• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Tax Stamp photo on cell phone

Is a gun range legally liable in any way to "monitor" equipment being used on their premises? I ask as I have one range an they are hell bent on asking for paperwork every damn time I go out there (SBR and silencer). I'm in Texas.

First time I told them no and I didn't have it with me anyway, literally first time shooting with the can. I now carry a copy in every gun and range bag I have but I'm just tired of being asked, especially when I've been going there for years. Last time, the older than dirt RO asked TWICE if I were ATF. I'm not. But what if I was? Just seems strange like maybe the range got in trouble for someone using a rifle or component that wasn't "legal". I go there as it's low cost, fairly close and open on Mondays when I often have time to go.

Why would they give a crap?

Money will come from the tax slave.

At the least it should come from the officers retirement funds and or the departments budget.
How does the department afford the items in their budget?

I just carry photo copies of my forms. Never been asked to see forms. Guess there is always a first time for everything.

Reactions: USK308
Is a gun range legally liable in any way to "monitor" equipment being used on their premises? I ask as I have one range an they are hell bent on asking for paperwork every damn time I go out there (SBR and silencer). I'm in Texas.

Is this a private business? If so, yeah, they can generally ask for proof that your NFA shit is legal, or that you're wearing clean underwear, or any number of other things. Are they liable for letting someone shoot an illegal NFA item? Probably not, but I'm guessing they don't want to risk a six-figure legal bill to fight that battle against an overly-excited prosecutor.

What are you getting at ?

Currently when they fuck up they suffer no consequences
Their entire budget, along with the retirement fund, is still paid with tax monies from the tax slaves. If there were consistent deductions for fuck-ups, they will just put that in the budget.

I carry photos of my can stamps and I've never been asked to see them. I carry a photo copy of my stamp for my machine gun because I figure there's a much better chance they'll ask for that.

Reactions: MadDuner
I would share my personal "papers" with a LEO, but an RO, F no. They can eat shit, and sand, or otherwise go F themselves.
ROs don’t have a legal right to ask you to show them paperwork. I believe the federal regs say that you have to make them available when requested by an ATF agent. They are the one that enforce NFA devices. There is some difference of opinion as to whether that means on demand or you make an appointment to provide them copies. The later might result in your item being siezed until you provid them the paperwork and then good luck getting them to return the item because it was used in the “investigation of a potential crime”.

I keep a copy on my phone and a paper copy in the rifle case. Fortunately I live in a friendly state and hunt in a friendly state and no really cares if you have a suppressor. I was stopped returning from a night hunt one time by a warden and had my suppressed rifle unloaded in the front of the truck. She didn’t care about it, only wanted to know if I had registered the properties for night hunting Which is a good thing if you get pulled over by a LEO or warden. You then have a case number from the DNR showing that you are hunting and not poaching.

Reactions: lash
DEAD THREAD.jpeg

living in az has its bright spot with nfa. never once has a LE asked for paperwork

long ago i was hammering away with my mini uzi full auto at a known shooting spot and some kids where off playing with home made pipe bombs.

some other shooters got all flared up and bugged out. i was waiting for someone to loose a hand or face.

they mist have called it in because a sheriff shows up while i’m dumping mags. he comes over to me and i offered my paper work. he couldnt have cared less , he wanted to know where the little villians where, they had all ready bugged out.

i showed him where the dud pipe bomb was. he just asked me to leave so they could dispose of it in peace.

that wasnt my first encounter with the sheriff and nfa either. i know other nfa owners here that have had the same experience.

If you're making pipe bombs just to set off by themselves it's best to use ABS as it doesn't create small shrapnel like PVC. Using metal for recreation is just stupid.

i think they were white pvc pipes with duct taped on caps. lol. the kids were maybe late teens.
With millions of acres of desert available… why would they do that where other people are?