• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tango6 3-18 vs Mark5 3-18

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

So I don't really need a new scope but I may find myself looking for one soon. If I do, I want something short and compact. The tango6 3-18 and 4-24 seem like very attractive options as well as the Leopold mark 5. I like shooting steel, but honestly, I almost never get to do so. So my main use for this optic would be for hunting and occasional steel banging. Because i will use it for hunting, I like the magnification range these optics offer. I do not want something with more than 4 on the low end. I'd really like to be around $1,500 and I think these scopes could be found for such price when found used. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I really don't wanna stretch budget to $2,000 but if it's a very attractive option and an unreal deal I could consider it. This is going to be a huge step up for me in optics and price being that my best scope right now is a Bushnell lrhs that I got through GAP's deal. With that said, I want to make sure I make a good decision. Any advice from people who have owned these particular optics is welcome. If there is something else you think I should consider, let me know.

Oh, one more thing... I really dislike the 35mm main tube on the mark 5 because with my rifle, I can never find low enough rings. I can set a scope I have with 56mm objective right on the base (No rings or mount) and it still clears.

**edit**
    Can anybody comment on the eotech PRS 34mm rings? Are they reliable? They are the lowest rings I've found in 34mm main tube.
    Thanks...

I've got both scopes in the higher mag range and both are good options. If I had to pick one over the other I would go with the Sig as it has a few more and better features that I like. The Leupold is light and I like how low the elevation turret is, but the reticle choices are definitely limited and illumination will cost you more.
    You can find rings for 34 and 35mm from Seekins and Vortex that should fit about anything.

I've got both scopes in the higher mag range and both are good options. If I had to pick one over the other I would go with the Sig as it has a few more and better features that I like. The Leupold is light and I like how low the elevation turret is, but the reticle choices are definitely limited and illumination will cost you more.
    You can find rings for 34 and 35mm from Seekins and Vortex that should fit about anything.

The lowest rings I found in 35mm are TPS right @ .897 inches top of base to centerline of scope tube. Lowest I found in 34mm are .82 inches which is closer to what I like. It's not a deal breaker, but for me, I like having my scope quite low.

Since I will use for hunting, can you comment on the low light performance on these and glass quality from your perception?

The lowest rings I found in 35mm are TPS right @ .897 inches top of base to centerline of scope tube. Lowest I found in 34mm are .82 inches which is closer to what I like. It's not a deal breaker, but for me, I like having my scope quite low.

Since I will use for hunting, can you comment on the low light performance on these and glass quality from your perception?

I've not had the Leupold out at dusk but overall glass is very similar to the Sig. I've had the Sig out to dusk and it performed as well as the others at the time which were S&B and Kahles. Glass is so subjective to conditions and personal bias that its hard for me to tell you what you like.... I would guess that either scope would work very well within legal shooting hours for hunting. Not trying to be wishy-washy here but in the price range you are getting quality optics so it gets very nit picky to personal taste.

I've not had the Leupold out at dusk but overall glass is very similar to the Sig. I've had the Sig out to dusk and it performed as well as the others at the time which were S&B and Kahles. Glass is so subjective to conditions and personal bias that its hard for me to tell you what you like.... I would guess that either scope would work very well within legal shooting hours for hunting. Not trying to be wishy-washy here but in the price range you are getting quality optics so it gets very nit picky to personal taste.

I agree 100% that glass is highly subjective. That is why I asked how low light performance was under your perception. It could be totally different for me though. Anyhow, thank you so much for your input. It's always good to hear from those who have actually had said optics.

Anybody else have something to say???

I have a Sig Tango6 4-24 and really like the scope. It is probably my favorite optic I own. Glass is fantastic, the locking turrets are nice and I big plus for a hunting rig. I also like the levelplex which can come in handy if you are shooting off a bipod from uneven surfaces. For hunting ranges it wouldn’t be that important but for long range that is another matter. I got a killer deal on mine too. Well under $1500. If you give Chris a cal at Interstate guns a call I’ll bet he can give you a really good deal on one.

