• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tang Sight for Henry Lever Action?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Looking to get a Henry H001T in 22lr and was wondering compatibility with larger bore tang sights. Specifically the Sharps ladder ones with the adjustable aperture

Plan on taking this out pretty far, out to 600 yards and need the elevation (and windage) adjustment for that distance. Judging by takedown videos I'd have to have my smith JB weld or put in a threaded block so the tang sight had more area to grip too.

Last edited:
Have a look on the Buffalo Arms web site, lots of different bases of the various makes of tangent sights.
if the rifle has a top strap then you simply buy a mount and drill and tap thru it. Does not need a large area to sit on or grip.

have a look here: https://www.buffaloarms.com/target-44-iron-sights-optics/kelley.html

the Kelley Soulas are really nice but $$$$

there are some good alternatives, believe Pedersoli make passable items now ( thier earlier stuff was awful)

Have a look on the Buffalo Arms web site, lots of different bases of the various makes of tangent sights.
if the rifle has a top strap then you simply buy a mount and drill and tap thru it. Does not need a large area to sit on or grip.

have a look here: https://www.buffaloarms.com/target-44-iron-sights-optics/kelley.html

the Kelley Soulas are really nice but $$$$

there are some good alternatives, believe Pedersoli make passable items now ( thier earlier stuff was awful)
Will do. Seems possible, just need some measurements and good planning. Also for what it's worth. Kelley sights aren't THAT much if you're comparing them to good glass and a mount.

marble makes em’ for Henry 22

Been happy with mine, though it’s NOS

C223-D9-A0-8-E35-48-AF-A80-E-0-BFC594-AC4-DD.jpg

@TurboTrout Marble is another option I'm thinking of too. For my intended use I'd have to get a couple necks for the shooting I plan on doing. Calculated I need about 100 - 110 MOA max.

Henry is a 20in barrel, just don't know how much further back from it the tang is. if I knew I could calculate how tall a sight I needed.

Might need help with a little math here.

So ballpark the sight radius with a tang should be 28" which is 0.778 of a yard. Right now just trying to figure out what I would divide 1.047 (MOA) by the fraction of a yard to get the estimated MOA change at 100 yards per 0.01" of adjustment.

@TurboTrout Marble is another option I'm thinking of too. For my intended use I'd have to get a couple necks for the shooting I plan on doing. Calculated I need about 100 - 110 MOA max.

Henry is a 20in barrel, just don't know how much further back from it the tang is. if I knew I could calculate how tall a sight I needed.

That’s some MOA!

One other point to mention, on mine I also added a flip down fully adjustable rear irons sight from marble as well. Closer ranges I use the irons, longer range the rear flips down and I flip up the peep. Not sure if this would cover enough for a 22LR that’s going to 600

Quite so! That's about the drop if I zeroed at 100 yards with CCI SV. I have made shots out that far with an optic, figure might as well try with 22lr lol. My idea is to have a ladder sight so I can just adjust from 0 - 600 with one sight. The drop is actually quite similar to black powder 45-70 funny enough.

Reactions: TurboTrout
If I'm doing the math right, that means I'm just adding 0.222 to the MOA adjustment for 0.01. Waiting on a buddy to help me out with the math lol.

So did some calculations and with a 28" sight radius 0.01" of adjustment should be about 1.185" at 100 yards with a 20in Frontier model. Meaning 59.459 = 5.956 is needed for the 110 MOA of adjustment or about a 6" ladder which Montana Vintage Arms makes. Pricey, but not as much as some premium scopes people like to put on their rimfire rifles.

The above figure is with cci velocitor. with SV I'd need closer to 150 MOA lol. Considering switching to 22wmr which with federal 50gr would be an est drop of 88ish MOA at 600. and about 5MOA short of 700. Choices choices, but I at least have half of the problem down. Now it's just a matter of the smithing involved to securely attach the sight to the tang.

For a Henry, get a Marbles and be done. Period correct. They are less delicate than the sharps style. And just plain work.

Sirhr

Reactions: TurboTrout
Might need help with a little math here.

So ballpark the sight radius with a tang should be 28" which is 0.778 of a yard. Right now just trying to figure out what I would divide 1.047 (MOA) by the fraction of a yard to get the estimated MOA change at 100 yards per 0.01" of adjustment.
On a rifle with very limited accuracy potential?

On a rifle with very limited accuracy potential?
Yup! Already did it with a stock sporter barrel 22lr and a cheapo scope, figure might as well with a lever action and irons. I'm sure there's a better host for irons in a bolt action, but lever actions are quite a lot of fun.

For a Henry, get a Marbles and be done. Period correct. They are less delicate than the sharps style. And just plain work.

Sirhr
Sadly even their tallest post won't get me enough MOA. I'd be holding a few targets high, but it is appealing that I can just switch between the different heights. They are a plan B.