• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

H2O Cop

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2007
Colorado
Is there a thread with various targets on it? If not, how about one so everyone can post various targets they use while shooting?? It'd be very helpful to some of us to see what everyone else is using out there. Just a thought...

Re: Target thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJFinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a thread with various targets on it? If not, how about one so everyone can post various targets they use while shooting?? It'd be very helpful to some of us to see what everyone else is using out there. Just a thought...</div></div>

Why would it be helpful?

Google search "free targets" and you'll get loads. It's where I get my targets from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJFinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a thread with various targets on it? If not, how about one so everyone can post various targets they use while shooting?? It'd be very helpful to some of us to see what everyone else is using out there. Just a thought...</div></div>

Why would it be helpful?</div></div>

So that someone like me, who's new to precision work, can see what type of targets people are using for various purposes. I'm used to CQB type targets so I don't have much info on what's a better tye of target to use for precision rifles. I have no problems with low-light targets or handgun/ M-4 stuff, but I was curious what kind of targets are best for sighting in rifles, various "game" targets, etc... Just a thought.

The only requirement for any targeting is a sight picture that can get some sort of relationship between the target and sight. For example, ARMY decimal targets have aiming bulls which are sized to allow for most to establlish a 6 o'clock or center of mass hold which can be seen as exact with an iron sight Service Rifle.

My comp targets are my own design, computer printed, and follow the 'aim small, miss small' concept. They consist mainly of bold black circles, medium gray filled fields, and black bordered white X/V rings. The primary emphasis is simplicity, challenge, and visibility of hits.

Load test 100yd targets are columns and rows of 1/2" bold black borders with a bright yellow center. One shot per dot, one row of four per load increment, five rows for five increments, twenty shots in all; that's all I test for any chambering at any one time.

First five increments are .5gr apart, second five increments are .1gr apart.

Any more would be wasteful; and these times do not support component waste.

If I can't get a load in 40 shots, I'm off my game; and if I can't get it in 50, I'm short on my needed fifty remaining bullets for a match loadup. Not efficient.

Greg

I like the diamond targets for shooting groups with the scope but it is important to make sure the top and bottom corners are vertical, I use a bit of string with a thumb tack and a small machine nut as my plumb line.