Just me, I could not stand the turrets on tango6. Wobbling, plays, need to wiggle down for locking. I think Bushnell g2 series are way better options . Personal view so take it with in person validation

Just me, I could not stand the turrets on tango6. Wobbling, plays, need to wiggle down for locking. I think Bushnell g2 series are way better options . Personal view so take it with in person validation

I know you mentioned Bushnell G2 series and the lrhs does not fall under that category. But that is what I now have and i got it for $750. Do you think going up to about $1,500.00 budget will be worth it over my lrhs if I go either mark5 or tango6? Or is the lrts/lrhs a model you have not looked at?

I have two Tango6 3-18x scopes, both Gen1s with the 30mm tube. Turrets have been great - pull up to dial, push down to lock. No wiggling or wobbling.
    Glass on them is fantastic and will spoil you. It's a notable step up over Philippine-made scopes like the Vortex Viper PST and Burris XTR and XTR II.

The entire Tango6 line is great - Sig did their homework and designed a scope that checks all the right boxes. The problems with the entire line are:
    1) Sig sucks at providing information about them. You'd think a reticle diagram showing subtensions and such would be included in the box. You'd be wrong. I can't find it on their website either. No info on weight on the website either, which brings us to...

2) The Tango6 3-18x is heavy compared to other scopes in that class. It was heavy in Gen1 and still is with Gen2. But Sig won't list the weight on their website.

It's as if they spent the entire budget on design and engineering and left nothing for marketing.

I've never paid full price for a Tango6. Both of mine ran me around $800. One was a new closeout, one was a used one from another Hide member. So when they can be had for what a PST goes for new, the Tango6 is a better deal, by far. Comparing them to the Razor Gen2, I'd say the Tango6 is comparable.

Tango4 is nowhere close to the same quality. Nice scope for $500-$600, but not more than that.

I have two Tango6 3-18x scopes, both Gen1s with the 30mm tube. Turrets have been great - pull up to dial, push down to lock. No wiggling or wobbling.
    Glass on them is fantastic and will spoil you. It's a notable step up over Philippine-made scopes like the Vortex Viper PST and Burris XTR and XTR II.

The entire Tango6 line is great - Sig did their homework and designed a scope that checks all the right boxes. The problems with the entire line are:
    1) Sig sucks at providing information about them. You'd think a reticle diagram showing subtensions and such would be included in the box. You'd be wrong. I can't find it on their website either. No info on weight on the website either, which brings us to...

2) The Tango6 3-18x is heavy compared to other scopes in that class. It was heavy in Gen1 and still is with Gen2. But Sig won't list the weight on their website.

It's as if they spent the entire budget on design and engineering and left nothing for marketing.

I've never paid full price for a Tango6. Both of mine ran me around $800. One was a new closeout, one was a used one from another Hide member. So when they can be had for what a PST goes for new, the Tango6 is a better deal, by far. Comparing them to the Razor Gen2, I'd say the Tango6 is comparable.

Tango4 is nowhere close to the same quality. Nice scope for $500-$600, but not more than that.

Thanks a bunch for contributing. I too find that Sig doesn't include all the information one would look for like other manufacturers do. I did however, find the weight on Eurooptic and holy hell, what heavy scope. The weight alone makes me want to go with the mark 5 lol but honestly, I feel dead set on the tango 6 Gen 2.

Does anybody know if the 4-24 Come in black, I really don't like the grey!

I’m pretty sure these come in black and gray.

Attachments

• 03072C4C-1F88-4424-8102-62E3487586AE.jpeg
      03072C4C-1F88-4424-8102-62E3487586AE.jpeg
      716.2 KB · Views: 158
    • DD9FD283-6E16-4CA3-A3A5-C2F2813416DC.jpeg
      DD9FD283-6E16-4CA3-A3A5-C2F2813416DC.jpeg
      763.3 KB · Views: 151
    I just bought a 3-18, because I got it for great price compared to retail. Havent mounted it or shot it yet. need to buy a mount
    The parallax on the 3-18 also goes down to 25

I just bought a 3-18, because I got it for great price compared to retail. Havent mounted it or shot it yet. need to buy a mount
    The parallax on the 3-18 also goes down to 25

Cardinal,
    I’m looking at the 3-18 as well. Do you mind sharing where you bought yours. Thanks.

