• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent Theta 3-15 with Gen 3XR - how is it?

The Element Nexus is a very nice scope which is working out very well for me and it is in this category.I got mine from camera land with the sale they had on them for $1,350.

The Element Nexus is a very nice scope which is working out very well for me and it is in this category.I got mine from camera land with the sale they had on them for $1,350.

That's a very good point. I have the Nexus 5-20x50 and like it quite a lot. It is a hair heavier than I'd like for this category, but out of the currently available options, it is definitely one of the best and weight is essentially the same as TT315M with Mark5 only a couple of ounces lighter.

ILya

When I saw the ATACR 4-20 first announced there was a side of me that was really hoping this would be a "lighter" version, but knowing the ATACR line the practical side of me knew it wouldn't be lighter... but heavier than the ZCO, wasn't expecting that... narrow bottom end FOV, wasn't expecting that. Why more manufacturers haven't pursued lighter weight FFP options has me scratching my head a bit.
Maybe if the NRL hunter stuff really takes off or in general a shift away from super heavy rifles happens that may gain traction but I kinda doubt it. I think most don’t really gawk at an extra 4-6oz unless there’s a hard personal weight limit or precise balance is a goal.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I still don't get it. Everyone was drooling and waiting for the release of the TT315LRH ... And then... They decide to shoot themselves in the foot (again) with their reticle choice and/or lack there of. Ideal would be a thicker version of their Gen 3XR that's designed for a 3-15 mag range and quick acquisition. Hell, I'd been tickled pink just tossing in the Gen 3XR as is. Next, when I heard they were offering locking turret features for their scopes, I was all in again. Was gonna pick up the 3-15M with Gen 3XR and purchase the extra locking turret feature.....BUT.....then found out that's only being offered for the 525P.... friggin A!

Leupy ... There tree choices and non-illuminated....ugh.

WTH a guy gotta do to get a light weight crossover scope with the features we've been wanting and discussing for years. Hello McFly, anybody home?!? I'll call Captain Obvious and place my order.

Apologies for the rage this morning but just tired of waiting for that perfect alpha, light weight, FFP scope. My use cases are for clip-on, hunting crossover. Maybe just being too fussy, but stuff's spendy and TT is so damn close to hittin the sweet spot IMO.

I still don't get it. Everyone was drooling and waiting for the release of the TT315LRH ... And then... They decide to shoot themselves in the foot (again) with their reticle choice and/or lack there of. Ideal would be a thicker version of their Gen 3XR that's designed for a 3-15 mag range and quick acquisition. Hell, I'd been tickled pink just tossing in the Gen 3XR as is. Next, when I heard they were offering locking turret features for their scopes, I was all in again. Was gonna pick up the 3-15M with Gen 3XR and purchase the extra locking turret feature.....BUT.....then found out that's only being offered for the 525P.... friggin A!

WTH a guy gotta do to get a light weight crossover scope with the features we've been wanting and discussing for years. Hello McFly, anybody home?!? I'll call Captain Obvious and place my order.

Apologies for the rage this morning but just tired of waiting for that perfect alpha, light weight, FFP scope. My use cases are for clip-on, hunting crossover. Maybe just being too fussy, but stuff's spendy and TT is so damn close to hittin the sweet spot IMO.
Huh? Looking at those pics the ret is totally usable at 5-6x.

Huh? Looking at those pics the ret is totally usable at 5-6x.

