• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Taurus PT1911

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
Im looking at the PT1911 for a carry gun. I like the Springfield Operator, but for the price the PT1911 might be a decent alterative. I have several friends that have them and love them. I have shot several and the all seem to be good weapons but I just havent decided yet. I do know I want a 1911 with a rail on it for my light.

Anyone out there that had a great or horrible experience? I want to hear them all to be able to decide better.

Also if you have any recomended upgrades/accesories pics would be great.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Taurus PT1911

you have "several" friends that have them... you've personally shot "several"... but you're on here asking people you don't know.... really?.... nut up and make a decision, need us to tell you to wipe your ass too?

The reason I ask is I have had problems and heard more about other taurus pistols. Just wondering if there is anything out there to be aware of with the PT1911.

No problems with mine with a ton of factory and handloads through it.
Can;t beat it for the price, it is not a kimber, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.

As for problems, I have been very lucky with all my Taurus pistols, no need for customer service yet, but I hear they can be somewhat slow.

madd0c

my gunsmith said it all...the only thing wrong with the tarus is the person shooting it...after purchasing one i think like him...mine shoots very well

The only issue's I've ever seen with Taurus are with the polymer frame pistols, and they've all been small issues a competent gunsmith could fix in less then an hour.

Personally I own two Taurus .38's, a PT92, and a PT1911. With the exception of PT92, they all go bang when they're supposed to and work flawlessly. The PT92 need a new extractor spring, otherwise it's the same.

All Taurus' guns are shit and I wouldn't take one if given to me.

Additionally, the PT1911 has a safety that messes with the trigger pull, and if it fails, your gun won't go bang.

If you have to have a cheap 1911, get an RIA, STI Spartan or a cheap Springer.

Stay away from Taurus. It looks like a bargain, but the sting of shitty quality lasts long after the satisfaction of a low price.

Personally, I think that STI Spartan is an amazing value for what it is.

Let's compare:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/85/products_id/17285

vs.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/sti_spartan.htm

Do you really have to ask, for a hundred bucks?

This even neglects to mention that you can order your Spartan with different sights, trigger work, or anything else you want from Bob @ Brazos Custom or Dave @ Dawson Precision.

As I see it, you'd have to be a fool to buy the Taurus over an STI Spartan for $100. That's less than the cost of even a few hundred rounds of ammo.

STI has a lifetime warranty and you can call and talk to a real person in Texas if you have a problem. Taurus also has a lifetime warranty and you can call and talk to some operator and hope for some satisfaction.

You people are free to think what you want, but I can't imagine living in a world where the differences between these two guns isn't worth $100. And even if I did, I'd much rather have a RIA than a Taurus.

In fact, I've yet to see anything decent come from Taurus at all. Any product that sells on price alone is usually worth what you pay for it.

Others are free to disagree but this is my 2 cents. Nothing in the entire Taurus line is worth what they're asking for it, despite the low price.

At $3-400 it'd be a bargain, although I still wouldn't buy it. At $525 it's a complete and utter ripoff.

And carry and trust my life on it? You'd have to be kidding.

Taurus pistols are not shit by any means. I have kimbers and I have taurus's. A taurus is not a cosmetically clean as a Kimber. But when it comes to functionallity and realabilty, I have no problems what so ever with the Taurus and I dont mind using it as a gun that gets run through the 3 gun course where it gets drug thru the dirt, mud and gets scratched up. If it was my Kimber I would be pissed to scratch it up. I say there is nothing wrong with Taurus. Usually you get what you pay for, so the STI would be maybe a little better, but since I dont have any experiance with that gun, I would say it would be mostly paying for the name. Just my Opinion

I like mine. Replaced the mim safety and a few other little bits, duracoated it and now just shoot the snot out of it. More reliable than my Springfield LW Operator. I have a RIA as well, it is not a bad gun at all if you just want a cheap 1911. Maybe I got lucky, but my Taurus is probably the most reliable 1911 I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Taurus' guns are shit and I wouldn't take one if given to me.
</div></div>

While I have zero experience with the PT1911

I will say the above statement is not accurate.

