• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Ultras stay tight?

oniak

Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
Oregon
Do the TBAC Ultra CB Suppressors stay tight on the muzzle brake or do they sometimes require re-tightening after a given number of rounds? Thanks guys.

I've only had my Ultra 9 in my possession for less than six months, but so far its never came loose a single time. I almost subconsciously check the suppressor after a bit of shooting so I can't say for certain about long strings of fire. Just as Ray says, they seem to get tighter while hot because of expansion, but come right off when cool.

I always ran Direct thread cans before the Ultra, and having them come loose after some shooting seemed to be an issue, especially on factory threaded barrels.

Reactions: deersniper
Thousands of rounds through my Ultra 7, never had it come even a little loose. Rock solid.

If anything it will be the reverse, when hot you probably won't be able to remove it.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
Since the late '80s I have always put copper anti-seize (the high heat stuff for sparkplugs) on my barrel threads and cranked the suppressor down as tight as I can and still be "Hand Tight". I've never had one work off and I've never had to put one in a vice because it got stuck. IMO you should have to put a little effort into unscrewing it or it wasn't tight enough to be completely safe.

Reactions: Geno C.
What do your round counts look like? I've had luck on bolt guns, but carbine classes all DT cans get stuck in my XP.

Mine comes loose every couple rounds. Clean, dirty, with or without anti seize. I've got 3 mounts and it backs off on all of them. Even with a strap wrench I get 5 rounds max. PITA to keep track of so I don't use it much anymore.

I didn't catch it in time and had a baffle strike because it backed off. I paid to have it rebuilt and checked out. Got it back and I was told the mounts and can looked good. Still came loose. I followed up but didn't get anywhere.

TBAC CB is solid. At least 4,700 thru my Ultra 7, hand tight and it never loosened up from CB. Lots of carbon build up on the brake though.

ive been shooting my TBAC since it was on the old BA design, sent it in for the recore and upgraded to the CB and Ultra core and have kept on trucking. stays tight, cold or hot. i give it that little extra wrist flick at the end when tightening and sometimes it takes some muscle to get it off after some carbon lock-up.

How many pills down the tube I think is a lot less relevant than heat and rate of fire at each use.

My rate of fire is about the same with a bolt or a gas gun, and I certainly pause every ten shots or so and let things cool off. I don't have a dedicated can for every rifle, so my cans are constantly going off and on. I have no idea how many down the pipe.

However, I can assure you that the anti-seize works. The first place I saw it used was on sub-machine guns being fully abused and punished by ripping off magazines and fast Mag changes. Those cans would melt your flesh. By the time you could touch them you could screw them off hand. It's not that they keep the can from coming off. It's that they allow you not to worry about cranking it on because it might seize. As I stated before, I crank mine down as hard as I can without using a tool. I've never hurt the threads or anything like that, and they don't come loose till you crank the opposite way.

When I lived in VA someone gave me a box of these little plastic tubes (each one good for lubing up a suppressor about ten times). It’s a multi-lifetime supply.

They’re not this brand (they say Nappa) and are about an inch long, but they look like this:
a03080101.jpg

I honestly haven't seen anyone else use it, and I don't know why because it eliminates almost all the problems with direct thread. I guess that QD brakes have come a long way and are GTG now, but I still wary of them and married to DT.

Do the TBAC Ultra CB Suppressors stay tight on the muzzle brake or do they sometimes require re-tightening after a given number of rounds? Thanks guys.
My TB 7” and 9” cans have always been tight using their brake. However, it is always good practice to check after the first 5 rounds.

Every once in a while mine will try to work loose. I put a witness mark on the back of it with a paint pen so it's easy to tell without having to touch it. Also helps verify that it's actually tight vs carbon in the threads.

I use the hellfire adapter deal from a419 with several rifles and an ultra 9 and ultra 7. I’ll typically screw it on and off and give it a nudge with the wrench that comes w the a419, it puts it just past hand tight. I’ve ran several matches with it and haven’t had it loosen up or alter POI

I didn't catch it in time and had a baffle strike because it backed off. I paid to have it rebuilt and checked out. Got it back and I was told the mounts and can looked good. Still came loose. I followed up but didn't get anywhere.

