• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Targets closer than zero?

frost1234

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2023
snow
I am trying to figure something out.

I have a 100 yard zero. If I have a target that is 50 or 77 yards and I can't adjust my zero, do I use the upper or lower lines on the reticle?

No, for anything closer than your 100 yard zero while the scope is still set to zero you're going to hold over because of the height over bore and the fact that 100 yards is the peak trajectory. Use the subtensions below the crosshairs.
exactly this is why we zero at 100. everything is a holdover.

Reactions: Jrs9898
That depends on how big the acceptable hit zone is.

If its a 8" hit zone....aim dead on. If your threading a keyhole....you need to know your ballistic arc in relation to your sight height.

20230319_110938.jpg

Looking directly at the bull through the optic....do you need to hold over of hold under here to hit it?

Just because it's closer in doesn't necessarily mean it's a hold under.

Run your data on a ballistic solver. You will see where near and far zeros are and everything in between.

the reason we zero at 100y is BECAUSE everything is a dial up

yes technically its within some distance of 100y either side and that depends on too many variables

and a lot of the time it doesnt matter at safe distances. i.e. a 50y zero in rimfire and a 35y target. the Down measurement when converted to inches is half a bullet width at best