• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent, Minox, or Vortex

I've seen many Vortex go in for warranty work... And everyone has moved on from them here mostly... Just saying.

I was at one today, last week, the week before that for local matches. I'll be in Oregon for PRSID and Oklahoma for Silent Night

My only negative on it is the weight. You can get lighter scopes but you will pay more. I am not sure if the Vortex weight is by design or because they are using less expensive materials or both. I have an equivalent Schmidt PMII that is 10 oz lighter but I paid a lot more money for it. You do get a lot of scope for he money.
Watch Frank's video about how the Razors are made. Beefy internals and one reason why they weight what they do.

Reactions: ptalar
What do you mean by better internals and fit and finish? The Minox fit and finish is as good as it gets and the internals you know nothing about. You don’t know what either scope is made of on the inside.

Actually I do know what’s on the inside. Unfortunately it’s not something that can be spoken on in a public forum. And if the fit and finish was as good, there wouldn’t so many turret problems. The minox is a nice scope but don’t try to pretend it’s a TT.

run 5-6 barrels on one rifle and dont waste trips to the range to confirm zero's and thats where the turret system comes in handy...never have to worry if you got off or count clicks because theres a center reference dial...if you arent doin that, it dont matter much either way

like i said, personal preferences...NF and TT dont interest me at all

Interesting that you say this about multiple barrels as it is the reason I went with the TT. What method do you use to keep track of the barrel offsets? Are you actually marking the under the turret cover or do you just have them noted down somewhere? I’m just trying to picture this in my mind.

Actually I do know what’s on the inside. Unfortunately it’s not something that can be spoken on in a public forum. And if the fit and finish was as good, there wouldn’t so many turret problems. The minox is a nice scope but don’t try to pretend it’s a TT.

I’m not tryin to pretend anything. You and others throw these terms around without providing any evidence or explanation. “So many turret problems”, “Fit and finish”, “Better internals” are all meaningless bullshit without an explanation.

What turret problems? I have two Minoxes with no turret problems. I have been on this site for over a decade and have not read about all those turret problems. Are you talking about the second rev transition? If that’s a such a turret problem, disable the cam. On my two scopes the older one one has a harder transition than the newer scope. It’s not an issue any longer. No the turrets are not as nice as those on the TT. They are basic turrets. But they are not problematic either. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The same goes for the rest of the arguments against Minox which are trying to make it look like a Bushnell. There is no need for that. We all know TT is a better scope and that’s why it costs more. But the Minox weighs half a pound less, is waterproof down to 25m (which speaks to the sealing and anti-fogging properties), can be fitted with CW turrets, has a nicer reticle, and can be found for $2700 new with careful shopping. And the glass is almost as good.

I’m not tryin to pretend anything. You and others throw these terms around without providing any evidence or explanation. “So many turret problems”, “Fit and finish”, “Better internals” are all meaningless bullshit without an explanation.

What turret problems? I have two Minoxes with no turret problems. I have been on this site for over a decade and have not read about all those turret problems. Are you talking about the second rev transition? If that’s a such a turret problem, disable the cam. On my two scopes the older one one has a harder transition than the newer scope. It’s not an issue any longer. No the turrets are not as nice as those on the TT. They are basic turrets. But they are not problematic either. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The same goes for the rest of the arguments against Minox which are trying to make it look like a Bushnell. There is no need for that. We all know TT is a better scope and that’s why it costs more. But the Minox weighs half a pound less, is waterproof down to 25m (which speaks to the sealing and anti-fogging properties), can be fitted with CW turrets, has a nicer reticle, and can be found for $2700 new with careful shopping. And the glass is almost as good.

I owned two zp5s with turret issues. One was total mush. The other the lines didn’t match the clicks past 6.5 mils.

No I’m talking about the 2 minox I owned where the turrets would walk. As in the lines wouldn’t match up. I even posted a video about it on here. So don’t give me shit and act like you know what I do and dont know. Several other people have commented that the same happened to them.

Sounds more and more like QC issues on the Minox. I hope it was more so on the earlier scopes and the issues have hopefully been resolved by now. Everybody here would love to get 2x the scope at 1/2 the cost. It’s obvious there have been good ones and lemons as both are well represented just in this thread. It would really suck to drop that much coin on a new scope and then be without for months, that in my mind is unacceptable.

its funny some of this is the other way round for me from a price point of view because im in ireland i can buy a kahles k624i cheaper than the vortex gen2 and the s&b is £200 more than the vortex gen2

No I’m talking about the 2 minox I owned where the turrets would walk. As in the lines wouldn’t match up. I even posted a video about it on here. So don’t give me shit and act like you know what I do and dont know. Several other people have commented that the same happened to them.