I would reach out to Zak.

My bet is he will take care of this.

Never had mine come loose off the cb brake or flash hiders

. Have had direct thread cans of other brands come loose.

I think there’s a troll in this thread. Would Ben interesting to get to the bottom of that.

Reactions: jetmd
It definetly sounds like I'm in the minority for bad experiences with this mounting system. I'll get in touch with Zak again for round two of trying to get this resolved. I'd love to have it fully functional.

It definetly sounds like I'm in the minority for bad experiences with this mounting system. I'll get in touch with Zak again for round two of trying to get this resolved. I'd love to have it fully functional.

I have issues with mine loosening up. It shows up as bullet spray on target, which ruins a good group if I am messing around at the range trying new loads. It has never loosened more than about 1/8 of a turn before I detect it but it makes me apprehensive at times. I use my Ultra 7 for two 308's, a 6.5x47, and a 300 BLK. It has loosed up on all but the BLK. So I have painted marks on the ends for each rifle with different colors to index the can when tight so I can check at a glance if it is starting to work loose. I am careful about tightening the can "just right" while trying not to over tighten it, because several times it has come off the 16" 308 with one my CB brakes still inside when it was too tight. I guess the red thread locker on the CB had melted. Anyway, I still love the Ultra 7 and I am a big fan of TBAC (their bipod I have is so badass) but I plan to relegate the Ultra 7 to my hunting rifles (low round count rifles) as soon as the new locking Dominus version is in my hands. That one will go on my comp rifle just for the extra confidence. I should add that I do not do mag dumps, and never fire more than ten rounds inside of a minute, and even that is rare. I will also try that anti-seize that Fig mentioned.

I have issues with mine loosening up. It shows up as bullet spray on target, which ruins a good group if I am messing around at the range trying new loads. It has never loosened more than about 1/8 of a turn before I detect it but it makes me apprehensive at times. I use my Ultra 7 for two 308's, a 6.5x47, and a 300 BLK. It has loosed up on all but the BLK. So I have painted marks on the ends for each rifle with different colors to index the can when tight so I can check at a glance if it is starting to work loose. I am careful about tightening the can "just right" while trying not to over tighten it, because several times it has come off the 16" 308 with one my CB brakes still inside when it was too tight. I guess the red thread locker on the CB had melted. Anyway, I still love the Ultra 7 and I am a big fan of TBAC (their bipod I have is so badass) but I plan to relegate the Ultra 7 to my hunting rifles (low round count rifles) as soon as the new locking Dominus version is in my hands. That one will go on my comp rifle just for the extra confidence. I should add that I do not do mag dumps, and never fire more than ten rounds inside of a minute, and even that is rare. I will also try that anti-seize that Fig mentioned.
Rock set is a better thread locker versus loc tite

Lock tight loses strength with heat.
Rock set loses strength when soaked in water.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
High temp red for the win.

If the can is on a CB brake "hard", it can unscrew rocksett.

It sounds like a few of you have CB's that don't stay tight. Please reach out to us and we'll see if we can get it squared away. We've never had one get loose on a CB brake in all of our testing and demo use, etc, but if it's a 0.01% problem, it's gotta be something related to the particular parts you have and we should be able to fix it.

High temp red for the win.

If the can is on a CB brake "hard", it can unscrew rocksett.

It sounds like a few of you have CB's that don't stay tight. Please reach out to us and we'll see if we can get it squared away. We've never had one get loose on a CB brake in all of our testing and demo use, etc, but if it's a 0.01% problem, it's gotta be something related to the particular parts you have and we should be able to fix it.

Zak you guys rock. One question for you... does the brake need to be clean to lock the can on? Mine looks ok around the threads and cones but there is quite a bit of carbon buildup on the ported sections of all my brakes. Maybe there’s some buildup that I’m missing on the cones. I use a rag to wipe off the inside of the suppressors cone and threads before installing but these usually are already shiny clean. But not so much the brakes themselves. Excuse my ignorance, it’s my first can.