I’ll throw in my thoughts also. Probably this coming weekend I should be able to work with it

Glass on the Tango6 6-24 is markedly better than the MK5 3-18. The MK5 5-25 is considerably better than the 3-18 version, though I would still give the nod to the Sig 6-24. I’d go so far as to say that few scopes in that $1500 price range offer the same clarity as the Tango6 line does.

Turrets on the MK5 are markedly better than those on the Sig. There is a small amount of play in the Tango6 turrets, even in the locked position, and in certain positions could be unclear as to which detent they are actually on. Additionally, depending on where your zero is, the hash marks did not line up 100% on either of my Tango6s. An issue for some but not necessarily a deal breaker.

My recommendation would be to go with the one that you can find cheaper (which will almost positively be the Tango6). SportOptics and some other places have great deals on them every so often and for the $1000-1200 or so that you’d spend, you are absolutely getting the best performance/cost.

Cardinal,
    I’m looking at the 3-18 as well. Do you mind sharing where you bought yours. Thanks.

Sorry it wont help you. I live in Norway. Older versions of the forum software listed that under the name, but the current ones don't unless one click to see extra info..
    Retail for it is $3100-3200 here, and I got one for $1800. they only had one, they had bought the inventory of a shop going out of business.

Glass on the Tango6 6-24 is markedly better than the MK5 3-18. The MK5 5-25 is considerably better than the 3-18 version, though I would still give the nod to the Sig 6-24. I’d go so far as to say that few scopes in that $1500 price range offer the same clarity as the Tango6 line does.

Turrets on the MK5 are markedly better than those on the Sig. There is a small amount of play in the Tango6 turrets, even in the locked position, and in certain positions could be unclear as to which detent they are actually on. Additionally, depending on where your zero is, the hash marks did not line up 100% on either of my Tango6s. An issue for some but not necessarily a deal breaker.

My recommendation would be to go with the one that you can find cheaper (which will almost positively be the Tango6). SportOptics and some other places have great deals on them every so often and for the $1000-1200 or so that you’d spend, you are absolutely getting the best performance/cost.
    I pretty much agree with everything jb said above with regard to the Mark 5HD, I love the turrets but wish the glass and reticle offering was better. I have not gotten my hands on a Tango6 but I did have a Tango4 which I would not recommend at all, that being said the Tango6 is made by LOW and is Sig's high end offering and everyone seems to love them for their price-performance. I did a review of the Mark 5 3.6-18x44 on opticsthoughts - http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2296

OP - ARC makes their M10 35mm ring in a .94" high ring, those are the rings you can see on the Leupold in the above review. Also, you mention having an LRHSi which is a 4.5-18x44, are you simply looking to get below 4x or are there other reasons? One other thought for you, I think of the Tract Toric 4-20x50 as a Tango5 line since the Tango6 and Toric both come from LOW and have similar grayish color, not the greatest reticle lineup but outstanding price for a fantastic scope that has made its way onto my big hunter/tactical rifle, I love the 4-20ish range for this type of rig...

20180923_Tract_Toric_4-20x50_0001.jpg

I pretty much agree with everything jb said above with regard to the Mark 5HD, I love the turrets but wish the glass and reticle offering was better. I have not gotten my hands on a Tango6 but I did have a Tango4 which I would not recommend at all, that being said the Tango6 is made by LOW and is Sig's high end offering and everyone seems to love them for their price-performance. I did a review of the Mark 5 3.6-18x44 on opticsthoughts - http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2296

OP - ARC makes their M10 35mm ring in a .94" high ring, those are the rings you can see on the Leupold in the above review. Also, you mention having an LRHSi which is a 4.5-18x44, are you simply looking to get below 4x or are there other reasons? One other thought for you, I think of the Tract Toric 4-20x50 as a Tango5 line since the Tango6 and Toric both come from LOW and have similar grayish color, not the greatest reticle lineup but outstanding price for a fantastic scope that has made its way onto my big hunter/tactical rifle, I love the 4-20ish range for this type of rig...

