• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC suppressor

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Will be purchasing my first can and I am looking at the 338 ultra and the new Dominus CB can. I am not sure which way to go as I have never owned a can. The majority of use will be for hunting (25 saum and other standard calibers that are non magnums).
I see a lot of folks buying the 338 ultra and using it for everything and have good reports, just wondering what the negatives are of having such a large can at the end of a barrel compared to the Dominus can

I'm willing to trade a few decibels to save a few ounces. Keep in mind the weight is way out there at the end of your barrel and will greatly affect balance.

Ultra 9 would be the middle ground between those two in weight, length, performance, and price.

The Dominus-CB will be 2.7" shorter than an Ultra 9, and just a little bit louder (ie, halfway between an Ultra 7 and 9 for dB reduction).

The 338 Ultra is about the same diameter was the Dominus, but it's 4.1" longer than the Dominus-CB version. The 338 Ultra is a lot quieter.

The Dominus-CB will be 2.7" shorter than an Ultra 9, and just a little bit louder (ie, halfway between an Ultra 7 and 9 for dB reduction).

The 338 Ultra is about the same diameter was the Dominus, but it's 4.1" longer than the Dominus-CB version. The 338 Ultra is a lot quieter.
Which can would you chose between the Dominus and the 338 ultra? I am only getting one can to use on multiple calibers some of which may include short magnums for hunting, weight is not an issue, I am looking for pin pint accuracy on my bolt guns

FWIW I hunt with a 10” can that’s about the same weight as an ultra and plan on buying a dominus as the pound on the end of my barrel annoys me.

Which can would you chose between the Dominus and the 338 ultra? I am only getting one can to use on multiple calibers some of which may include short magnums for hunting, weight is not an issue, I am looking for pin pint accuracy on my bolt guns

He doesn’t have to choose, but you do.

No mention of accuracy differences between the two; I wouldn’t expect there to be.

338 Ultra has been in the supply pipeline longer so you would likely find one of those more quickly.

The choice is yours and yours alone. Good luck.

I have a Ultra 9 coming to me...eventually... and I am going to hunt with it. I thought it was a good balance between all the factors. I also won’t use it on anything fully auto.

I was on the tbac website yesterday looking at the dominus, ultra 9 and 7 as I’m waiting on my 338 ultra hopefully not much longer, but it shows there cans to be almost 1-1 1/2 years from getting serial numbers then sent out unless you can find a stocking dealer that has some that sucks that would be a very long wait for a can.

We're shipping cans daily. It's just that dealers (mostly) have put in a lot of orders to make sure they get enough to sell. You should be able to use our Availability tool to locate what you need. Or email us and we can point you in a good direction to find one

this definitely not a dig at you but I tried this a few months ago when buying mine and never found one. My sniper team just got the go ahead to get two more and currently can’t find any?

I'd certainly go Dominus between those two if going on a hunting rig. Someone mentioned pinpoint accuracy. Shot this group with my 19" barreled 6.5x47 with a UL7 on it Saturday. This was 3 at 1000 yards. At 100 it shoots 5 under .3". The Dominus sounds even better.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
You can email me/us what you need and we can see what we can find. Mile High is our LE distributor for agencies, etc, and they usually have pretty good availability

I tried to pm you through here and am not allowed. What's the best email to use to contact you?

I have a Dominus on order with 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 brakes so I can use in on my AR and a lightweight bolt gun. I have a 30P-1 and a Harvester, and always wanted an Ultra 7 or 9. The Dominus is a good compromise and it will handle a future AR pistol build.

Hunting? Dominus or Ultra 7 no doubt. The 338 U/USR is an amazing can - but it is long and while not "heavy" perse, its definitely heavier than other options.
Now, do you want to hunt w/ it, but also lie prone bang steel? Paper punch off a bench? Do you want ultimate suppression? Any chance you'll eventually own a 338, 300 norma or other? Then the Ultra is your jam.

I couldn't make up my mind and the Dominus wasn't out last year and went with a ultra 7 for hunting and 338 ultra for the range.