• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tax on an FFL Transfer

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
I was wondering if anyone has ever been charged tax on an FFL transfer when purchasing a gun from an out of state source? I think this is a new thing in Maryland and I'm just trying to see if this is happening else where.

Re: Tax on an FFL Transfer

The guy I use here charges a flat 25$ per transfer

I found a local shop that does it for $25, when all others jumped from 35-45 to 75-85.

Colorado doesn't require the dealer to collect tax on the transfer as the transfer is a service.

However, according to Colorado law, you are required to pay tax on anything you purchase from another state. Some businesses have been hit for purchasing office equipment online and then when the state found out, they made them pay tax on the stuff.

That being said, nobody I know is paying tax on the value of the guns they are having shipped here.

I guess I just need to get out of this state as soon as I can. Maryland sucks.

Technically, I have never understood why states get away with this. If I live in state A, and you live in state B, and I send you money to buy something from you in state B, didn't the sale take place in state B? Isn't it like I went to state B and bought it from you? If paid you in state B by sending the money there, it would seem that that is where the sale has taken place. Maybe state B can charge me sales tax, but I do not see how state A can, except by the kind of doublespeak we see so often these days (such as "x" is an assault weapon, because it has been "declared" so by some law).

I only pay a $20.00 transfer fee, no tax.

Here is what my FFL holder told me and emailed me.

"Bob,

The state expects either the out-of-state seller or the buyer to take care of the use tax. We only collect the transfer fee. Thanks."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone has ever been charged tax on an FFL transfer when purchasing a gun from an out of state source? I think this is a new thing in Maryland and I'm just trying to see if this is happening else where. </div></div>

Some states tax services, I am not sure what the tax code in MD is. Some states are also trying to collect sales tax on internet sales, and some douche bag dealers try to charge a percentage of the sale price on top of the transfer fee.

The Comptrollers office is clamping down on dealers. If they do a transfer - they collect the tax.

Good luck

Jerry

Yes, WA is charging a "use tax" on firearms transferred into the state. They even tax the shipping.

Ask me how I know.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, WA is charging a "use tax" on firearms transferred into the state. They even tax the shipping.

</div></div>

These gun stores, excuse me, are ignorant OR taking advantage of people. More the latter I think.

And again, I live in WA and don't pay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The state expects either the out-of-state seller or the buyer to take care of the use tax. We only collect the transfer fee. Thanks.""</div></div>

This is something thats coming from the state. I don't think there is any ill-will on the side of the shops.

I now stand corrected. Just picked up a rifle from my fav ffl and he had to charge tax. He just received a letter from the State a few days ago.

Looks like I'll start shipping to Oregon now.