• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Peeps?

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Anyone using target peeps these days?

I decided I was going to go back to the original setup of the Williams Peep Sight my Savage MK II-FVT came with when I first got it. For the past year or so I had been using a Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42 Mil-Dot scope on this rifle, and I just don't get the same satifaction from it like I do when using the peep sights.

Should I decide to switch back it's just a simple matter of reinstalling the scope which I stored away with the 20 MOA scope base, along with the information of where it's zeroed at this point.

I don't use any of my .22 rifles as trainers. I just enjoy shooting them for what they are. However, since I have the TSR200 Military Aperture sight on my 10/22 Ruger, I guess the MK II-FVT with the target peeps can act as a trainer for that rifle in a way?

Also, I kind of want an excuse to get back to shootin' paper, the A21, Palma Tryout Target, TQ4, TQ3/2, TQ3/5, and so on with the paper targets. I know some folks don't enjoy shooting paper - but I always have.

Any way, anyone else running peeps?

Re: Target Peeps?

I have 2 tech sighted 10-22s.
and unmentionable on this thread, an AR and M1 used in CMP matches.
Also a 9mm AR carbine of no use whatsoever!

I have the original Lyman micrometer peeps on my DCM Mossberg Mod 44 .22R. My Garand's GI peeps have been upgraded with the 1/2MOA knobs, etc., and .052" rear peep insert. The front is a complete hooded replacement with interchangeable inserts. I'm using the ring-style front insert. It's the bomb.

Greg

I had a set of #12 Weaver bases so put them on my Marlin 925 and decided to mount my Tasco Mil-Dot 6-24x42 scope on it (that I had on my Savage MK II-FVT) and see what it'll do on the Marlin.

I really want to do some work with the Peep Sights on the MK II-FVT, but I also like the idea of having access to my Mil-Dot scope without having to switch anything out on the same rifle.

I think I'll do some HV (Fed 510B - 1240 fps) testing with the Marlin and see just how far out I can get with that (yardage wise), while sticking with the Eley Sport - 1085 fps with the MK II-FVT.

May get some interesting results?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a set of #12 Weaver bases so put them on my Marlin 925 and decided to mount my Tasco Mil-Dot 6-24x42 scope on it (that I had on my Savage MK II-FVT) and see what it'll do on the Marlin.

I really want to do some work with the Peep Sights on the MK II-FVT, but I also like the idea of having access to my Mil-Dot scope without having to switch anything out on the same rifle.

I think I'll do some HV (Fed 510B - 1240 fps) testing with the Marlin and see just how far out I can get with that (yardage wise), while sticking with the Eley Sport - 1085 fps with the MK II-FVT.

May get some interesting results? </div></div>

Well scratch the above idea I had last night about putting the scope on the Marlin 925. Instead I decided to put it on the Lakefield MK-I as I have a set of 3/8 - 1" scope Rings.

I really didn't want that scope on the Marlin after thinking it over as I'm getting good short range (25 & 50 yard) Open Iron sight results with the 925 as it is now. Would hate to screw that up.

Got out to the Range this morning to start working with the Williams Peep Sight on my MK II-FVT [from 25 yards] and I was happy with the results once I got zeroed to where I thought I should be from 25 yards. Naturally it could always be better.

Using this rifle's bipod I shot from the bench. I used Eley Sport [1085 fps]. It was overcast and about 32 degrees - no wind. Here's the results;

Top Left Target - 15 shots - 150 of 150 score (no idea of X count- maybe 7?)
Top Right Target - 15 shots - 148 of 150 score (no idea of X count - mabey 5?)
Low Left Target - 5 shots - 50-5x score
Low Right Target - 5 shots - 50-4x score

[The Top Right Target could have went 149, but I marked it down to 148]

100_0545.jpg

Next trip I'll try 50 yards.

I did shoot a couple bowling pins off the top of the 100 yard target holder someone had left setting out there. I just centered the peep on the top of the neck of each one of them, and down they went with one shot each.

Kind of enjoy using the Peep Sight's.
smile.gif

Thanks DFOOSKING.

It's targets like the lower left one that keeps a feller coming back for more. I'm tempted to order some USBR Iron Sight benchrest targets from;

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/

and see how I can do at 25 & 50 yards on them. I doubt I'd do very well as I'm not a BR shooter - only because I refuse to put any rifle in a sled or machine rest. I'm just old school I guess.
smile.gif

Installed Williams WGRS peeps with a nice gold-dot front on my MKII FSS last summer. 25 and 50 yd. groups are *tight*, 100 yds not so much...

Learned to shoot in the USMC and really looked forward to a similar sight arrangement, but 20 years makes a difference. My eyeballs aren't what they used to be.

Will keep this setup just because it's the best way for my kids to learn, but my next rig will be scoped for longer-range shooting.

Had the kids out this week with four .22's. Two were Savage Mark II's one with a 2x-7x rimfire scope and one with a rear leaf/front post. One Marlin 2000 with its stock aperture and front disc. The last was my 541-S with a 4x-16x that I use for silhouette. I figure that they need to learn to shoot with all of the above to be the best shooters they can be. They had a gas blasting clay pigeons at 50 yards. Something about kids and instant feedback. I have apertures on my surplus military stuff, and my AR service and match rifles. I also have them on one of my 40x's and my 52D. Three of my hunting rifles have hunting peeps on them. If you know how to shoot with an aperture sight, you can amaze your friends as to how accurate they can be.

Fast Ed