• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Rifle- Caliber Question

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
Caliber Question…

I know I know….another one. But I am seriously stuck and can use some outside perspectives. I am primarily a hunter and am looking to get a rifle that will be pretty much only used for target work. My primary range is 200 yards but I would like to take some classes in the next couple of years that will push that limit out.

For the rifle, I am learning towards either the new ARC action or the Aero action. I will then drop a prefit barrel and chassis with it. The scope will be a mark 5 3-18 tmr 3. I will be using either Varget or IMR 4451 powder. The OAL with a folded stock must be less then 35 inches so I am assuming a 22-24 in barrel

So far I have found three calibers of interest. 224V, 6mm Arc, and 6 GT.
All data is book data from hodgdon reloading using varget
224V
2700 fps with 24grains and a 80 elm
500 Yards- 3.18 mrad wind- 1.08
1000 Yards- 11.03 mrad, win- 2.87

6mm ARC
2500 fps with 25 grain and a 108 ELD M (using 107 sie HPBT data)
500 yards- 3.06 mrad, wind .95
1000 yards- 10.05 mrad, wind 2.35

6mm GT
2900 fps with 34 grains and a 108 eld m (using 107 sie hpbt data)
500 yards- 2.56 mrad wind .84
1000 yards- 8.39 mrad wind 2.05

The GT is hands down the best performer but is taking more powder to get there. Most of my usage is inside 200 yards so there is no real difference. The 224V is nice because it is so cheap to shoot, but mags will pose a problem. Also it is just a supped up 223 essentially. The 6mm ARC looks to be a good comprise. But if I go GT I no longer have an oddball bolt face and the GT has plenty of support. But the ARC has commercial ammo support. So if I need to go shoot a class and I do not have time to reload I can buy enough for the class. Or maybe in a crazy world find a deal on ammo…

So my question is, are there any other calibers I should consider. Right now I am leaning towards the 6mm arc. I just do not know if I am missing anything...

I’d consider straight 223 for the range you’re shooting and you’re concerned about powder cost. Otherwise 6 GT or BR. 6ARC is the same as 6BR in a bolt gun and you can more easily find 6BR components

I was looking for something about the same. Paper and range toy with light recoil for my younger boys to shoot. I ended up with a 6BR. Shoots great, light recoil and 30gr of varget is getting 2776fps with the 109gr ELD-M. I was going to try to validate the BC at 950yds today but my kelstral says 8.1 Mils.

We mostly shoot 100-200yd but there are a few places we can set up steel and go longer.

I decided on the straight BR as there was a barrel on the shelf, but also was worried about feeding issues. I was hoping the slightly shallower shoulder would help feeding. And the 6gt is a 'tweener and worried about a few issues I read that it was having trouble feeding unless the rounds were placed right.

I’m only really going to get behind the new ARC action, that will allow you to shoot essentially anything you want.

So that means, just pick something and shoot it. Seriously. Especially since you will be reloading. And since you will be reloading, one factor in your consideration should be a round that has very high quality brass available- Lapua, Alpha, Peterson, etc

The grendel I picked up for my 9yo to hunt with also shoots a 123gr ELD-M at 2530fps. 3.7mil at 500yds and trans sonic at 990yds at 12.1mils.

6br is the answer. In a pinch, you can buy pretty expensive Lapua factory ammo.

If you want more readily available ammo like hornady, then go 6gt.

Both use varget, but 6br will use less and you won't notice a difference inside 500 (or at all mostly).

The data you provided on the 6 ARC sounds like it's for gas guns. Look more closely and you'll see that data for the bolt gun is 62ksi instead of the 55ksi for the gas gun.

Factory ammo is available for the ARC, and GT through Hornady.
Lapua has BR ammo available, although it's expensive.

If you're going to reload, go with the BR and use MDT magazines.
Easy button.

600 and in I'd say .223, my barrel is longer but my .223 hangs with my 6.5 CM to 600. If you're going further I'd say 6GT. Go with the ARC action.

Reactions: Lightning8
Lot of really great points in here….thanks

to clarify. Yes, that is gas gun and I can pick up some fps in the bolt action. @Mike Casselton hat tip

i know the arc is most Likely the better buy….but a) getting more action makers would be nice and b) most likely during a map weekend the aero action could be 20% off….

right now I am really thinking of 223 aI. I get good performance with heavies. Can fire 223 if need be. And plenty of support for it. Finally ai has less trimming requirements which is nice. I would look for some hornady or lapua brass. Then either go like the 88s or maybe 90 grain bullets. If I want to move to a bigger caliber, 6br looks to be the ticket…

Reactions: Newbie2020
I just had a 223ai built for the same reasons. I Need to fireform some brass and get loading. Looking at maybe 85.5s…

Straight .223. Shoot heavy bullets using varget, and you’ll be good to 800 yds.
^^
This.

Super easy to load for even off a D550 or other progressive.
Inexpensive, high quality components.
Barrel will last a loooooong time.
Can most certainly run factory match or issue/clone Mk262 style stuff if you don't or can't load.

I went full circle with the 223AI.
My personal opinion is that none of the modern parent cases (.30-06, .308Win, 223 Rem,) offer the big gains over the parent cartridge by going Ackley compared to the older base cartridges that had a lot of body taper and shallow shoulders.
P.O. Ackley lived in a time when metallic cartridges were still evolving in the early days of smokeless. Case design was mostly focused on getting the round into and out of the guns smoothly (lots of body taper and shallow shoulder angles). Early brass case manufacturing was also far easier to consistently draw and form those angles.

I think most of the velocity gains reported in current Ackley variants are not comparing pressure to pressure with the un-altered parent case. Me thinks they are running considerably higher pressure to get considerably higher velocity.

For me, the minor gain in speed wasn't worth fireforming and potentially dealing with a hard to run gun when hot and dirty.

My straight 223 is one of my favorite rifles because it just works with an appetite that is not picky.

While I am wordy with my choices above, you are in a really good position with several choices already listed that would be excellent with different pros and cons as well. You almost can't make a bad choice so have fun with it and don't stress over the choice too much!

Reactions: Newbie2020