• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tall target test results???

DocGlenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2006
North Georgia
I shot a tall target today to test my scope, a Leupold VX6 3-18, and I’m concerned. After turning up 30 MOA, my POI was 1.25” right of center. The target was mounted with a plumb line and a long level to confirm vertical. Have a level on the scope and the scope should be true as well. I would think that much movement right is not good, but I’m not sure? I also shot at plus 20 MOA and the POI was right of center as well. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_4178.jpeg
    IMG_4178.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 67
As positive as I can be. I checked the level on the scope before pulling the trigger. I’m almost .75” right at 20 MOA, that’s what I would dial for 900 yards, if my math is right, I would hit 6.75” right at 900. Not good.

Their are a couple of reasons this can happen:

1) The reticle is not level to the scope.
2) The Scope is not level but the reticle is true in the scope.
3) The erector is not traveling vertical.
4) Level is off by a degree or so (I have seen this before, super rare).
5) Level is not perfectly level to the scope.

When you do the tall target test perform it again. But this time leave your plumb bob out there and hold the reticle to the plumb. See if it travels vertical when you ignore the scope level, and only hold your reticle level to the plumb itself. Their were a bunch of scopes years ago which were notorious for this. Where the scope would be level, but the reticle sometimes was not. The way this was rectified was the service members would preference if they wanted to use holds or dialing and then run the tall target test for calibration off their preferred method.

If you do that, and its still wonky, then your internals are out of whack entirely.

Reactions: doubloon
Their are a couple of reasons this can happen:

1) The reticle is not level to the scope.
2) The Scope is not level but the reticle is true in the scope.
3) The erector is not traveling vertical.
4) Level is off by a degree or so (I have seen this before, super rare).
5) Level is not perfectly level to the scope.

When you do the tall target test perform it again. But this time leave your plumb bob out there and hold the reticle to the plumb. See if it travels vertical when you ignore the scope level, and only hold your reticle level to the plumb itself. Their were a bunch of scopes years ago which were notorious for this. Where the scope would be level, but the reticle sometimes was not. The way this was rectified was the service members would preference if they wanted to use holds or dialing and then run the tall target test for calibration off their preferred method.

If you do that, and it’s still wonky, then your internals are out of whack entirely.
Are you doing this without firing the rifle and just watching the reticle or are you firing the rifle? Thanks!