View attachment 6956616

Thank you for your input. Because I want to put this scope on a rifle I'll use for hunting, I really want a low power for the greater field of view. Nothing wrong with the lrhs but I love having a 3 power on my low end. I don't mind 4, and 4.5 is already a bit on the higher end of magnification power for me. I've taken deer at literally no more than 35 yards in the past and it's not uncommon for them to come up that close. While the ARC rings are absolutely great, I just wish lower options existed. Of course, .94 isn't too bad and if I had to, I would use them. Here is a pic with my rifle and a 6-30x56 weaver resting on the base and still has clearance. From the picture you can't tell, but I can slide a few dollar bills stacked together under with no problem

20181004_145818.jpg

^^^ Nice little rig there. Regarding the rings, you have an adjustable cheek piece, you don't need super low rings??? I tend to think of anything over 35oz too heavy for anything I might take hunting, but that is my personal limit. I do love the Sig DEV-L reticle so if you don't mind the weight the Tango6 3-18 has the specs you are looking for. If you don't mind plan mil hash reticles and can give up a little FOV at the bottom the Tract Toric makes a great option, the other scopes I'd recommend are above your budget unless you're willing to do a 4-16 or 3-15 but I'm assuming you're looking for a little more on the top end. One other thought, the Vortex PST II 5-25x50 is a fantastic scope for the price and before you discount it saying it's 5x, check out the FOV numbers, the PST II actually has a wider FOV at 5x than the LRHSi at 4.5x and the Toric at 4x along with some other 4x scopes. When I look at scopes I pay close attention to the FOV numbers vs. the magnification because not all scopes are created equal :)

Thanks for the info here I was looking hard at a MK5 and possible an SHV F1 but this is another good option. Maybe I should look for a package deal on all of them...

i'm sorry i can't actually compare, but so far i have been impressed with the Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 on my Scar 20S.

the Horus H59 reticle is my preference anyway, since i have experience with it already.
    i need to be able to spot my own corrections, and engage multiple targets at different ranges without taking time to dial.
    not that i will need to engage a convoy 1/2 mile away coming at my position, but you never know. ;)

it is definitely ruggedly built, as the Scar hasn't killed it

no slight on SIG products. i still have the first P226 i got in the early 90s.

anyway, scopes have sure come a long way since the Weaver K4 on my '62 Winchester Model 88. :D

I have a Tango6 gen2 3-18x and 5-30x, and both are good to go. Glass is fine for long-range shooting on steel, which is what I use them for. Illumination is also better than the usual, and is easily visible in direct sun (wouldn't call it "bright" in those conditions, though). Turrets also seem to dial fine, but agree that the detents can be ambiguous in certain cases. I will also echo others that the zero stop feature is a touch annoying to use, so I stopped bothering with it.

I also happen to have the Eotech 34mm PRS rings, and they've worked well for me.

I have had both since the beginning of the year. I found the parallax adjustment finicky on the Tango 6 and set it at infinity most of the time. I didn't care for the turrets too much. I think the Mark 5 does better in low light. I got the Tremor 3 reticle in the MK5 and I like the Dev-L reticle in the Tango 6 about the same. For a hunting scope the Standard MRAD reticle in the Tango 6 is better than the T3 or Dev-l due to those reticles being too thin on low power. The Tango 6 felt heavy on top of my 223 yote rifle and the Mark 5 feels to be a better fit. Overall I prefer the Mark 5. Both were the 3-18 options. YMMV but these were my findings.

Reactions: Jonnyb0381