This video is supposed to show what? Slack between clicks? BFD.

This video is supposed to show what? Slack between clicks? BFD.

View attachment 7040197

View attachment 7040199

It shows that when dialing quickly it can be hard to impossible to tell what click your on. So again I proved my point by giving you factual information from a first hand account. Don’t ever try to act like you know what I know. Keep dismissing the evidence. Blind fool.

You’re such an awesome ninja that what you showed in the video slows you down??? Lol!

You’re such an awesome ninja that what you showed in the video slows you down??? Lol!

Yes if you actually shoots matches. If you’re on a stage and you look up mid stage to confirm you’ve dialed the right dope but it’s in between clicks now you have to move the turret either up one or down one then back. On a 90 second stage that costs you valuable time.

That is not a very reassuring view from behind the scope when on the clock.
Once again assuming you know all the answers only to look like a dumbass.

Reactions: generalzip
My minox turrets also drift and i returned the scope.
Minox is good optic but don't be kidding your self, its not TT that's for sure. Just my opinion not trying to argue.

Reactions: generalzip
Interesting that you say this about multiple barrels as it is the reason I went with the TT. What method do you use to keep track of the barrel offsets? Are you actually marking the under the turret cover or do you just have them noted down somewhere? I’m just trying to picture this in my mind.

I have a note in my phone with the inner turret values...when I put a diffferent barrel on I just turn to the value

I’ve tried other scopes and it gets to be a mess remembering which barrel was the original reference and which one you used last to adjust from...2 barrels wasn’t bad, but more and more I’d always second guess

I've seen many Vortex go in for warranty work... And everyone has moved on from them here mostly... Just saying.

This past year I bought 2 different gen 2s off guys who said they went down in a match...I used both of them without sending them in...including the one I used a couple weeks ago in the brawl

So when I hear about warranty returns my reply is generally...”meh”

I have a note in my phone with the inner turret values...when I put a diffferent barrel on I just turn to the value

I’ve tried other scopes and it gets to be a mess remembering which barrel was the original reference and which one you used last to adjust from...2 barrels wasn’t bad, but more and more I’d always second guess

This is the same method I use. I assumed you had a much fancier method! ?. Congrats on the Rifles Only match by the way

Reactions: morganlamprecht
do you have the availability to look through each scope ? I know I do not and after seeing only a few different scopes everyone's eyes see differently a scope I love or enjoy shooting with may or may not be to your liking and visa versa , after listining to local shooters in my area one would think that nf is the only scope in the world worth shooting with , but that can't possible be the only truth cause every shop in my area only push vortex to which they proclaim they are the best scope bar none , but you will grow out of them . what's that even mean . while i can see that the vortex scope and night force scopes i have had the chance to look through were nice in there own ways . I am happier with my decision to buy , what I think was a better choice and or deal for me, but its my choice . Thought i still want a few of the others for other guns maybe . buy once cry once is a nice saying , but so is 6 people told a story the same way , all six tell that story , and all 6 tell it somewhat differently .

Reactions: morganlamprecht
do you have the availability to look through each scope ? I know I do not and after seeing only a few different scopes everyone's eyes see differently a scope I love or enjoy shooting with may or may not be to your liking and visa versa , after listining to local shooters in my area one would think that nf is the only scope in the world worth shooting with , but that can't possible be the only truth cause every shop in my area only push vortex to which they proclaim they are the best scope bar none , but you will grow out of them . what's that even mean . while i can see that the vortex scope and night force scopes i have had the chance to look through were nice in there own ways . I am happier with my decision to buy , what I think was a better choice and or deal for me, but its my choice . Thought i still want a few of the others for other guns maybe . buy once cry once is a nice saying , but so is 6 people told a story the same way , all six tell that story , and all 6 tell it somewhat differently .
This made my head hurt.

Well, like has been said here before, if you have the $, I would suggest getting the TT. It’s very intuitive, if you have a switch barrel it’s a snap to reset zero stop every time you need and has all the quality (glass, turrets, whatever) you’ll ever need. If you feel like you’re always going to wonder what might have been.... then maybe just take the plunge. If you don’t like it down the line (I don’t know why that would happen), then you can off-load it to someone who will, and buy that cheaper scope.

