• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Targets

Matthew buck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
Alabama Mobile
What do y'all think the exploding targets on Top Shot are made from? Could it be something I could replicate at home or can you buy these targets?

Re: Targets

probably terranite (i doubt i spelled it right)

its cool stuff, totally legal, seriously

first time i saw it was FPS Russia or something like that on youtube, the kid talks in a bad accent and shoots every cool gun ever made, cannons, tanks, all the cool shit

Ha yeah I've seen quite a few of his videos. And I saw that stuff at a few gun shows. They sell it in large quantity on gunbroker. I thought that might be it. Now I just need to try to figur out how to make it into flat targets instead of just shooting the jugs.

Something to keep in mind with tannerite is that it requires your projectile to be moving at least 2000 fps at impact. So past 300 yards with most 223 or 308 loads it probably wont detonate.

DPRoberts is right, we have had issues setting them off at 200 yards with a 223 but we have set them off at 450 with a 308 but anything past that is really pushing it. also tried one at 1000 with a 50 and it didnt go off. but they are cool, we blew up a washer and dryer, a car, and come ole cabinets.

6 Dasher set it off at 400 yd. Have to try it farther out and see where the cut off point is.

Tannerite is the more common of the exploding targets. Red Targets I belive is another option that is more volatile and will go off at lower velocities. The basic mix is easily reproduced at home with readily avalible products just google homemade tannerite. As for making it flat you could try place it in a 1 gallon ziplock and taping it up so that its basically 1/2 inch thick 1 gallon ziplock bag sized panel. One thing to keep in mind the more ability this stuff has to build up pressure the bigger the boom usually so the plastic jar is big an ammo can is bigger using the same amount of explosive.

I remember seeing a video on YouTube about taking the .22 stuff, pouring it on tape and sealing it with more tape, then putting it on a board or something.

Supposedly it blew up at long ranges.

I am gonna try the home version of the stuff on some friends of mine. I will be shooting .223 but only at 100 yrds. Hopefully the ziplock bag will work... Another thing what exactly is setting it off? Just the friction? I mean I have some Incendiary rounds I could use if that makes a difference. Will just have to use my AR not my bolt gun.

Yeah search my posts I had a description of how to make the top shot targets with the .22 tannerite. You use packaging tape the tannerite and a piece of 2x10 wood. Its simple and works at almost any distance. Its makes the tannerite last a lot longer than just one shot and looks just like the targets on top shot. Im sure someone could come up with a better idea but it works just fine for me. I have been trying to get a video up on youtube on how to make it if I ever get a free day I will do it and post it up for everyone.