Have you considered swapping it to an Area 419 mount? Their adapter has a hex that protrudes out the back, which can be tightened with their included wrench. Their interface is a much longer shallow taper as well, and they stay very tight.

My Ultra 9 and Ultra 5 will get just detectably loose on occasion. I'm pretty sure those are days when I probably didn't have it as tight as it should have been when I mounted it. I had a devil of a time once getting a can off that I had really torqued on, so I suppose I lean towards under torqueing vs over. When it's happened, I hit it again pretty hard and then they stay solid.

Zak you guys rock. One question for you... does the brake need to be clean to lock the can on? Mine looks ok around the threads and cones but there is quite a bit of carbon buildup on the ported sections of all my brakes. Maybe there’s some buildup that I’m missing on the cones. I use a rag to wipe off the inside of the suppressors cone and threads before installing but these usually are already shiny clean. But not so much the brakes themselves. Excuse my ignorance, it’s my first can.
No, as long as the shoulder surfaces are clean it should lock up tight.

My Ultra 9 and Ultra 5 will get just detectably loose on occasion. I'm pretty sure those are days when I probably didn't have it as tight as it should have been when I mounted it. I had a devil of a time once getting a can off that I had really torqued on, so I suppose I lean towards under torqueing vs over. When it's happened, I hit it again pretty hard and then they stay solid.
Here's another way to look at it. If you twist it on "as hard as possible" using one hand, you should still be able to get it off with two hands.. "maybe" a rubber strap wrench. If you twist it on "as hard as possible" using two hands, you aren't going to hurt anything, you just might really have to use a rubber strap wrench to get it off.

Here's another way to look at it. If you twist it on "as hard as possible" using one hand, you should still be able to get it off with two hands.. "maybe" a rubber strap wrench. If you twist it on "as hard as possible" using two hands, you aren't going to hurt anything, you just might really have to use a rubber strap wrench to get it off.

That is probably my issue then, which I’ll accept as a learning curve mistake on my end. I’ve been hesitant to really torque it on due to fear of damaging it when unscrewing it. I’ve been a little too gentle with it it sounds like.

I waited soooo long for it to arrive I didn’t want to do anything to hurt it. And being so light weight I wasn’t sure how rugged it was. I’ll start using more force when installing. Sounds like it can handle it.

Thanks again.

You guys experiencing similar lockup with the 419 parts? I am super pumped for my Ultra 7 and 22 Takedown (May hopefully) and want to run on multiple guns. Been looking at the Area 419 system and wondered what the thoughts were from the group on lockup with that as compared to the TBAC brake.

My cb is married to my can but I’ve never had a problem with it backing off. Any info on how to get my can separated from cb would be helpful?

The official answer is to red loctite the brake to a barrel and then use a strap wrench to remove the can. But I'd also soak the can and brake in CLR for a couple of iterations over a couple of days. Make sure the threads on the inside of the brake are clean and dry, then red loctite it on a barrel to fix the brake so you can strap wrench it. You can remove a red loctite'd brake by heating it with a torch.
I’ll have to try this it’s been seized up for probably 6 months

You guys experiencing similar lockup with the 419 parts? I am super pumped for my Ultra 7 and 22 Takedown (May hopefully) and want to run on multiple guns. Been looking at the Area 419 system and wondered what the thoughts were from the group on lockup with that as compared to the TBAC brake.

This kind of tightening isn't a TBAC deal, simply a suppressor deal. Not a lot of great ways to avoid it if you still want a solid/repeatable lock-up - especially not simple ones. It's one of the reasons we like to leave some provision for a hand-tool (like a little aluminum wrench that can stay in your pack) on our 419 suppressor mounts and now Maverick.

I just wanted to say that I’ve been tightening the Ultra 7 down really tight since and it has not come loose on any of my rifles. Thanks again for your help.

Still getting a Dominus though.