experiences and share first hand knowledge. So I may take that and accomplish my own goals.

I have a lot in the works, behind scenes...

Did some reading and research. Looks like a 1:8 twist with 0.150" freebore is what I need. On a SAAMI chamber. Will facilitate the 130gr otm's and run most 140gr bullets as well.

I am confused. Are you talking about a .308 or 6.5 CM ? We do a lot of work with .308, and I would have to see your research to support a 1:8 twist.

Needsmoor, using 130gr otm. Berger ar hybrid.

20" barrel with a +2.5" gas. 1:8 twist.

Looks like a 0.150" freebore will be about right for 2.75 to 2.8" coal. Leaves a little room for chasing lands.

However, this is based upon measurements I have found posted.

Looks like n150/550/555, anything marked 4350.. staball. All seem to be about right for powder. Any other recommendations?