• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target size for ELR/ULR

Smittiac

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2020
    CA
    What size target do you guys use? Also what grade steel for 1k+ to not punch through with 6.5CM and 300WM I know the WM is gonna smack it twice as hard but I also know AR500 is overkill that far away.

What size target do you guys use? Also what grade steel for 1k+ to not punch through with 6.5CM and 300WM I know the WM is gonna smack it twice as hard but I also know AR500 is overkill that far away.

You want to use AR500, but you don't need 1/2". I use 3/8" with my 300 PRC. I've never shot it closer than 850 yards, but at that distance it holds up perfectly fine. I've pitted (and worse) lesser steel at that range.

As for target size, I have two 12" x 20" that I've shot out to a mile (though the 12" gets really small in the wind), and I recently got a 24" round that I plan on using for longer distances.

I also have some 6" reactive poppers that I put at various ranges, but I have yet to shoot them with the 300. I'm worried about how they'll hold up :)

I have been using paper and have to drive out to verify I'm even hitting it at 800(farthest shot I can get right now). 800 on a 12" target is much more of a bitch than anticipated with 20+mph winds I've come to learn. I was thinking about just getting a couple full size IPSC targets from Caldwell for the 1k+ stuff should be plenty big right? I don't foresee anything past the mile marker for a bit, once the 300WM build is done my long term goal is 2 miles.

I have been using paper and have to drive out to verify I'm even hitting it at 800(farthest shot I can get right now). 800 on a 12" target is much more of a bitch than anticipated with 20+mph winds I've come to learn. I was thinking about just getting a couple full size IPSC targets from Caldwell for the 1k+ stuff should be plenty big right? I don't foresee anything past the mile marker for a bit, once the 300WM build is done my long term goal is 2 miles.

Shootsteel.com has a sale going on right now. I've gotten some good deals from them - my two IPSCs were clearance items from them. At the time, if I remember correctly, I got them for like $80 each.

But then I go look at Rose Metals and see this...

This is where I got my poppers from.

Reactions: Smittiac
    That far out either 1/4 or 3/8
    If target can move enough on impact or is angled definitely 1/4 it will ring louder

You can shoot at small spots on large targets
    On small targets you have to spot misses in terrain or with vapor when possible

To me get a large this target for distance maybe 24 x 24 or as big as you can

If longer range is new to you seeing where your hits are or looking at groups on steel will be helpful.....

We use 3/4 BigDogSteel IPSCs full size or 66% from 400-1600yds with both 308/300wm. The steel doesn’t break but occasionally the mounting breaks have issue. But that’s students shooting tens of thousands of 300wm/308. So I praise their durability at all ranges. At the ELR distances I would default to a hit indicator. Depending on wind mirage and whatnot determining an impact can be tough at and around a mile shot. Targets that are chained give more feedback but sometimes it’s a chain hit so these factors are worth considering shooting ELR.

Past 1000 I use 1/4 ar500
    Past a mile I use 1/4 regular steel.
    Most targets are moa to 1500 and my 1800 is 24”x24”
    At 2400 and beyond they are 28”x28”

For one or two targets, consider getting a ShotMarker system rather that a steel target. You can make up multiple frame sizes, make the aiming point whatever size you like and instantly have precise impacts shown on a tablet out past two miles. The caveat is the bullet must be supersonic, so that's the range limiting factor. Past that distance basicly any piece of steel you can hang up and paint will work, since you are at pistol velocities. Many of our ELR targets are mild steel, cut in three pieces of 18"x 30" and hung in tiers so you can see from the plate movement where you are vertically. Adding a Magnetospeed T1000 is also helpful, a camera system is best for spotting the actual impacts at those ranges.

Many of our ELR targets are mild steel, cut in three pieces of 18"x 30" and hung in tiers so you can see from the plate movement where you are vertically.

I'm not visualizing this. Do you have a pic you can post? Interested in seeing this setup.

I use 3/8” 12x20 at 1000 which is furthest distance I currently have, with a 6.5cm wish i had went 1/4”. Target size is good as long as you can spot misses, during summer when grass grows up and stuff misses can be hard to spot so I might put a bigger target for backup and just aim for small sections of the target.

