• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tapmatic 50x - Suggestions?

AnschutzNerd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
World Traveler
I have to drill and tap about 100-holes in 1/4-in stainless steel (304 and 316). I am using cobalt drills for the through holes. The tap size is 10-24.

I just purchased a Tapmatic 50x head to complete the task. I have never used one before. Tips?

Any suggestions on what type of tap to use and a good quality, commonly available, tapping fluid or tapping cream?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

AnschutzNerd

We tap a lot of stainless at work, I like heavy tap fluid and spiral flute taps to lift the chips out. I don't know the brand as its in a generic container but it's Boeing approved. The taps are OSG brand

Usually not many problems with 304 or 316 with cut threads. Lots of options on taps. Emuge, Balax, YG1 are a few with Emuge being the preferred. Have a 316 recurring job that I change out a 10-24 Emuge every 1000 holes as a feel good. Not sure how long it would last but 1000 is enough for me with this part's material cost. It's on a HMC with thru spindle coolant though. For short run and manual I usually use Balax and their Baltap S fluid.

ETA: Tips would be to buy a good tap and fluid, and if you can get away with it go to the next size drill. Any of the companies listed will be more than happy to help you with tap selection for your application.

Last edited:
I have a 70 X and have done 100's of 1/4 20 to 5/8 11. I did practice threading on cs. to get used to proper retract if thru hole or learn to let the tapmatic auto stop for blind holes then retract. you got a good one. tap choices are very varied to material type. some alloys are like a mean woman. coolant can be quite good or crappy dependent on material choice, speeds, clutch settings, etc. i'd rather have your 50 x than my 70x for 1/4 20 tho

Thanks!

Task was completed two years ago using coated OSG taps and stainless specific oil lubricant.
...and a horse-hair brush.

AN

Thanks!

Task was completed two years ago using coated OSG taps and stainless specific oil lubricant.
...and a horse-hair brush.

AN

I've been turning or thread milling most of my threaded items but have some tapping to do coming up. The OSG seems to be at the top of the recommendations every where I look.