• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Ultra 338 Gen 2 SR vs Ultra 9??

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    So I have a TBAC ultra 9 gen 1 and omega 36m as my larger rifle suppressors. I’m about to pull the trigger on a TBAC 338 ultra gen 2 SR.

Just wondering if the 338 vs the ultra 9 is worth it. I’ve read lots of threads and watched about every TBAC video on them. Obviously a camera makes it hard to hear the comparison and I’m not a decibel major so I’m not sure what mid 120’s vs 110 truly sounds like

Is the 338 size worth the suppression and any reason not to go with the SR mount.

My main goal is ultimate suppression and not a can that carbon locks. Size and weight are not an issue here

Also looking at the magnus but really want to go all out on quiet 🤫

Currently will use on 308’s and 260 primarily but like the option to go larger if needed. Word has it the 338 ultra is even better on the smaller calibers vs dedicated 6.5/30 cal cans

Reactions: 1911hombre
    Like night and day quieter... You couldn't pay me to run a 9 over a 338 ultra

Reactions: hafejd30
    The 338 is WAY quieter.
    For most .30 cal cartridges, a full size Magnus (9" CB/BA/HUB or 9.7" SR) is just as quiet as the .338 can
    Thank you!

I may even just choose 338 over a magnus solely based on the option to go bigger if I choose.

Honestly after owning 5 cans now if I had to choose 3 to have it be TBAC 22 takedown, ultra 9 or 7 and the ultra 338.

I own the 22 and ultra 9. So just rounding out the heard now!

I have the magnus & 338SR , can’t tell any difference between the two on 6.5 & 308 . But for obvious reason I can on the 300NM.

Reactions: FuhQ and hafejd30
    Ordered the Ultra 338 Gen 2 SR today. Will be filling out the paperwork Saturday for it!
    Nice! If it's Individual, you'll have it back in less than 5 days. I just got a can last weekend. 3.5 days from certifying to approval in my inbox.

I have a TBAC 338ultra can, run it on my 300prc, very quiet and makes it a puppy to shoot. Run it on the 300ultra too, same thing.
    Run my Ultra 9 in 30cal on my 6.5saum, makes it very quiet and pleasant to shoot.

I know the numbers obviously aren’t posted yet, but any thoughts on what would win between the 338 ultra RR and the full length 338 magnus RR? For like a 338 Lapua, down to 6 creed?

Your dealer got a stamp in 20 hours from filing a form 4? Or am I missing something here?
    It was on their Facebook page. “NFA transfer quickest turn around so far, 20 hours”

I’m assuming form 4. Maybe 3 I’m not sure. Whatever form is used when an individual buys a suppressor from a dealer. I’ve done 5 so far and several SBR’s on 1’s but don’t recall exactly which it is.

Think they said form 4 individual was averaging 3 days to a week. I believe mine is coming form 3 or 4 (I think is what they said) and expected to take 2 weeks max. They said trusts are still 6 month waits

They also said their dealers are mentioning cans are getting harder to source. Assuming due to sales..?? Someone in that business I’m sure can comment further here. The Ultra 338 SR Gen 2 I have coming was one of two the dealer they order from had in stock

Can someone explain then why form 4 individual is now so fast and trust still 6 months?
    Part I was told is they streamlined the process for those who don’t flag in the system. So people who get approved right away basically cut the line and instead of waiting behind those who take more time to approve like before. How true that is I don’t know.

Maybe the trust takes more time due to more people needing approval or one of those on the trust requiring more processing time and getting tossed in a separate pile

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    Can someone explain then why form 4 individual is now so fast and trust still 6 months?
    My understanding. It's no longer first in, first out. Individuals go to 1 team, Trusts go to another. ATF is processing the Form 4's only after FBI NICS is approved (how it's always been...) BUT....

Individuals: Go through a simple FBI NICS check. If that is good to go, you get approved.

Trusts: Still go through the old process of vetting the trust and people on it.

Again, my understanding. Could be a bunch of fucking monkeys in a room, throwing darts at Form4's and those hit get approved.

I've always done trust, 12 times to be exact. Total bs that after 1st one is approved on trust that it still takes so long.
    Thanks for the info guys.

Couple questions,

1) Any issues with the SR carbon locking? I know it was a thing with the CB mount. Just want to know what to expect

2) Any reason not to go with the non timed brakes? I see no downsides and plan to shoot 100% suppressed

Couple questions,

1) Any issues with the SR carbon locking? I know it was a thing with the CB mount. Just want to know what to expect

2) Any reason not to go with the non timed brakes? I see no downsides and plan to shoot 100% suppressed
    I have never had a CB brake carbon lock. A drop of oil on threads/taper before attaching every time. Oh, and I always wait till everything has started to cool down a little before removing.

Reactions: hafejd30
    Not really.
    I don’t and won’t shoot a high volume between removing. So it should be ok either way. This will be a precision only can.

I only ask because my SilencerCo ASR 556 does carbon lock. And it can get sporty when it does. Even just snug it will. That’s on an AR though

Plan to get the non timed brakes and just wondering if there’s any issues with something like that compared to the standard brake. I’m sure there’s not. But before I order several I just wanted to double check if there’s a preference

I've always done trust, 12 times to be exact. Total bs that after 1st one is approved on trust that it still takes so long.
    Thanks for the info guys.
    IMO it's not really worth going with a trust any more. It made a lot more sense before 41P; I did all mine that way back then too. But now it's very little benefit for a lot more hassle and wait time.

Forgot to add - I got an individual Form 4 back (at my dealer, using a SilencerShop kiosk) in 3 days last week. They said they've been seeing anything between 24 hours to 30 days lately. We're in a special time for approvals right now boys.

Last edited:
    I have both the Gen 1 Ultra 9 and Gen 2 338 Ultra SR and it's not even close. It's really not even a comparison, it's way quieter. But that's not the reason why I got the Gen 2 Ultra. I need something that can suppress bigger magnums. I am sure the Ultra 9 could probably suppress the 300NM, but pretty sure not at the pace I shoot at.

As for carbon locking, having a lot of different suppressors, I just brush the muzzle device with a brass brush or take a razor and scrap the carbon off when cleaning.