2 Days ago @800 yards with 20+mph cross wind 12" circles. I have 1 8" 2 5" and a 33%PSC on the way but will probably pick up a full size IPSC for 1k-1 mile it's 30"x20". I do wanna see that triple target setup though sounds interesting.
    I don't have a spotting scope yet so I have to shoot, then drive up to verify.

I also got 2 wind socks so I can put one midwayish and 1 on the target stand.

We have rain till Sunday but I will be back out Monday to get some more 800 yard shots in unless I can find a longer spot out on that section of BLM.

Attachments

• 20201223_165615.jpg
      20201223_165615.jpg
      150.9 KB · Views: 59
    2 Days ago @800 yards with 20+mph cross wind 12" circles. I have 1 8" 2 5" and a 33%PSC on the way but will probably pick up a full size IPSC for 1k-1 mile it's 30"x20". I do wanna see that triple target setup though sounds interesting.
    I don't have a spotting scope yet so I have to shoot, then drive up to verify.

I also got 2 wind socks so I can put one midwayish and 1 on the target stand.

We have rain till Sunday but I will be back out Monday to get some more 800 yard shots in unless I can find a longer spot out on that section of BLM.

Since you're shooting out on BLM land, and also getting steel targets, you might like my DIY steel target stand that's suitable for hilly terrain.

but will probably pick up a full size IPSC for 1k-1 mile it's 30"x20".
    Thats a good idea. Once you get out there you cant really count on seeing splash from misses so I like a larger target where I can see the impact on paint. I spray red dots for a smaller refined aim point but makes it much less frustrating with a large plate to see what would have otherwise been a lost shot.

Choosing steel size depends on your goals and shooting conditions. If you want to challenge yourself and don't mind a lower hit percentage, go 1 MOA. If you want to have a reasonable hit percentage and have fun, go with something around 1.5 MOA. Where we shoot, we can have a good amount of desert and mountainous winds that blow in at over 45 mph. We usually won't shoot in those winds but have gone out and had conditions change from 8-15 mph to 25-35 mph. Because of this, we opt for the 1.5 MOA targets. There are times where we'll put out two targets; one of each MOA so we can get on the large target and then challenge ourselves on the small. With the cost of ammunition and components these days, we strive for a 50% hit ratio at targets 1 mile and farther. Some days this goal is achieved or exceeded; on others, we fall short.

We use the T1000 Target Indicators by Magneto Speed on all the targets and use 1/4" AR500 at 1500 and beyond. We shoot .338 Lapua, .338 Norma, 300 PRC and .300 Normas and have not ever dimpled the steel. I do think however that mild steel will work, especially past 2400 yards for most rifles.

We use 1/4" plate from the local steel supply. Size is a nominal 1.5 moa. A 16x24 piece is ~$25. Past 16x24, we use multiple plates side by side. We drill the holes for the support chains 1/3 the way down and in from the sides to counterweight the plate against itself. It makes for a target reactive enough to give some idea where it was hit.

At 1200 yards, the plate is consumable, but it'll last quite awhile with 300wm or 338 Lapua. Heavy dimples, but no penetration. Occasionally, a 375 Snipetac will put one through it. I got a 7mm 195 grain berger through it once, but the mv was 3325 fps. That 7 was harder on barrels than targets.

By 1450 yards, even the Snipetac is only dimpling the targets. At a mile, there is barely enough motion from a 6.5cm to detect hits, but you can see them.

1/4" to 3/8" AR500

Ive shot the 1/4" with a 300WM at 100 yds and it dents. Out farther its ok.

For longer distance I was thinking of building a tiled hanger for 9- 12" square plates. 3 rows of 3. The top row covers the next rows hangers which are a few inches behind the top. Second row covers the 3rd rows hanger and which are a few inches behind that. From the front it would look like a 36" square or 3x3 tiles.

At least thats how I picture it in my head. I make all my hangers from conduit and pipe parts from Home Depot so its very modular and custom.

Attachments

• 20200411_121654.jpg
      20200411_121654.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 59
    We use mostly JC Steel targets. I like the slotted hook hangers:

For ELR, we have a bunch of circular targets. On the large end, we have 20" and 30""

I've thought about getting a 40" for ULR.

If you can't leave targets in place, I will once again suggest the ShotMarker. Much simpler to move around and you don't need to keep going downrange to paint, you can store all the hits for further review as well.

The magnetospeed thing would be cool, just not in the budget at the moment. Can't leave stuff either cause someone would for sure steal it on public land.