Tis it is.... That's why I said I'd settle for Gen 3XR being offered in the LRH model or pickup the 315M with optional locking turret feature if it was available. Otherwise IMO for drops and holdovers, against darker backgrounds (lowlight and vegetation) and clip-on use, thicker would be easier for finding reference marks quicker. Or another possibility would be distinctive landmarks for quick referencing at lower mags. I found this out in use with ZCO's mpct2. Many of the shots were occuring 250-400 yards. Roughly that +/-.5 of the 1mil mark. I could find that 1 mil mark on mpct2, but it was a few seconds longer than I wanted. Especially in listed situations at lower mag. So, I made the switch to mpct3 specifically for that open circle at the 1mil mark. I noticed immediately my acquisition times reduced because that 1mil circle gave me a landmark to reference. Really noticed the better reaction times at lower mag/less vis situations. This was the whole premise of developing the LRH reticle, faster acquisition for less than ideal situations. It's just that they forgot the tree portion for us guys that want to utilize it as a crossover. To me, slap mpct3 in a TT315 LRH would equal yum yum.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Tis it is.... That's why I said I'd settle for Gen 3XR being offered in the LRH model or pickup the 315M with optional locking turret feature if it was available. Otherwise IMO for drops and holdovers, against darker backgrounds (lowlight and vegetation) and clip-on use, thicker would be easier for finding reference marks quicker. Or another possibility would be distinctive landmarks for quick referencing at lower mags. I found this out in use with ZCO's mpct2. Many of the shots were occuring 250-400 yards. Roughly that +/-.5 of the 1mil mark. I could find that 1 mil mark on mpct2, but it was a few seconds longer than I wanted. Especially in listed situations at lower mag. So, I made the switch to mpct3 specifically for that open circle at the 1mil mark. I noticed immediately my acquisition times reduced because that 1mil circle gave me a landmark to reference. Really noticed the better reaction times at lower mag/less vis situations. This was the whole premise of developing the LRH reticle, faster acquisition for less than ideal situations. It's just that they forgot the tree portion for us guys that want to utilize it as a crossover. To me, slap mpct3 in a TT315 LRH would equal yum yum.
Ahhh, you want the GEN3XR in the hunting scope they came out with?

I‘m using the 315LRH on my primary hunting rifle and it’s the best hunting scope I’ve used. Very easy to aim on a particular hair....

Just got one. Can’t wait to use it. The LRH that is.

Like ILya mentioned previously this is a hard niche to hit. I believe we’re going to see some interesting crossover options soon. It takes a while for manufacturers to catch on with trends, the first to score on a lightweight FFP 4-20ish scope at 26oz or less will make some waves. I think the best competition in the alpha class to the TT315M is the March 4.5-28 with its massive FOV and excellent glass. But it’d be sweet if there was some 3-18 type offerings under 26oz. I know it seems petty to squabble over a few oz and I think many mfr’s are banking on shooters not caring, but I think there is rising demand for lightweight FFP options.

The TT315M has been so tempting, but I’m always wishing it had just a bit more, a TT420M would be a force to be reckoned with and would fill a gap they don’t currently have.

Reactions: Moose
I have also wondered why they do not put a TT-4X20m out and make the mag ring easier to turn.

I have also wondered why they do not put a TT-4X20m out and make the mag ring easier to turn.

Mag ring is easier to turn on more recent scopes. They changed something, I think.

As far 4-20x goes, I suspect they think it is too close to the existing 3-15x and 5-25x models to put the effort into a new design.

If I was them, I would leave the TT315M and TT315H models as is and add a couple of exra reticle options.

The TT315P, however, is itching for a magnification bump.

ILya

The new 4-20x50 is also heavy and tunnels on the low end, so chances are it is aimed at NRL22 or other forms of competition, where weight is not a detriment and going below 7x or so is not happening any time soon. And these are also not cheap. NX8 looks compelling on paper, but I do not like the execution.

Geez it's 2021 why is tunneling should not still be a thing.

I guess 4-20 sounds better than 5-20 and many folks wont even notice

I'm glad you quoted that part about the tunneling. Now I have to save for a damn Tangent.

The people that love to complain about tunneling, will never shoot at such low power...

I have to agree but only because scope manufactures make reticles to damn fine to use properly on minimum magnification....

I shoot all my scopes on minimum magnification, why would a buy a lower magnification scope if I wasn't going to use the lower end of the magnification range....

Given that the Schmidt Ultra Short 5-20 and even the Element Nexus 5-20 have FOV values very close to the Nightforce 4-20 at the bottom end, tunneling is not surprising, but I agree with you beet... why?

The people that love to complain about tunneling, will never shoot at such low power...
I understand where you’re coming from (like the guys that complain about the Gen II razor, only to go out and buy weights for their gun). But, I hunt hogs with my guns and I end up using 3-4 a lot.

Given that the Schmidt Ultra Short 5-20 and even the Element Nexus 5-20 have FOV values very close to the Nightforce 4-20 at the bottom end, tunneling is not surprising, but I agree with you beet... why?
The below data is old but shows the Khales 6x-24x offers FOV ~same as ATACR 5-25 on 5x (at least in 2014)