• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taxes on person to person firearm sales?

Ghost1941

Resident Gun Guy
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2009
Michigan
So apparently you have to pay state sales tax in Washington (which I believe is 8.7% right now) on person to person firearm purchases?

Anybody familiar with this?

I searched around to see if anybody else had experienced this but can't find anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Taxes on person to person firearm sales?

Unless they require some kind of paperwork on a resident to resident transfer, I don't see how they have any means of of knowing about it.

Out of state purchases, has to go through the FFL... and the FFL told me I have to pay state sales tax. Just never heard of this before and when I bought my other one a few years back I didn't pay tax. It was through the same FFL.

Well, at least now we know it's an out of state purchase.
whistle.gif

Heh, should have mentioned that. Still, last one was as well. Is this something new across the country, or just here?

I'd ask the FFL to cite the specific code that applies and then go look it up for yourself.
I can't see where he'd be obligated to collect the tax either way, but Washington is getting weirderer and weirderer.

I've done several lately and there's been no mention of sales tax on the part of the FFL's.

Probably just another way for a state to try and collect taxes on items purchased out of state, since they can not get Washington residents to honor the law they will force FFL businesses to collect it for them.

I have known two FFL's to require this and both times it was a scam. He is likely just pocketing the cash, like the others were doing. Turned one in to the state and he got charged for it.

Sorry guys, ghost1941's FFL is correct. I'm El Presidente of our local gun club, and for years we've had a club member with an FFL to do no-cost transfers for members. Earlier this year we received a letter from the Great Economically Screwed-Up State of Washington informing us that there is now sales tax due on any weapons transferred from out-of-state to a state resident. So yes, there is sales tax due IF the transferor is in another state, as Ghost1941's second post states.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have known two FFL's to require this and both times it was a scam. He is likely just pocketing the cash, like the others were doing. Turned one in to the state and he got charged for it. </div></div>

Hmm... I'm going to call around and see if this is on the up and up. I'd never heard of it before either.

*EDIT*

Thanks a lot 1911. I called another FFL and they verified it as well. Didn't bother asking too many questions aside from whether it was legit or not.

Thanks for the input guys.

I had also noticed they did this on my online GNC purchase as well. I guess they're set on getting their money now!

This is the same state that just dropped the penalty tax rate on businesses that don't pay their tax on time from a max of 7% to a max of 1% to make it 'fairer' for those that DON"T pay their taxes on time... A fifth-grader could run this state, compared to the dozens of highly-educated people that are screwing it up so badly.

1911fan

So if the firearm was a gift then sales tax of whatever percent of $0 is $0.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, at least now we know it's an out of state purchase.
whistle.gif
</div></div>

I dont see how they can get you for sales tax on something purchased out of state. Thats the reason I wont buy straight from Larue in TX since I have to pay Tax which is usually a bit more than the shipping charges.

"So if the firearm was a gift then sales tax of whatever percent of $0 is $0."

True...

From what I've been reading, websites are not obligated to collect taxes from online purchases (typically). However, you as the individual, purchasing items online should be keeping track and then paying the tax due. Apparently the states aren't really that strict with enforcing the tax but I'm wondering if you could get audited for that money due?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9919420-7.html

ON vehicles - if you purchase a vehicle in WA STate that is from out of state you get charged the Kelly Blue Book value of the vehicle - so if you are in fact being charged it should be based on gun value - not cost.

It would not suprise me, I'd call my FFL as he is all knowing but I'm at work and he's hard to get off the phone LOL

i purchased a rifle out of tx not even a yearago and didnt have to pay any sales tax in wa when did this go through ?

On the out of state vehicles, bring them in state, "gift" it to your wife, no sales tax when registering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carlinb625</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i purchased a rifle out of tx not even a yearago and didnt have to pay any sales tax in wa when did this go through ? </div></div>

just this month i think

Will most likely be termed a use tax and not a sales tax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost1941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So apparently you have to pay state sales tax in Washington (which I believe is 8.7% right now) on person to person firearm purchases?

Anybody familiar with this?

I searched around to see if anybody else had experienced this but can't find anything else.

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

The only way they hit you on this with used products (cars, boats, atvs, etc) is registration. To register it in your name, you have to go through the DOL who then hits you for the "use tax" which is at the same rate as sales tax in your county.

How are they going to determine there has been a personal firearm transfer/sale if there are no licensing requirements for guns (there aren't)...?

not to mention, private sales are exempt from sales tax. Otherwise just about everyone in this state would be a criminal.

Here's the info on use tax, it's for vehicles.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/usetax.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost1941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of state purchases, has to go through the FFL... and the FFL told me I have to pay state sales tax. Just never heard of this before and when I bought my other one a few years back I didn't pay tax. It was through the same FFL. </div></div>

The only thing he could get sales tax out of you for would be the fee that he charged (transfer fee) since it is in WA. Otherwise, he has no legal ability to charge you sales tax on the purchase you already made. If any tax was due, it would be due at the time of purchase.

The purchasing transaction had nothing to do with him, it's not his obligation to recieve the tax for it.

He had the paperwork for it, apparently they got wind of it around February time frame and then it just went into effect recently. It's not the state sales tax from what I gather, just the same rate for a "use tax". If you're going from person to person within the state I don't believe it applies, only on out of state sales.

Washington State is tax hungry, this year they hit me with an additional $10 tonnage fee on my tabs,,, for my ZRX1100 Motorcycle,,,, Tonnage Fee (FU fee that's what it is)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys, ghost1941's FFL is correct. I'm El Presidente of our local gun club, and for years we've had a club member with an FFL to do no-cost transfers for members. Earlier this year we received a letter from the Great Economically Screwed-Up State of Washington informing us that there is now sales tax due on any weapons transferred from out-of-state to a state resident. So yes, there is sales tax due IF the transferor is in another state, as Ghost1941's second post states.

1911fan </div></div>

Sales Tax on the Transfer fee?

pat m hit the nail on the head wa st is tax hungry . they just doubled my buisiness licence to . it wouldnt surprise me at all.