• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cmb1025

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
Looking for suggestions for a edc taser that packs a punch and isn't low quality.

Here's my suggestion, don't.

Get a CCW, and don't use it unless your life is on the line. 'less lethal' tools like the taser have too much gray area and liability attached to them.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze for the average citizen IMO. It's usually not worth it for LE unless you have lethal cover right with you.

Consider that. In order for LE to use it you're already at a high bar AND need lethal cover to employ it effectively.

Whatever situation you're imagining it's going to solve, imagine a way to avoid it altogether, you're better off.

Only reason for a private person to own a TASER is if you spend a lot of time in IL, your out of state CCW is not recognized, and you can’t carry your firearm.

IL won’t honor lots of CCW permits. They also used to have a blanket ban on TASER possession under the Unlawful Use of Weapons statute, even after they began to issue CCW permits (and the legal wording also does not allow the carry of TASERs under CCW permitting).

People V Webb (2019) determined that the blanket ban on carrying TASERs was unconstitutional. That portion of the Unlawful Use of Weapons statute was determined to be severable from the rest of the UUW statute, so simple TASER possession is (currently) completely unregulated and legal without any permit for any person (except prohibited persons/felons. Working from memory here and I don’t remember any other restrictions?).

I think you would be better off with OC spray if you are going to go for LTL, for a defensive situation where emotions are high and the Fight or Flee response has kicked in a Taser is not the best as you only have 1 shot.

Reactions: Anb618
That’s not totally true. Tasers can still be used to drive stun even with probes discharged and not in contact with anyone. OC or CS sprays are way less effective on people than ECDs and cross contamination is much higher, and you’re screwed in certain weather conditions. Tasers also have built in lights that will at least give you something and the laser definitely has a psychological component.

Tasers are mostly used to subdue someone to take them into custody. The last thing you want in a defensive weapon is to have someone stuck to you which is what you have to do to give the five second ride that will temporally disable someone. After it’s over they can and most likely will get back up. You could drive stun but that isn’t very effective and that technique is mostly used for pain compliance. If you want to carry less lethal, OC spray is a good choice. Maybe an expandable baton but those require a lot more training than you would think.

Take some classes and learn how to kick some ass. Intermediate weapons are not worth the hassle for someone who is interested in self defense.

Here's my suggestion, don't.

Get a CCW, and don't use it unless your life is on the line. 'less lethal' tools like the taser have too much gray area and liability attached to them.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze for the average citizen IMO. It's usually not worth it for LE unless you have lethal cover right with you.

Consider that. In order for LE to use it you're already at a high bar AND need lethal cover to employ it effectively.

Whatever situation you're imagining it's going to solve, imagine a way to avoid it altogether, you're better off.
Don't need a ccw I live in vt. Its not for people but for dogs. Either for my wife walking the dog or when I'm running. Pepper spray is an option also.

I'm sure its my own fault for being so vague but your not always just defending against an person to person attack which most the replies suggested. I'm not going to just kill my neighbors dog unless its an extreme situation. Though I think it would be warranted just not worth the headache of letting off a couple rounds in a neighborhood and potentially having it confiscated. Thanks for the replies.

Cattle prod.

If you worried about dogs, last thing I’d do is stick my hand within inches of one while using a handheld taser and get bit

Cattle prod.

If you worried about dogs, last thing I’d do is stick my hand within inches of one while using a handheld taser and get bit
I noticed the pulse one can be fired and used hand held though its 200.

It is very difficult to get a good hit on a dog with a taser. They don’t stand still for long and you have to turn the taser sideways and be close to mitigate the probe spread. Also you don’t know what the dog will do after the ride is over. If you are set on an electronic device I would carry something you could spark since the arcing noise may scare the dog off.

Really a blast of OC is hard to beat for dogs.

Its for dogs when I'm running or the wife walking without me.
You're moving into askhole (it's a real term) territory here.

Drive stunning is less effective because it just hurts, and only hurts between the contacts, you don't get any of the immobilization effect that a taser is famous for.

I'm not talking out of my ass, I have to carry one every day, I've used it. It's not a good idea for what you're concerned about.

The dog is already going to be biting you, or your wife is already going to be a victim of an assault before the dog or attacker are close enough to even attempt a drive stun...

Which will only piss them off more because the pain is localized, doesn't immobilize them at all, and they're unlikely to hold still for you to get good contact in the first place.

As somebody above suggested, walk into a police supply store and buy a can of sabre OC gel in a can, that will work on dogs and bad guys before they get on you, or your wife, and will provide a measure of incapacitation to allow you or her an opportunity to escape.

A taser for a civilian is fucking stupid, period.

Reactions: Anb618
You're moving into askhole (it's a real term) territory here.

Drive stunning is less effective because it just hurts, and only hurts between the contacts, you don't get any of the immobilization effect that a taser is famous for.

I'm not talking out of my ass, I have to carry one every day, I've used it. It's not a good idea for what you're concerned about.

The dog is already going to be biting you, or your wife is already going to be a victim of an assault before the dog or attacker are close enough to even attempt a drive stun...

Which will only piss them off more because the pain is localized, doesn't immobilize them at all, and they're unlikely to hold still for you to get good contact in the first place.

As somebody above suggested, walk into a police supply store and buy a can of sabre OC gel in a can, that will work on dogs and bad guys before they get on you, or your wife, and will provide a measure of incapacitation to allow you or her an opportunity to escape.

A taser for a civilian is fucking stupid, period.
Askholes? I appreciate any help but you made two different points of view to basically say the same thing that taser are a dumb idea. Ok got it message received thanks.... I guess.

You came on asked for advice, you don't like the advice, and you're arguing in favor of the idea people are telling you is a bad idea: that's the definition of the term 'askhole'

You don't have to get butthurt about it, just take it for what it is: an answer to your question from people who know more about it than you do. It's not a good fit.

Pepper spray, specifically the new stuff that comes out as a gel or foam, is better for what you're concerned with and less likely to land you in trouble in terms of legality or liability.

If you want to ignore all of that then good luck, sport!