• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Target building

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
Guys, if this is in the wrong section, just let me know where to move it. I am trying to duplicate the targets that our range uses for competitions. I have already made the wooden frame, but I am now trying to find a suitable backing to hang targets one. I have found a couple of options at a local art store, but nothing is large enough to fit the 55"x52" frame. Do you have any ideas on the material that is typically used on the NRA style long range rifle targets and where I might find some large enough to fit my needs? Thanks.

Re: Target building

Several years ago I started using corrugated plastic sign material. It comes in several thicknesses and I can get a 4'x8' sheet for $10 from a local sign company.

This stuffstands up to the wind and weather in my area real well and holds together even after it has been shot at a bunch.

I was able to get about fifty 4'x 8' sheets for free by calling the local campaign headquarters for a candidate after the last election. They told me that I could have all that I could remove as it saved them time and money. I dropped by and they gave me a written statement that I was authorized to remove the signs and I had only one occasion to talk to a LEO and when I showed him the letter I was good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Mule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was able to get about fifty 4'x 8' sheets for free by calling the local campaign headquarters for a candidate after the last election. They told me that I could have all that I could remove as it saved them time and money. I dropped by and they gave me a written statement that I was authorized to remove the signs and I had only one occasion to talk to a LEO and when I showed him the letter I was good to go. </div></div>

Try and make sure its an anti gun dem though

Fortunately there are not many anti-gun candidates for office here in the Panhandle. There are so few democrats around, that the county that I live in does not even have a Democratic Primary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^ i've been using a bunch of 'liberated' obama signs for my target stands....</div></div>
that is funny as I just saw a bunch of those Dem's signs on the range last weekend and that was the big joke. Hey, can't wait until fall so we can get some more signs
grin.gif

love the obama sign targets! Wish i had some for when i go to the range again. for cheap shooting i have a lot of clap-board siding from rebuilding my shed after katrina and it stays strong even after many shots from my 7.62x54r, 22's, and shotguns! it just punches nice neat holes through and leaves a nice contrast to see your POI on it. (this is only good outdoor due to weight and mess) it does leave a white powder dust after a lot of shooting.

I use black board from my local lumber store, or sheets of cardboard held on with large black metal clips from the local office supply store.

if you can find it, old conveyor belt. the stuff is a nylon belted rubber that stands up to thousands before being useless.

osb from lowes is like 6 bucks for a sheet 4x8 sheet. Works well for me.

While everybody is target informationing...a while back a thread mentioned using the campaign signs in a manner that created home made "Shoot-N-See" type targets...something about spray painting different layers. I tried the search function but evidently didn't use the right words. If someone has the link I'd appreciate the info. Thanks. FNP

Bright orange or green then clear coat it. Spray over it with cheap black paint. It will chip when shot through

i use a foam backing, then use toothpics to hang my paper targets on the foam. I have a large dirt mound behind the foam of course.