• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tavor 7 & Baffle Strikes: searching for insight, ITT you can laugh at me

AerialView72

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
IN
www.instagram.com
Searching for insight on an incident I had with my Tavor 7 paired with an RC2 7.62 which in turn led to a baffle strike. (haha he bonked his can what an idiot)

The Tavor 7 barrel has that locking nut that is used with its muzzle devices which causes a lot of "run out"? Not sure if that is the correct term but a lot of threads left in the muzzle device that don't thread onto the barrel due to having to engage the locking nut to time and tighten the muzzle device to the barrel. The muzzle device used was the surefire socom brake used to quick attach the RC2 7.62.

So I fit the brake to the gun and zero an eotech. Works great. I then shoot several subs (15-20) through the suppressor landing them on target to a steel plate. Everything working as intended, no problems. Then I load up some sellier and bellot NATO 147gr. First supersonic round misses off target and my friend and I are perplexed. Inspecting the can we notice the obvious but small mark of brass from the projectile, we can see the last two baffles and the end cap have barely been struck by the brass leaving the obvious mark on the endcap.

Now right before this cartridge was fired we were changing the gas settings on the Tavor 7. As per the manual the gas system is designed to be adjusted by sticking a 7.62 cartridge in and turning the gas adjuster/key(?) to the desired setting. Now when I had first received the gun I tested this with the same s&b nato 147 grain ammo and actually separated the projectile from the cartridge. Not the best system imo.

So did I accidently cant or angle the projectile while doing this, in turn making the projectile all *warbly* causing the baffle strike? Or was this caused by the run out of the muzzle brake not being able to be threaded onto the barrel as much as perhaps an AR10 barrel? I've heard rumor of this runout being a potential for baffle strikes. I do have a couple RC2 cans and have never attached them incorrectly, it would be hard to do so imo.

Out of frustration we continued to shoot the 147 nato round after re-attaching the can and inspecting the unfired rounds. We continuously missed the target we were using to zero. The surefire rep who I spoke with said this means we were still having baffle strikes if we were still missing. I'm a little lost and searching for insight. All the subs ran fine and hit on target, none of the supers hit and we couldn't even tell where they were landing. Is the RC2 not meant for the Tavor? Should some sort of direct thread can be used instead?

Any insights, thoughts, or jokes welcome below.

So....You need a witness rod. 100%. Don't leave home (aka put your can on a new gun) without it.

Buy one now , get use out of it forever.

No other advice to give. I have seen bad SF muzzle devices and plenty of bad muzzle threads. Plenty. Without a witness rod you have no chance of figuring this out.

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
I know this is an old thread but there is a company in Texas that makes a barrel shoulder washer for a Scar17. The Scar17 shoulder and the Tavor7 shoulder are very similar and it works perfectly in the Tavor7. Anyhow, I've run that washer with my suppressor and never had a problem. Using the locking nut to time your muzzle device is usually a recipe for disaster when you attach the suppressor.

Reactions: TheOE800