• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Talon advance extreme press

Beeckie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2017
Does anybody have any experience with the Talon advance extreme reloading press?
It looks interesting and at halve the price of a Turban.
Talon advance

Word is they are very high quality and very stout. I actually have one on the way. I'll update once I run some ammo through it.

Micron press indeed looks neat...

Cant imagine it working better than a rockchucker or a coax though.

Unless you really need a massive stroke length and frame opening.

Shred

Reactions: redleg1013
Micron press indeed looks neat...

Cant imagine it working better than a rockchucker or a coax though

Unless you really need a massive stroke length and frame opening.

Shred
I’m looking for a press to load my 300NM because seating bullets on the coax isn’t great. And I’m looking at a cheytac in the future so it looks great for that

Yes...it looks very cool, seems well made, and has a large frame opening.

Cheytecs and lapua based cartridges need the larger stroke and frame opening....hell seating a 190smk in a 30-06 is a pain on a rockchucker.

I also suppose that if someone can afford to burn cheytac rounds, than a new press isnt much of a biggie...

Shred

Last edited:
Reactions: redleg1013
Initial impressions:
  • Very well machined. Quality is excellent.
  • Very sturdy but surprisingly lighter than my Rock Chucker because of the aluminum parts.
  • This press tracks very straight and there is zero deflection in the ram. Or any other part for that matter.
  • Very right tolerances, maybe a little too tight causing the press to not feel very smooth, yet. I imagine that as I use it and the bushings that travel up and down the verticals guide rods break-in, it will smooth out nicely
  • I don’t like the spent primer system but it works and it’s not that big of a deal. Better than the Rock Chucker that always has a few strays.
  • There is no stop to keep the ram from caming over. This is new to me but I’m thinking I might like it. With my Rock Chucker, I always feel like I have to use the same pressure or I’ll get variances. With this press, as long as I cam-over, I should get very consistent results. At least that’s my theory.Overall, I think I’m going to be very happy with my purchase. I’ll update after I get some time on it.
8D467206-854A-448F-A188-E6CA5C21D493.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had one for just over a year. I think it was the first one in the states. The craftsmanship of this press is incredible and when compared to the cost of the high end German presses available it's a good value. I load everything from 6.5 Grendel to 4.300" long 338 Edge on it. They offer a 50 bmg shell holder now and different thread inserts for different size die bodies. For low volume extreme precision it's an excellent option. I don't deprime on the press so I have never used that feature.

~Justin

Attachments

• 20190530_144812.jpg
    20190530_144812.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 20190720_151802.jpg
    20190720_151802.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 20190422_211236_HDR.jpg
    20190422_211236_HDR.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: M1983
2 Questions-
which inline plate number is that? or did Dan do a custom for you?
and straight order via email off the website?

thanks

2 Questions-
which inline plate number is that? or did Dan do a custom for you?
and straight order via email off the website?

thanks
It's a custom plate from Dan- first one he had ever made for this press.

Are you talking about ordering the press or the mounting plate?

For the press I have ordered 2 of them from
upgradeyourrifle.com
Marco Brutti is my contact. Great to work with. PayPal invoice via email is how I purchased. Shipping was reasonable.

~Justin

actually both- the press and the custom plate from Dan. I like the idea of a single press to do 50BMG and smaller versus changing presses.

actually both- the press and the custom plate from Dan. I like the idea of a single press to do 50BMG and smaller versus changing presses.
Gotcha, if you give Dan a call and tell him it's for the Extreme Press from Talon he should have that bolt pattern saved to make you one. I think I paid for that via PayPal as well.

UPDATE: Talon says marks on main shaft won't cause problems. Primer issue is due to a mistake during manufacture. Incorrect pin size being used. Waiting on them to figure out a solution.

Bumping thread with some info for anyone thinking of doing larger calibers. Ran into some issues with 50 bmg. Contacted the retailer, I'll update with answers when I get them.

Main shaft is galling after resizing a dozen cases. I put a layer of oil on before use as well. There is some kind of bearing setup holding the main ram shaft, it does not like high pressure of large caliber cases. The contact surface area against the bearing seems concentrated to gall like that.

press_problem02.jpg

Okay this one made me laugh a bit. The pivot pin for the ram does not allow larger primers to exit out the bottom. Have to dissemble to empty it out each resizing session 😅

press_problem01.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while, have been getting a few Pm's asking about the press, my experiences after owning one for a while:
  • The primer catch tube always falls off even with a band clamp.
  • It doesn't have enough rigidity to resize 50 bmg since the cam/press parts are aluminum, it flexes and won't resize huge cases properly. The handle is also too short to get good leverage, so it takes extra manual effort to even attempt.
  • The shell holder retainment system causes the shell holder to tilt slightly until it's under load, so if you use expander mandrels you have to manually guide the case up slowly or it smashes the case mouth into the mandrel
  • 50 BMG primers get stuck in the ram as they didn't design enough clearance for them to exit. So after a while you need to take out the ram pin to let the primers fall. Have not been able to get a solution to fix this from the dealer.
  • The bolts holding it together back out constantly. I need to try red loctite next and see if that helps
I still use it for .308 or to do seating depth tests with 50 bmg bullets at the range because it's smaller/lighter to travel with. Wouldn't buy one again though.