Also, none of the scopes you are looking at will hold you back from completely rocking any match you are in (or hunt you are on)........ you will be the weak link.

Have fun!

I do not have the option to look at them locally so I turn to people who have them to help guide

Yes if you actually shoots matches. If you’re on a stage and you look up mid stage to confirm you’ve dialed the right dope but it’s in between clicks now you have to move the turret either up one or down one then back. On a 90 second stage that costs you valuable time.
View attachment 7040252
That is not a very reassuring view from behind the scope when on the clock.
Once again assuming you know all the answers only to look like a dumbass.

Whatchado? Twist the turret until the click was about to break and snap a photo?

I do not have the option to look at them locally so I turn to people who have them to help guide

Consider going through a SH vendor that sells your top two or three choices and buying them with the intent of returning the scope(s) you decided against after comparing them (informing the dealer, of course). You will likely have to pay return shipping costs, but small price to pay to get some hands on and know what you know will work for you.

Whatchado? Twist the turret until the click was about to break and snap a photo?

Haha stupid that’s how the turret drifted from not 1 but 2 white box minox. Now you’re just making yourself look like a fool. Congrats on being the biggest dumbass on this forum. You ma’am are truly some special kinda stupid. Maybe one day you’ll get out and shoot a gun instead of your mouth.

Haha stupid that’s how the turret drifted from not 1 but 2 white box minox. Now you’re just making yourself look like a fool. Congrats on being the biggest dumbass on this forum. You ma’am are truly some special kinda stupid. Maybe one day you’ll get out and shoot a gun instead of your mouth.
Mine also did this. Still a good scope for the price though, imo.

Mine also did this. Still a good scope for the price though, imo.
If you can get one for sub $2500 on the used market it may be worth it provided you can get proof the turrets are good.
If you do get one with good turrets then yes I do believe it’s a good value.

When I contacted minox about mine they told me 6-8 weeks for repair. After seeing people be told that, then end up 3-4 months in the hole I’d rather not.

If you can get one for sub $2500 on the used market it may be worth it provided you can get proof the turrets are good.
If you do get one with good turrets then yes I do believe it’s a good value.

When I contacted minox about mine they told me 6-8 weeks for repair. After seeing people be told that, then end up 3-4 months in the hole I’d rather not.

MINOX def needs to improve QA/QC if they want to compete with the US market. People can do whatever they want with their money, but after I bought 2 White box ones and both had issues with turrets and/or glass, I'll never buy another Minox product again. For a scope in that price range, I'd think the QC should be much better.

Exactly! I have a couple and my experience is like yours. I have been running them for 2 years in local and national matches without issues. First day out mine fell over at the range landed on it's turret, made scar on the turret, never lost zero, still shooting it today. I have shot them to 2000y at a PRS ELR match and they tracked. I run them without issues and the glass as awesome. I played with ZCO this weekend for quite a while and will take it over that for sure. The only scope I owned with better glass was an Optronika Premier. One of our boys runs TT's on all his stuff and they are a little better overall, but I don't care. Minox runs, tracks, glass is excellent and the seller, CS Tactical, is outstanding. You guys want be gear queers and change scopes every month? Fine but don't bullshit the rest of us with your knowledge or experience.

Reactions: freedom71
Exactly! I have a couple and my experience is like yours. I have been running them for 2 years in local and national matches without issues. First day out mine fell over at the range landed on it's turret, made scar on the turret, never lost zero, still shooting it today. I have shot them to 2000y at a PRS ELR match and they tracked. I run them without issues and the glass as awesome. I played with ZCO this weekend for quite a while and will take it over that for sure. The only scope I owned with better glass was an Optronika Premier. One of our boys runs TT's on all his stuff and they are a little better overall, but I don't care. Minox runs, tracks, glass is excellent and the seller, CS Tactical, is outstanding. You guys want be gear queers and change scopes every month? Fine but don't bullshit the rest of us with your knowledge or experience.
Not all are created equal. I'm glad yours are working great for you, but you can't deny others problems just because you didn't have them.

No one is bullshitting. I’ve owned 2 white box minox and provided photo and video evidence of the turret issues.
If you want to be in denial that the QC is very hit or miss then continue to look like a fool dismissing first hand evidence.

Reactions: LakuNoc