• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Target Wind Value

Theoverwatch

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2020
Africa
If you do, how are you assigning a wind value to a target? Are you just using a ballistic calculator to see how many inches a specific mph wind pushes the bullet or another method?
I wanting to build a chart for my gun and bullet that shows a size target at a distance is a certain MPH target in relation to wind.
thank you guys in advance.

Thank you. Really good Information but not what i'm looking for. This is a rifles MPH im looking for a target MPH. Ill read both over and see if I missed anything. Thank you for replying this will help in other ways.

Thank you. Really good Information but not what i'm looking for. This is a rifles MPH im looking for a target MPH. Ill read both over and see if I missed anything. Thank you for replying this will help in other ways.
So you're the guy who came up with the coveted [copy and paste] as a business plan?

gun mph relates to how the bullet is deflected off of its natural path by dynamic natural phenomena (WIND!)

DNE (doesn't equate to)
target mph (though I believe to be a useless number - but Ill give it a shot).

So the beginning, target size, would deal with angular size of target lets say 0.5mRad or like 1.7; we want to end up with a value that tells us WHAT? Sounds like what you're after is MOE - how much slop can shooter get away with and still impact target. Answer will be in the form of a circle (overlaid onto whatever shape the steel is). Vertically (depending on shooting position) generally speaks to gravity miscalc or poor application of fundies. horizontal can also be fundies but will reflect mainly wind miscalc.

So from here Im guessing that there's going to be way too many possible answers to make a field-useable table. I also don't like the term 'target mph' is basically your confidence in each shot - so are you saying there's a scenario where you see a target and mil it then range it and look at [formula327] say "yea im NOT shooting that target because its too small (according to target mph)." To get that answer for comps is dumb because everyone is shooting all avail targets to get most points - yes K/TYL and for hunting if you see what your hunting for your choices are [shoot it now] or [wait/sneak closer]. Im not doing competing SWOT analyses here - these are all more intuition type of things.

Point is this one has no point.

Find the wind deflection that moves the bullet off the target but you’ll need to know the wind deflection. I think the quick wind assigned mph is easiest but use whatever.

For example
308 175smk da 1000 4mph gun..
20in wide target, at 400m, 12mph moves the bullet 19in (3.963x1.2x4). Therefore that target would be 12mph target (rounded).

Obviously you’re holding an edge, and diameter of a group is angular, so it’s not perfect. But it’s a rough idea of what you’re able to get away with holding the edge of the target.