I have seen/owned/shot some nice taurus revolvers....

I have also shot a slicked up taurus 92F copy that was very nice....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Taurus' guns are shit and I wouldn't take one if given to me.

Additionally, the PT1911 has a safety that messes with the trigger pull, and if it fails, your gun won't go bang.

If you have to have a cheap 1911, get an RIA, STI Spartan or a cheap Springer.

Stay away from Taurus. It looks like a bargain, but the sting of shitty quality lasts long after the satisfaction of a low price.

Personally, I think that STI Spartan is an amazing value for what it is.

Let's compare:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/85/products_id/17285

vs.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/sti_spartan.htm

Do you really have to ask, for a hundred bucks?

This even neglects to mention that you can order your Spartan with different sights, trigger work, or anything else you want from Bob @ Brazos Custom or Dave @ Dawson Precision.

As I see it, you'd have to be a fool to buy the Taurus over an STI Spartan for $100. That's less than the cost of even a few hundred rounds of ammo.

STI has a lifetime warranty and you can call and talk to a real person in Texas if you have a problem. Taurus also has a lifetime warranty and you can call and talk to some operator and hope for some satisfaction.

You people are free to think what you want, but I can't imagine living in a world where the differences between these two guns isn't worth $100. And even if I did, I'd much rather have a RIA than a Taurus.

In fact, I've yet to see anything decent come from Taurus at all. Any product that sells on price alone is usually worth what you pay for it.

Others are free to disagree but this is my 2 cents. Nothing in the entire Taurus line is worth what they're asking for it, despite the low price.

At $3-400 it'd be a bargain, although I still wouldn't buy it. At $525 it's a complete and utter ripoff.

And carry and trust my life on it? You'd have to be kidding. </div></div>
the OP is talking about this weapon...note he talks about a rail

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details...dcrumbseries=19

while i agree with you that STI is likely the best 1911 made......they will never offer a 1911 with a rail for under $700 like taurus......i have STI's and they are great....i also have the taurus in question....and after spending $15 fixing the safety it is just as reliable as the STI's i own....just harder to find a light bearing holster for..for the record.....if you are running a taurus 1911 with a rail....get the safariland 6280 for the springfield XD 5 inch with whatever light you are running....thats what safariland told me to do when no 1911 holster worked for the taurus...

bench

I Bought a Kimber and my good friend bought a Taurus, while I like mine better, he paid $500 for his and it was a good deal & it has worked very well for him.

That being said, after taking his Taurus 1911 to a tactical handgun shooting class for a couple days when he was done, he did want to take it to a smith to get about $100 worth of work done on smoothing things up a bit as he did run into a few stoppages after lots of rapid fire.

You can always have a railed mounted to it after purchase. The STI is a lot better quality for the money. I think you are selling yourself short by limiting it by the rail. Better yet, learn to shoot with the light in your weak hand. The Taurus may not be a piece of S*%t, but it will never be confused with STI quality.

Josh

I like the STI's also, but as mentioned they do not offer one with a rail for under a grand. So I guess if it's not a Taurus then it would have to be a Springfield.

Thanks for the note about the safariland holster tip, I have a XD also and they are great.

sreid,

Again, you can also put an aftermarket rail on it if you never plan to remove it or you will have unsightly holes in the dust cover. Nearly all smiths will tell you that if you can get one with a rail, then get it. If not, and you don't have the funds to go and get a quality 1911, put the rail on. The Taurus may be fine for now, but I can almost guarantee you will desire something of better quality later on.

1. Get the STI or Springfield (if you can take the cost)
2. Get the light rail for the STI

Novak Light Rail

Josh

Good luck finding a variety of holsters to fit that railed PT1911. The Taurus rail guns won't fit the holsters that most railed 1911s do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squirrelsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck finding a variety of holsters to fit that railed PT1911. The Taurus rail guns won't fit the holsters that most railed 1911s do. </div></div>
safariland 6280 for the springfield xd 5" with whatever light you are running.....fits perfect..

bench